What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

I would jump at that deal, if I were OR or WA and yes, that makes it a foregone conclusion the four corner schools end up in the B12 and the leftovers are ****ed.
I wish one of those two names was Colorado instead, particularly if the reduced revenue split had a limited timeline on it.

I understand it for Oregon but it is hard for me to understand Washington being asked to take a smaller cut of the money. That is a large media market, a good fan base and a great school.

I understand it for Oregon but it is hard for me to understand Washington being asked to take a smaller cut of the money. That is a large media market, a good fan base and a great school.
Washington is negotiating from weakness. I think that explains it.

Their best alternative to a negotiated agreement (BATNA) with the B1G is seemingly to stick with the PAC.

Timing becomes more important. Probably time for the 4 Corners schools to pick up the phone. And if they aren’t all on the same page, CU needs to find 1 of the other 3 that’s ready now and go.

A PAC without OR and WA that starts adding a few Mtn West teams pretty quickly becomes a mutant hybrid with an even worse media deal than it might get now. It’s time to go.

The simple goal is CU in a P5 conference with all of its football games on TV, preferably linear TV for now. Not rocket science.

Timing becomes more important. Probably time for the 4 Corners schools to pick up the phone. And if they aren’t all on the same page, CU needs to find 1 of the other 3 that’s ready now and go.

A PAC without OR and WA that starts adding a few Mtn West teams pretty quickly becomes a mutant hybrid with an even worse media deal than it might get now. It’s time to go.

The simple goal is CU in a P5 conference with all of its football games on TV, preferably linear TV for now. Not rocket science.
You mean the P4 st this point, unfortunately.

This would be a bold move by the presidents.
The Commish is subject to the Presidents anyways, and FOX, NBC and CBS are driving the bus anyways.

Networks tell the Presidents how much extra they will pay for those programs, the Presidents work with Oregon and UW to determine if they’re willing to accept that, negotiations ensue.

the endless stream of ****ty news is bumming me out, man.

imma gonna take it poorly.

well, at least if we land in the "big" 12, we will know for certain we are the coolest kids on the block.

also, **** bailer.

Is Washington really a great national ratings draw, though?
I've posted this data before in this thread, but over the past few seasons, Oregon has been the ratings juggernaut of the conference (even over USC):

Washington does well, but not as well as Oregon. Those numbers aren't verified by "SicEmGoBearsCoverUpThemRapesAndMurders365.com", so take it with a grain of salt.

In looking for my post containing that information, I stumbled upon that "Fanbase Size Estimate" that the media consultant put together, and it's clear why the B12 would love to get their hands on the Four Corner schools:

1678118450084.png
1678118497158.png

if that data is to be believed, ASU has a bigger fanbase than any B12 school, and all 4 schools would rank in the top half of a new "Big16"

Why is that hard to understand? It is like free agency, you take what people are willing to pay or you lose out. Washington has no leverage to negotiate a full share because the Big 10 knows what the market conditions are today. Back when expansion was the thing, it might have been different. If I can get $40 million by leaving the PAC12 vs $25 by staying which should I take.

Does anyone think there's a "path of least resistance" mentality that should be considered for programs like Oregon and Washington? They can go make $40m in the B1G starting in 2024, which is half of all 16 other B1G programs are going to be making, and then have to go through Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Iowa, and USC (not to mention each other), in order to have a chance at winning the the B1G title. It's the same issue Texas and OU are going to find in the SEC.

Oregon and Washington are 2-3 loss programs every year in the Pac 12. What will they be in the B1G when they are a medium fish in a big pond?

Just kind of feels like there's a 5-6 year window here for non-SEC/B1G programs to make a run at the playoffs, and then make a move.

I have not followed this discussion.
I do know Colorado is a lot more attractive with CP, than it was before. I'd offer him a 5 year extension, then a switch to being the AD. And, a discount card at 'Hazel's Beverage World'.

Does anyone think there's a "path of least resistance" mentality that should be considered for programs like Oregon and Washington? They can go make $40m in the B1G starting in 2024, which is half of all 16 other B1G programs are going to be making, and then have to go through Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Iowa, and USC (not to mention each other), in order to have a chance at winning the the B1G title. It's the same issue Texas and OU are going to find in the SEC.

Oregon and Washington are 2-3 loss programs every year in the Pac 12. What will they be in the B1G when they are a medium fish in a big pond?

Just kind of feels like there's a 5-6 year window here for non-SEC/B1G programs to make a run at the playoffs, and then make a move.
Your scenario makes perfect sense in an environment not completely driven by money grubbing but it seems like that bridge has been crossed. The watershed event was UT and OU joining the SEC and setting off all these other dominoes.

yes, the path to the playoffs with a guaranteed spot for the pac seems a lot easier.

this assumes: voters are able to see enough games that whatever comes out of the pac is not just an auto bid but considered a contender. and, it assumes that whatever tv deal can be done for the pac doesn't permanently disadvantage the pac.

these are the 2 big questions i think. if the pac can manage a deal comparable to the b12 without a 100 year GoR then they are better off staying together at 10 or 12 teams. if you listen to all the haters on the east coast, this seems unattainable right now. i guess we will see.

Your scenario makes perfect sense in an environment not completely driven by money grubbing but it seems like that bridge has been crossed. The watershed event was UT and OU joining the SEC and setting off all these other dominoes.
Yeah, the only reason I think it's possible that Oregon could be thinking like that is because Phil Knight so desperately wants them to win a Natty, and I see their path as significantly tougher in the B1G than the Pac 10. If the number to stay in the Pac is $25m, while the number for going to the B1G is $40m (hypothetically), is $15m/year really worth it to mostly likely have no shot at winning a National Championship?

I know Knight isn't the decision maker, but I feel like there's a good argument for Oregon to stay in the Pac at less money and be the odds on favorites most years for the next 6 years to win the Pac and get the auto bid to the playoff. In the best case scenario for them, they are able to compete in the playoff at least a few times, maybe win it all once, and then they are just as valuable, if not more, for the next B1G media deal.

The Big 12 and the Pac 12 (if the conference stays together) are both going to get at least one team in the Playoff, same as the B1G, SEC and ACC, and Oregon is likely the favorite to get that auto bid regardless of which of those two it plays in. Joining the B1G, otoh, probably puts them as a long shot to even make it as an at-large bid.

Agree with the above that the PAC seems to make a lot of sense for Oregon in the short term. Money is not a huge concern. They should not be worried about having a seat at the table. The PAC is still strong enough, that an undefeated or one loss season should land a program in the college football playoff. And that is a lot easier now that USC and UCLA are out of the conference. The rivalries with Oregon State and Washington are strong.

Back