What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Not sure how that matters. They've been in the Top 25 enough for long enough that their football brand can draw an audience, their home market gives a needed bump of in-market cable homes, and the rest of the teams in the conference rely on SoCal for recruiting so a presence is needed.

It's a no-brainer for expansion if that's the path.

My big question is who to take for #12?

I think that outside of raiding the Big 12, if we look at the MWC it would be Fresno State, Boise State and UNLV in some order.

P.S. The move might be to take all 4 on a reduced share deal.
If they aren't dipping into the Big 12 and "brand" matters, then Boise has to get the call for #12. I get that they don't have the households, but they are an elite G5 brand, and yes, any G5 additions to the conference should be taking significantly less of a rev share.

Last edited:
Not sure how that matters. They've been in the Top 25 enough for long enough that their football brand can draw an audience, their home market gives a needed bump of in-market cable homes, and the rest of the teams in the conference rely on SoCal for recruiting so a presence is needed.

I think that outside of raiding the Big 12, if we look at the MWC it would be Fresno State, Boise State and UNLV in some order.

I vote for Vanderbilt.

Good academics. Huge endowment. Better fit with PAC12 than the SEC (even location is not that far off). Nashville is an interesting, modern city with a great nightlife and a good media market. Access to "southern" recruiting. A reasonable chance at a conference win each year.

And the WHOLE reason I went there: painfully hot southern belles. (Yes. I was there on the M.R. degree and ALMOST landed a trust-fund baby.)

How did you miss that being the whole point of my post? We can't sit and just take OR & UW saying they're committed. We need to go do whats best for us - which I believe is the B12 for the next 7-10 years if a GOR can be executed with a short term like that in their new media contract(s). Something tells me their new deal won't be more than 10 years - expiring right when the ACC GOR expires also. Then it's armageddon.

How did you? They’re all going to say they’re committed until they’re not.

I vote for Vanderbilt.

Good academics. Huge endowment. Better fit with PAC12 than the SEC (even location is not that far off). Nashville is an interesting, modern city with a great nightlife and a good media market. Access to "southern" recruiting. A reasonable chance at a conference win each year.

And the WHOLE reason I went there: painfully hot southern belles. (Yes. I was there on the M.R. degree and ALMOST landed a trust-fund baby.)

Almost like in you dated until her dad told her to get rid of you or almost like she looked in your direction in class once and you had to go use the restroom?

It completely blows my mind that some would prefer adding a couple mid tier MWC Schools than an immediate move to the B12. In what world would adding a couple MWC Schools be better than the B12 in just about every category (money being the overwhelming number one)?

While I don’t disagree, didn’t the B12 just add three, G5 schools? It’s really the same situation a year later.

It completely blows my mind that some would prefer adding a couple mid tier MWC Schools than an immediate move to the B12. In what world would adding a couple MWC Schools be better than the B12 in just about every category (money being the overwhelming number one)?
You do know that in the Big 12 that TCU, UH, Cincy, BYU and UCF (5/12) were all promoted from G5?

The road trips, dammit! Think of the road trips! And no way in hell CU can ever be in the same conference with Baylor again. Or BYU! CU needs to be with likeminded academic institutions!

You do know that in the Big 12 that TCU, UH, Cincy, BYU and UCF (5/12) were all promoted from G5?
What Duff said. Cincy, UCF, BYU and Houston were the three biggest G5 brands in big, football crazed hotbeds and one of them just made the CFP as a G5 program, and the other went undefeated a few years ago. You're talking about programs in markets that couldn't give a rat's ass about football

Last edited:
I can't remember my login to read it. But I agree and have for a long time.

The 3 obstacles have always been:

UCLA & Cal were strongly opposed to admitting a member from the Cal State system

SDSU is an R2 on Carnegie ranks of research intensity. Pretty much everyone in Power Conferences is an R1.

San Diego was considered an owned territory by the Pac and, particularly the LA & AZ schools, didn't want to have to compete harder for recruits there.

I think most of those reasons have either been flushed by recent events of made much less consequential now that it's a matter of survival.

Just transport the football program to UCSD and all those problems disappear!

We aren't raiding the B12 lol. Why would any one of those schools come make less money with us, and playin crappier time slots?

Step 1) Join Big 12
Step 2) Big XII absorbs ACC leftovers
Step 3) BIG/SEC form new league to jettison deadweight from their leagues
Step 4) BigXII absorbs those leftovers
Step 5) Blue bloods are NFL-lite in their super league and the Big XII league is the home of “real CFB”

Wouldn’t be surprised if this is end-game. Also wouldn’t be surprised if the super league (see: Icarus) follows the fate of all NFL competitors and crashes back down into our CFB league and everything gets scaled back to old school again

What Duff said. Cincy, UCF, BYU and Houston were the three biggest brands in football crazed hotbeds and one of them just made the CFP as a G5 program, and the other went undefeated a few years ago. You're talking about programs in markets that couldn't give a rat's ass about football
And you guys are talking about programs in markets where they are trampling the rights of women, ethnic minorities, LGBTQ+, the poor, the mentally ill, and anyone who believes in a secular society. I guess many of you want to associate with that because those folks seem to care more than average about football.

My strong preference is that the Big 12 can fvck right off. Stay with a group that doesn't make me want to puke and delivers at least as much likelihood of a path to the B1G (which is the only move that would matter).

That scenario basically trades USC for SDSU, how is that not a net negative?

There is no school out there that can replace USC in the PAC and if UCLA has to stay put, adding SDSU could keep the PAC together for the long run. That is if the television money remains respectable which doesn't appear to be a forgone conclusion.

The four current Cali schools seem to march as one powerful group. There is no guarantee that SDSU (CSU vs UC system schism) will be marching with the three remaining Cali schools on conference matters and that could benefit the non-Cali schools in this conference more.

And you guys are talking about programs in markets where they are trampling the rights of women, ethnic minorities, LGBTQ+, the poor, the mentally ill, and anyone who believes in a secular society. I guess many of you want to associate with that because those folks seem to care more than average about football.

My strong preference is that the Big 12 can fvck right off. Stay with a group that doesn't make me want to puke and delivers at least as much likelihood of a path to the B1G (which is the only move that would matter).
Oh my.

You would have to deal with plenty of that in the B1G. Just sayin'.

There is no school out there that can replace USC in the PAC and if UCLA has to stay put, adding SDSU could keep the PAC together for the long run. That is if the television money remains respectable which doesn't appear to be a forgone conclusion.

The four current Cali schools seem to march as one powerful group. There is no guarantee that SDSU (CSU vs UC system schism) will be marching with the three remaining Cali schools on conference matters and that could benefit the non-Cali schools in this conference more.
I don't like Rocky Road ice cream.

Back