What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Coaching Discussion

Who would've thought Slider and Tini would both make Fire Mac threads on the same day?

Shouldn't be fired after this year but as soon as the season is over he needs to cut bait with a lot of deadweight coaches quickly. The nice guy help coaches land on their feet weak **** needs to go and he needs to not wait all offseason to hire mediocre coaches.

Who would've thought Slider and Tini would both make Fire Mac threads on the same day?

Shouldn't be fired after this year but as soon as the season is over he needs to cut bait with a lot of deadweight coaches quickly. The nice guy help coaches land on their feet weak **** needs to go and he needs to not wait all offseason to hire mediocre coaches.

wow, hadn't been on scout. tini must be on some ****

There are many people on this board that tend to the negative, some thrive on it. Others have had overly optimistic outlooks. When things are not going well, the negative nancies always come out, they neglect the good that has been done and don't realistically asses what was possible (instead inserting what they hoped or wanted as the minimum outcome). Sadly this is typical of the hot takes era of sports. So here are my thoughts:
1. @tsarbomba I would agree that any comments that are anti-semitic (racist or otherwise generally against the accepted order of this board) should be grounds for punishment. I didn't see the comment (mods do a good job of deleting crap like that quickly) so I won't make any further judgements on it. Ultimately it is up to the mods to meet out punishment, but those on the board can also police things by calling out and shunning people that violate the civility of this board.
2. I think it is safe to say most on this board have been following football, participated, or coached so we all bring our built in biases, however if we were really "experts" we wouldn't be posting on a message board, we would be getting paid for that knowledge and would be the ones being criticized by a message board, so take any analysis with a grain of salt.
3. Mac I believe has demonstrated some coaching acumen and has shown the willingness to make changes when necessary. You don't have to be an asshole to be successful. Mac also realized that until the new contracts law was passed, he needed to show that he wouldn't drop someone without giving them a fair opportunity. He also realized that because of this law, great assistants weren't going to be beating down our door. Coaching staffs that turn over constantly also tend to lead to weaker performance.
4. 4-3, that is our record to date. Is it where we wanted, no, but that is based on preseason expectations from last years results. I figured we would be a 7 to 8 win team this year, hoped for more. Will I be disappointed if we only get 5 or 6, yes, but I am not going to call for the coaches head. I think a couple changes need to be made to the staff that are overdue and I would like to see a better focus on finding more promising talent in the interior.
5. We are establishing a nice running game, we need to keep developing it. Montez needs to get some timing issues worked out, some receivers need to start catching the close balls, and the line needs to be able to pick up the stunts (almost all the pressure comes from delayed blitzes and stunts).
6. Oliver, as good as he is does not make an entire defense. We have been decent on most passing downs, but the lack of pass rush hurts. Our D-line needs to hold position better and keep the o-line from reaching our linebackers.
7. Special teams is improved this year. I didn't really enjoy seeing the short kickoffs today but overall I haven't seen much to complain about.

So to sum up, step back from the ledge, get a beer and relax.

@MtnBuff can you condense and summarize this please?

I think HCMM will be back next year.

But, unless he catches religion with regards to recruiting this offseason, all bets are off after that.

I was hoping that once he had a good recruiter on staff, that he would "see the light" and try and get more good recruiters. That hasn't seemed to happen.

It may require RG laying down the "you will hire 3 above average recruiters this year, one as the 10th coach and replace two" law, and then a year or two from now MM saying "that was the best direction I was ever given," but our recruiting has to improve.

Forget about stars, at this point it would be an improvement if every position coach had multiple players on the two deep that they recruited.

I'm kinda bewildered, is this a parody thread?

1982597-blue_parrot2.jpg

This thread is ****ing ridiculous.

That does not mean I’m happy with the product on the field this year.

Do you assholes remember where this program was 4 years ago?
Making a ****ty team a respectable team, and making a respectable team a championship team are not the same processes.

Just because someone is really good at the first process, and has successfully completed that process, does not mean that they will be good at or even able to accomplish the second.

Making a ****ty team a respectable team, and making a respectable team a championship team are not the same processes.

Just because someone is really good at the first process, and has successfully completed that process, does not mean that they will be good at or even able to accomplish the second.

This is entirely reasonable.

This thread is still ridiculous.

My only response to this thread: there are no short cuts* back from where we were 5 years ago. The best you can hope for is gradual progress or fits & starts, which I feel is what we're seeing now. It will take time, and I don't expect that MM will lead us all the way back (but we could do worse, I would wager). I'll take this over 2012 any day.

*Unless you want to take shortcuts that could make & then eventually break your program. See **** bailer for a cautionary tale.

If winning against a bad team is a fireable offense Dabo Sweeney should be available after Clemson lost to Syracuse. We should call his agent.

People need to calm down. Is this season going like we wanted? No. But we are one loss worse than most predicted (most on here thought UW and UCLA were losses) and the loss to UA came after a Michael Vick impersonation (that he replicated today). Still a lot of season to go. Take a deep breath and have a beer. We won today.

For practical reasons, we aren't firing Mac. We aren't throwing his entire extension at him to go away.

For the sake of sanity, we aren't firing Mac. He just won national coach of the year and took us to the P12 championship game. Schools that have been as bad as we have been don't then fire that coach a year later.

Mac deserves and needs to get another go at it. He needs to make serious changes to his staff and reconsider his own personal stance on recruiting.

What I am trying to say is why would you trust someone who failed so completely when picking the first two times (ron Collins & DJ Eliot [Leavitt was obviously RG's guy]) to try again? At some point you have to cut your losses and stop trying, before it gets any worse. Like stepping away from the black jack table before you end up broke

You lost me with Ron Collins, troll.

For practical reasons, we aren't firing Mac. We aren't throwing his entire extension at him to go away.

For the sake of sanity, we aren't firing Mac. He just won national coach of the year and took us to the P12 championship game. Schools that have been as bad as we have been don't then fire that coach a year later.

Mac deserves and needs to get another go at it. He needs to make serious changes to his staff and reconsider his own personal stance on recruiting.

I agree, but I think he's on the hot seat going into next year if he can't win 6 games with the easiest OOC schedule this program has had in decades.

Agreed that MM isn’t getting fired, nor should he be.

Elliot, OTOH....

See Elliot, I'd be cool with being fired, not Mac. This was ugly today sure. I believe it was Duff that said you gotta win ugly sometimes, I agree with that completely. Many here know I'm a White Sox fan, Hawk always talked about "winning ugly." We did win and on the road, I'll take it.

4-3

We won today, right? On the road? Overcoming all the injuries on defense? Emotionally keyed up opponent?

Yeah.

Weird to see the mood of this board after being unconnected all afternoon and evening.

It wouldn't be Allbuffs without overreaction.

See Elliot, I'd be cool with being fired, not Mac. This was ugly today sure. I believe it was Duff that said you gotta win ugly sometimes, I agree with that completely. Many here know I'm a White Sox fan, Hawk always talked about "winning ugly." We did win and on the road, I'll take it.
Elliot was a bandaid hire to make it look less like Leavitt was the brains behind the defense. It’s pretty obvious that Leavitt leaving had a significant impact on the program in more than one way.

Back