What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado vs. Oregon State - Nov 4 - 8PM, ESPN

We definitely have a short passing game, all of those behind the line of scrimmage plays for example. What we are missing is bail put options in particular when he go empty or even at times when we leave the RB in to block. Our play designs work when you got a Jayden Daniels. One read and run but someone like 2, i think we need go adjust the playbook.
Sorry, no vertical short throws but our horizontal passing game is definitely part of the playbook.

so much work to do.

systemic failures require systemic solutions. i just hope we can approach something like competency or utah is going to put an oregon style beat down on us.

Is Shumer going to continue to call plays?

That press conference was just weird. Things are off with this staff and team.

Time to go behind the tinted windows.
Yeah, the presser was borderline testy.

Is Shumer going to continue to call plays?

That press conference was just weird. Things are off with this staff and team.

Time to go behind the tinted windows.
He looked to me like he knows he can't out talent people but doesn't know how to deal with it.

This team probably doesn't win another game this year, so it's more important to fix this stuff for next year. Especially with the amount of misses we appear to have on this staff.

I thought the TV guy said we had like 20 yards total O at the time.
We're on the 4 yard line, with 49 seconds left.
2 choices: Run the clock out and be happy it's 7 - 4, or march 70+ yards for a score.
Clearly, you run out the clock and regroup at half - not in too bad a place.

CP's explanation, which makes zero sense to me was:
"We wanted to get out of there because we know we're receiving the ball in the second half," Sanders said. (from Buffzone today)

I love CU; 10 years as a full-time student, 2 degrees, 30 years in Boulder, many years of season tickets in FB and BB.
I think CP is the best thing to happen at CU, maybe ever.

But as I've been noting and being called names for, CP is at best an average game day coach.

His explanation makes no sense.
He is the captain of the ship.
He is responsible and, at least after that 1st pass attempt, had to know to run out the clock.

I'm proud of how the men fought back and kept their heads high.

This loss is on the coaches.

Go Buffs!
This is a math problem.

Here are the items to solve. These are knowable scenarios that can be gamed out (i.e. simulated) to get a better idea about the probabilities of success or failure.

What are the chances of:

Colorado’s OL/RB being able to sufficiently run block against an 8-man Oregon State front to gain 3+ yards? 1+ yards?

How frequently does Colorado’s OL/RB run for 0 yards against this 8-man front from Oregon State? Negative yards?

How frequently does Colorado’s QB/RB turn the ball over against an 8-man front?

Versus

How well can Colorado’s OL protect the QB for <3 seconds to throw a quick pass against an 8-man front?

How often can Colorado’s WRs catch a quick (<3 second) pass against Oregon State’s DBs in single coverage (or potentially zone coverage)?

How often can Colorado’s QB successfully release a sufficiently accurate quick pass within 3 seconds? How often does Colorado’s QB turn the ball over when releasing the ball within 3 seconds? How often is he sacked when he’s releasing the ball within 3 seconds? All against this specific 8-man front and man/zone in the Oregon State secondary.

After you perform this math problem, you can see the correct outcome. The obvious choice is not what you think.

This game was a head scratcher. Run game absent, despite some early success. Slow developing screens that go nowhere, even if a defender wasn’t in the same zip code (wtf why jump to make a catch that was catchable flat footed?!) horrible clock/game management to close out Q2. Defensive personnel…WTF is going on there. Sam Noyer could probably be a better ILB than Trevor Woods. Have Rod Ward take a seat and put Trevor back at Safety…unless Woods can be a serviceable backup QB (again Sam Noyer effect).

Offensively. If the glaring elephant in the room isn’t going to be addressed or made salvageable to get two more wins, then just run the damn ball until 9 defenders are in the box. No need to allow Shedeur to be sacrificed time and time again. You think Prime would be in the faces of the OL group and BoB after every fail offensive series…and have his headset mic in his mouth chewing Shurmur and Lewis’ ass like bubble gum during these conferences. No stupid, boneheaded series to close out Q2, then the game could have been tied with a minute or so left in Q4. Clearly there is a disconnect in this offense style that Lewis brought with him and the players that are on the roster - namely 2, who is a Pro style, pass-minded QB, and the O-line which are unable to be put on an island. Especially after 8 weeks of film are available. Despite personal feelings that these kids have, they should have a common goal.

The defense showed up, but as with the recent years of play, they are on the field too much to sustain momentum. Again, woods is NOT an ILB. He is needs to get back in his natural safety position. The plays that Juju was in for he made a presence. I say whatever his off the field stuff might be, this is his last season of eligibility, let him play these last few games.

I think Prime is learning what can and cannot be done at this level, and already has a list of housekeeping/housecleaning for the offseason. The Shurmur switch was a last ditch effort to try and spark an offense that has been figured out in a 2018 Chev way. It feels like Flea and Hart may have been better off if Prime had moved on when going to Boulder. I think Charles Kelly is fiery, but possibly a temper-liability, and not a solid DC. Especially when the skill/talent level isn’t FSU/SEC levels. It makes me wonder if Prime brought on some coaches to parlay a good/great season to landing HC gigs after a year or so? Maybe it’s just Prime scrambling a staff together in a month or so?

The team chemistry has seemed to have been switched off. On the scrambling (brought back flashbacks of peak bad Montez) plays where are the receivers at? Edwards doesn’t seem to be on the same page as Shedeur. This was not the case in September. Is Shedeur trying to do too much?

I was hoping that November would have been a magical month, but if the offense can’t string together 4 full quarters of play, it’s not going to be magical, even with the defense starting to show up a little bit.

Just gonna restate this, when people look back at the tape 2 is hurt and cant step into his throws. He missed three that he normally makes look easy and then we have two important drops. A lot of pressure on the young buffs but they're playing tough and hurt. JD has been great. SS has been good. We may lose this game but I see the future (and hope it starts in the third quarter). Does anyone know if Tramadol is legal in college football (asking for a friend)?
Rewatching the game and you are big time right
Not sure he practiced that much or made long throws in practice cause he overthrew a TD to Horn and underthrew that long potential TD to Travis. No actual pressure on either play, but he is hurt and he is hearing or seeing ghosts and is not sure on his throws. Very sad considering his normal accuracy.

This game was a head scratcher. Run game absent, despite some early success. Slow developing screens that go nowhere, even if a defender wasn’t in the same zip code (wtf why jump to make a catch that was catchable flat footed?!) horrible clock/game management to close out Q2. Defensive personnel…WTF is going on there. Sam Noyer could probably be a better ILB than Trevor Woods. Have Rod Ward take a seat and put Trevor back at Safety…unless Woods can be a serviceable backup QB (again Sam Noyer effect).

Offensively. If the glaring elephant in the room isn’t going to be addressed or made salvageable to get two more wins, then just run the damn ball until 9 defenders are in the box. No need to allow Shedeur to be sacrificed time and time again. You think Prime would be in the faces of the OL group and BoB after every fail offensive series…and have his headset mic in his mouth chewing Shurmur and Lewis’ ass like bubble gum during these conferences. No stupid, boneheaded series to close out Q2, then the game could have been tied with a minute or so left in Q4. Clearly there is a disconnect in this offense style that Lewis brought with him and the players that are on the roster - namely 2, who is a Pro style, pass-minded QB, and the O-line which are unable to be put on an island. Especially after 8 weeks of film are available. Despite personal feelings that these kids have, they should have a common goal.

The defense showed up, but as with the recent years of play, they are on the field too much to sustain momentum. Again, woods is NOT an ILB. He is needs to get back in his natural safety position. The plays that Juju was in for he made a presence. I say whatever his off the field stuff might be, this is his last season of eligibility, let him play these last few games.

I think Prime is learning what can and cannot be done at this level, and already has a list of housekeeping/housecleaning for the offseason. The Shurmur switch was a last ditch effort to try and spark an offense that has been figured out in a 2018 Chev way. It feels like Flea and Hart may have been better off if Prime had moved on when going to Boulder. I think Charles Kelly is fiery, but possibly a temper-liability, and not a solid DC. Especially when the skill/talent level isn’t FSU/SEC levels. It makes me wonder if Prime brought on some coaches to parlay a good/great season to landing HC gigs after a year or so? Maybe it’s just Prime scrambling a staff together in a month or so?

The team chemistry has seemed to have been switched off. On the scrambling (brought back flashbacks of peak bad Montez) plays where are the receivers at? Edwards doesn’t seem to be on the same page as Shedeur. This was not the case in September. Is Shedeur trying to do too much?

I was hoping that November would have been a magical month, but if the offense can’t string together 4 full quarters of play, it’s not going to be magical, even with the defense starting to show up a little bit.
So many of my exact thoughts summed up perfectly.
I like Rod Ward, but he had a chance to tackle DJ in the hole on a 3rd down run and he went submarining low with no wrap up and he whiffed and DJ got the first down.

I agree with you on Charles Kelly but I’d give him a pass and keep him for 2024 if only because there are such bigger problems that will need to be addressed. The work load for December and onward is formidable.

The playcalling is a minor issue. Something is off. Prime’s inability to ask this question then diverting to process - a flawed one IMO - is the bigger issue.
Prime is a guy who uses words like “tremendous” and “outstanding” when describing things and in the presser, he said Sean Lewis is a “good playcaller”. I think it’s telling.

There is an obvious issue with Lewis/Prime/Shedeur and Prime went a different direction for playcalling because of it. It didn’t work any better, in fact it might have been worse, and he doesn’t know what to say.

Rewatching the game and you are big time right
Not sure he practiced that much or made long throws in practice cause he overthrew a TD to Horn and underthrew that long potential TD to Travis. No actual pressure on either play, but he is hurt and he is hearing or seeing ghosts and is not sure on his throws. Very sad considering his normal accuracy.
He is definitely hurt. Nearly impossible for him to be healthy right now given the abuse he’s taken this year.

Last edited:
Gee ... who could have possibly forseen that we would lose by the 7 points we essentially gave them with the absolutely unfathonable play calling at the end of the first half?

I would really like for Shurmur, Lewis, or Prime to explain that strategy, whoever was responsible for it.
That's Prime. Not the first time he's made questionable game management decisions.......he's just not getting away with it now.

I think SS2 is just trying to survive the season at this point. I could see switching to Shurmer to accomplish that.

This season is pretty much toast. I'll be at the AZ game cheering for a dub that maybe we can match at Wazzu for a bowl game, but I think we're finishing 4-8.

There are personnel issues, and coaching issues, that have to be addressed in the offseason.

One great thing is that no one will be coming for Prime this offseason. He's gotta prove that he can correct them.

Prime has now said a million times that he would prefer to have more receivers out in the pattern than have people block
So, he is betting on his son to make a pass happen despite huge pressure
That works in Pee Wee
That works in High School
That worked at Jackson
That does not work in P5 with top-flight pass rushers
Keep SS healthy
💯

He has risen to his level of incompetence for the time being. This is where growth happens.

same can be said for almost everybody on the staff and team

Nebraska wants to welcome the Deon Sanders lead Colorado Buffalos to the race to the bottom of the trash heap.
I admire the chutzpah of coming in here - as a fan of a team that lost to a really bad MSU team yesterday - and sharing your feelings on our one-score loss to a ranked team. Well done.

I don't think nebraska and Colorado are in the same trash heap. Sorry.

Back