What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Coaching Discussion

4-3

We won today, right? On the road? Overcoming all the injuries on defense? Emotionally keyed up opponent?

Yeah.

Weird to see the mood of this board after being unconnected all afternoon and evening.

It isn't weird when you consider that OSU is absolute garbage and that CU's run defense is some of the worst I've ever seen.

So you guys are about style points? Winning doesn't make us happy any more?

Yes? This sounds like the type of post we would read during the Embree years when we would randomly win a game.'We won! All sunshine and rainbows!'. We would try to convince ourselves that the garbage we saw was excusable and that it would all be fixed for the next game (which it never was)

If you watch this game and can't see that this team and this coaching isn't going to get us where we want to go (namely a bowl), and you aren't concerned by that... well...

Yes? This sounds like the type of post we would read during the Embree years when we would randomly win a game.'We won! All sunshine and rainbows!'. We would try to convince ourselves that the garbage we saw was excusable and that it would all be fixed for the next game (which it never was)

If you watch this game and can't see that this team and this coaching isn't going to get us where we want to go (namely a bowl), and you aren't concerned by that... well...
Concerned is different than upset. I have a lot of concerns and I was really worried about today considering the injuries at NT with the style of team we were playing. I'm really happy to get a win and stop the bleeding of the losing streak (the last 2 being really tough, close losses). Should be healthier next week on defense and the offense is starting to play well.

I thought it was a great day.

Buffs won.

And both Nebraska and bailer got rolled.

I honestly expected the board to be pumped up tonight and have been blown away by what I've seen. Talk is about firing coaches. Very little about Bobo's great game or Lindsay killing it and now being just a few yards from a thousand yard season already. I expected Allbuffs to be celebrating the win.

Concerned is different than upset. I have a lot of concerns and I was really worried about today considering the injuries at NT with the style of team we were playing. I'm really happy to get a win and stop the bleeding of the losing streak (the last 2 being really tough, close losses). Should be healthier next week on defense and the offense is starting to play well.

Buffs won.

I honestly expected the board to be pumped up tonight and have been blown away by what I've seen. Talk is about firing coaches. Very little about Bobo's great game or Lindsay killing it and now being just a few yards from a thousand yard season already. I expected Allbuffs to be celebrating the win.

Right... and it feels like we're on different planets then. Today was very concerning.

Right... and it feels like we're on different planets then. Today was very concerning.
I guess you thought this team was great before today and expected something different.

Call me a troll blah blah blah. We are horrible and it is 100% on him

It's funny how we have forgotten the '11 3-10, '12 1-11, '13 4-8 '14 2-10 & '15 4-9 seasons so quickly. I am not saying expectations haven't risen within the program since last year. But building a program takes time. We have history and tradition to build off of, but we were in the ****ter for years. Yes, we went 10-2 last year with a heavy senior team. We lost 8 of our defensive starters and D coordinator. How can we honestly expect to go 9-3/10-2 this year? I was hoping for 6-6 or 7-5 from the start with back-to-back bowls.

I think you're a ****ing fair-weather fan or a fan that knows absolutely nothing about the game. Probably never played a down in your life. ****ing joke.

It's funny how we have forgotten the '11 3-10, '12 1-11, '13 4-8 '14 2-10 & '15 4-9 seasons so quickly. I am not saying expectations haven't risen within the program since last year. But building a program takes time. We have history and tradition to build off of, but we were in the ****ter for years. Yes, we went 10-2 last year with a heavy senior team. We lost 8 of our defensive starters and D coordinator. How can we honestly expect to go 9-3/10-2 this year? I was hoping for 6-6 or 7-5 from the start with back-to-back bowls.

I think you're a ****ing fair-weather fan or a fan that knows absolutely nothing about the game. Probably never played a down in your life. ****ing joke.

There is no building happening in this program right now. Building is recruiting above the level of your predecessors. That isn't happening in this program right now and it doesn't look like it is going to under this staff. That's the bottom line.

No one would be mad about this season if the staff was killing it on the recruiting trail and the games were exactly the same. CU is going to be in the bottom half of the Pac 12 year in and year out without a sustained commitment to recruiting.

If Gambia is the best we can muster at ILB....he is a huge liability at any sweep or broken play. Our DL GETS manhandled and our DBs seem lost out there. That coupled with MW caliber recruiters....we are CSU...
Always said Mac is a DUD recruiter..a little eccentric and boring. Could accept a transition year if we were smoking it on the recruiting trail. We are getting killed recruiting defensive front 7...

They showed a replay from the zona game and I couldn't tell who it was? Anyway he just had to get the receiver on his back. He just happened to miss the rb who ran right past him. Never seen that bull**** before, I mean ever.

Mac isn't going anywhere this season.
Next season will be very telling. We ara going to see a youth movement on the offensive side of the ball. Lots of young faces with little or mostly no playing time. That is when you see what "talent" we recruited. These kids are going to have to be ready to play.

This year maybe telling as far as recruiting for Mac. His first few classes were in 60s or 70s nationally, last year in the 30s. This year we will see where it ends up, currently middle of the pack in the PAC 12.

What worries me most is the lack top end 4* talent. All the teams in front of us in the PAC 12 recruiting for thus far have as many or more 4* recruits for 2018 then MAC has recruited in almost his whole time in Boulder.

Either they just have philosophy of recruiting the kids they want and coaching them up, or they can't get the top end to come to Boulder. It's not an exact science I know, but more top end talent gives you the best chance to consistently compete at higher levels.

Has Mac or the program every talked about what their philosophy is in recruiting. Do they only recruit certain kids? Do they not take chances? Character and academics top of list?

This is where I'm at. In addition to the new faces on offense, I'll be looking to see the young lb's on d,too. Lewis looks the part, and if he can continue to develop that should help. I'll be interested to see who from the 17 class can step in to the lb group-Landeman or Van Diest?

Mac isn't going anywhere this season.
Next season will be very telling. We ara going to see a youth movement on the offensive side of the ball. Lots of young faces with little or mostly no playing time. That is when you see what "talent" we recruited. These kids are going to have to be ready to play.

This is where I'm at, too. In addition to the young faces on offense, I'll be interested in the lb group on D. If Lewis can continue to develop, he's athletic enough. Can VanDiest, Landeman or Jones step in to contribute?

It isn’t that he can’t recruit, it just isn’t easy. Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Michigan and USC get all the top 100 while a few others swoop in to snag a few, based purely on name. The rest of the schools are fighting for the crumbs that fall through the cracks. We offer every kid you can imagine, doesn’t mean they want to come here. But they’ve got to find a way to convince them, I can agree on that. We’ll never go anywhere without immediate impact recruits.

It isn’t that he can’t recruit, it just isn’t easy. Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Michigan and USC get all the top 100 while a few others swoop in to snag a few, based purely on name. The rest of the schools are fighting for the crumbs that fall through the cracks. We offer every kid you can imagine, doesn’t mean they want to come here. But they’ve got to find a way to convince them, I can agree on that. We’ll never go anywhere without immediate impact recruits.
This isn’t true though, tons of coaches pull top 100 recruits. No one is sitting here saying he should be pulling a top 10 class, just that he needs to be in the 20’s and 30’s every year. That means he needs to sprinkle in some big time recruits in the top 200’s.

This isn’t true though, tons of coaches pull top 100 recruits. No one is sitting here saying he should be pulling a top 10 class, just that he needs to be in the 20’s and 30’s every year. That means he needs to sprinkle in some big time recruits in the top 200’s.

It is true though. I didn’t feel like posting all the schools but it’s always those schools ole miss, Georgia and the SEC. All I’m saying is about 10% of the schools get the top 10% with the majority going to the same schools year after year after year. Not that meyer and Harbaugh aren’t good coaches but with the classes they have if you can’t win, you deserve to be fired. My main point was luck gets you a 5 Star these days and the 4 stars are almost the same.

https://247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=Highschool

Gamboa needs to be able to run free. He can't shed blocks and make a play. Last years Dline really helped him out. This year they haven't at all. I view Jeffcoat and the Dline as the biggest issue with this team. I know this is no revolutionary thinking, but a solid Dline makes everyone else look better.

Buffs won.

Dad is disappointed in us......

This team really looks like s**t, but if Syracuse, Cal, and ASU (maybe) can beat top 10 teams then I suppose maybe we could pull out a surprise or two this season.
I feel like CU is literally the only team in the country that can’t/hasn’t been able to for years.

They showed a replay from the zona game and I couldn't tell who it was? Anyway he just had to get the receiver on his back. He just happened to miss the rb who ran right past him. Never seen that bull**** before, I mean ever.
Pretty sure it was Laguda. I was screaming at the TV when it happened.

So you guys are about style points? Winning doesn't make us happy any more?
Yes! Lack of style points against ****ty teams is a real concern for me. And we’ve proved it matters. When matched up against “similar” teams like UCLA, Arizona; I would be happy with just a win. But we proved that since we can’t win big against ****, we can’t win against anything but ****.

It is true though. I didn’t feel like posting all the schools but it’s always those schools ole miss, Georgia and the SEC. All I’m saying is about 10% of the schools get the top 10% with the majority going to the same schools year after year after year. Not that meyer and Harbaugh aren’t good coaches but with the classes they have if you can’t win, you deserve to be fired. My main point was luck gets you a 5 Star these days and the 4 stars are almost the same.

https://247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=Highschool
There were over 20 teams that grabbed a top 100 recruit last year, including the buffs. That is definitely not the top 10% of teams.

I'd like someone to explain the DC hire and why this clown is worth $700k. It was clear he was not the best when hired, but heck, he's a coach, so throw the money at him. We would have been much better off with someone who understands the game. Barnett yesterday: after a big 3rd down screen pass, 2nd half, 'they should have known that a draw or screen was coming. they seemed to have no awareness'. 3rd quarter, after a big 3rd down pass over the middle 'they know if they put that man in motion, CU's defense opens up in the middle and they can get any easy gain. 3rd time this game. ucla did it a number of times last week. osu watched the film' (but we didn't?)

Why does anyone care how much CU is paying Eliot? They are paying him market rate for a P5 DC. Whether he’s a good one or not, they have to pay for the position, and it’s a good thing that they are showing the commitment to pay assistants.

Back