What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Congrats to Geer!

I don't put that much stock in 40 times when used to compare the relative speed of players with 40s in the same ballpark. Obviously a 4.4 timed guy is faster than a 4.9 timed guy, but beyond that... I don't know. There was an olympic gold medal sprinter with NFL aspirations who's best 40 times was 4.42, even though he is clearly a faster sprinter than the NFL guys reporting these 4.2 times and 4.3 times.

I don't put that much stock in 40 times when used to compare the relative speed of players with 40s in the same ballpark. Obviously a 4.4 timed guy is faster than a 4.9 timed guy, but beyond that... I don't know. There was an olympic gold medal sprinter with NFL aspirations who's best 40 times was 4.42, even though he is clearly a faster sprinter than the NFL guys reporting these 4.2 times and 4.3 times.

Oly sprinters are timed differently than combine guys. In a sprinting competition they have a gun to mark the sound of the start time. Reaction times are HUGE and it's said to drop off .1 of a second doing it this way.

At the combine the person running is free to start whenever they wish and the person timing it hits the "start" button. This way 40 times are .1 s slower, if not more so due to someone else reacting to movement.

Sprinters have the only 40 times I trust.

I've always put more stock in the pro shuttle than in the forty. Football is far more of a short area quickness sport than it is a straight line sprint sport.

Geer did do very well in one of the shuttle drills, the 20 yard TE shuttle I believe. He turned in a time faster than Dorin Dickerson, who ran a 4.40 40.

Geer did do very well in one of the shuttle drills, the 20 yard TE shuttle I believe. He turned in a time faster than Dorin Dickerson, who ran a 4.40 40.

I just saw that. 4.29 in the 20 yard shuttle (5-10-5). 2nd best among the tight ends. Strange that he didn't place well in the 3-cone drill or 60-yard shuttle (most guys do relatively equal in all 3).

btw, everyone's going to focus on Tim Tebow running a 4.72 forty. Much more telling is that he ran a better time than any of the RBs in both the 3-cone and 60-yard shuttle (would have tied for 4th in the 20-yard shuttle and the vertical). Dude's a tremendous athlete.

I really wish I didn't hold a serious dislike for Tebow, but I can't help it. I swear every time I turned on the NFL network when the QBs were on the field, they just talked about him or to him the entire time. Those shuttle drill times are amazing, though. I just wish people didn't drool all over him on TV all day long.

I really wish I didn't hold a serious dislike for Tebow, but I can't help it. I swear every time I turned on the NFL network when the QBs were on the field, they just talked about him or to him the entire time. Those shuttle drill times are amazing, though. I just wish people didn't drool all over him on TV all day long.

I seriously dislike the media coverage of Tebow. And while I don't politically or spiritually align with Tebow, he seems like a heck of a good guy. From everything I've seen, his teammates seemed to genuinely like him (both at Florida and on the all-star teams he's played on). I wish the media didn't make it so hard to root for him.

Yep, my thoughts exactly. I really don't care for people that spout religion all day long, but I could live with it with Tebow because he seems like a really good guy. I just get so tired of the overwheling media coverage of him, just like Favre.

Yes, Geer's bench is alarming. Especially considering that the top reps for QBs (21!) and WRs (20) were well above his.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers#tp-tab-set-1:tp-grid-container-bench-press

I don't think CU does the bench press in our S&C training. I believe we focus on power cleans and single-arm presses. Even so, with 3 months to prepare for the combine, Geer should have been able to do better than that if he had good core strength and just needed to work on a new lift. Just imho.

Well I think it has been said that the S&C coach isn't big on using the bench press. Unfortunately that doesn't train the players very well for the NFL regardless of what you think of how important the bench press is. The perception on Geer will have to be that he is weak and probably not much of a blocker.

I don't think Geers bench number fall on Pitt. Walters, Jones, Hypo and other have done fine in years past with bench. I think it's more of a reflection on who ever he hired to help him with his combine/pro day training.

Taylor Mays ran a 4.24 at 231 pounds. :lol:

You just know that guy is going to be out of the league in 4 years if your team drafts him, but oh my that'd be nice to have at safety.

Last edited:
Yeah we will. Just going by the WRs, we're going from Scotty and Espy to start the year, 4.7 range at best I'd think? To Scotty, Simas(..), Clemons(4.5?), Simmons(4.5), Celestine(4.5). TE we'll probably be faster with Deehan and Thornton, can't get much slower than a 4.98.

I agree with you on most of those times. I would argue Espy in in the 4.8 range, and McKnight is a mid 4.6 to a 4.7 guy. Simas I would say runs a 4.6, Clemons and Celestine the 4.5 seems correct. I'd say Simmons is a legit 4.4 guy.

As far as the backs, Speedy is a mid 4.5 guy, and Lochridge is probably upper 4.4s or a 4.5. Hansen has looked to be a legit 4.5ish type guy, and he is shifty... definitely can make plays with his legs.

Unfortunately there isn't a ton of team speed. You don't have to have a team full of burners (as guys like McKnight and Simas have proven at WR), but at the same time you need some of that speed to stretch a defense. Makes it much harder to run the ball when the safeties can play up because they aren't worried about the 4.98 TE, or the wideouts running 4.7 or slower. If you have a legit sub 4.4 guy, or a couple of them, even if you are just sending them on decoy routes, the safeties have to respect that speed.

For the life of me I still can't figure out why Simmons wasn't used more to do things like run the decoy fly patter on a draw play, or even to catch little bubble screens. McKnight and Simas are good players but they aren't going to take a screen to the house... it's not a complicated play at all, just put the ball in his hands and give him a chance... if the blocking is set up Simmons will outrun most of the defense.

Yeah I saw that, 4.24 was unofficial. They usually aren't that far off though, not sure how that happened. I still think Berry and Thomas are head and shoulders above him.

Yeah I saw that, 4.24 was unofficial. They usually aren't that far off though, not sure how that happened. I still think Berry and Thomas are head and shoulders above him.

Thomas is good. Berry is an amazing football player with solid measurables as well. The main difference between Berry and Thomas is they have football smarts and play well. Mays is a big, fast, physical player. He is good in run support, but looks absolutely lost in pass coverage, it hurt USC this year and he was definitely exposed in the Senior Bowl. In the NFL, that half second hesitation or misstep= TD or big gain for the other team. He reminds me alot of a Roy Williams type of player... very good in run support, lost in pass coverage. If he is successful in the league it will probably be in a strong safety type role where his main responsibility is the run

If I was an NFL GM, I'd look at Mays as an OLB in a Tampa-2 scheme. No way I play him at Safety. He's going to be a liability like Roy Williams was in Dallas.

Yeah I think Mays is better suited for linebacker too. He is just limited in coverage skills, dont really have much to do with straight line speed, he can do that. I was surprised with the Florida guy's 40. It is an overrated test but they do look at it.

Back