What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Would you feel better in we called it Buc-ee's Conference? The Big12 will take us back whenever we want.
fox artists on tumblr GIF by Animation Domination High-Def

the truck stop 12 is our money gimp.

The data that I referenced compared apples to apples by network. It did not solve for time slot.

Can I see your data? That would be helpful.
Sam Bradshaw did a pretty good breakdown and series of ratings comparisons across college football and a general response/critique to Mandel’s methodology. It incorporates things like channels, timeslots, etc. Also provides a good example of why general averages that disregard channel and time slot are flawed. It doesn’t include data from 2022-2023 since these were put out last summer and fall.

It’s comes in two parts but it is an interesting discussion for those that like numbers and statistics. It is a little lengthy.

The TL;DR summary is the two conferences’ and their leftovers are largely comparable with a lean to the Big 12.

Big 12 vs. PAC numbers and response to Mandel methodology:

Discussion as it relates to all college football and individual team rankings:

You can call the Big 12 Buc-ee's if you like, but the rest of the country will be calling the PAC irrelevant (assuming the PAC even exists a month or so from now).
please share which of the truck stoppers you represent. i promise to mock your team if we fall into this conference.

You can call the Big 12 Buc-ee's if you like, but the rest of the country will be calling the PAC irrelevant (assuming the PAC even exists a month or so from now).
I use to laugh at ISU, KU, KSU years ago, maybe it's a good thing we've been buried in the no longer relative PAC.

Sam Bradshaw did a pretty good breakdown and series of ratings comparisons across college football and a general response/critique to Mandel’s methodology. It incorporates things like channels, timeslots, etc. Also provides a good example of why general averages that disregard channel and time slot are flawed. It doesn’t include data from 2022-2023 since these were put out last summer and fall.

It’s comes in two parts but it is an interesting discussion for those that like numbers and statistics. It is a little lengthy.

The TL;DR summary is the two conferences’ and their leftovers are largely comparable with a lean to the Big 12.

Thanks, appreciate the data. It looks like they are indeed pretty close, which was not at all what the original poster was implying. Using the below as the smoothed summation chart, I still think the PAC has the edge, but I also agree that we are splitting hairs. Also, the four new entrants into the Big 12 would bring the average down, although I realize those schools get less exposure in G5 than they would in a P5 league. They were not included in the below chart. However, it seems that only Cincinnati outdrew Colorado, by a whisker, and both teams have had polar opposite W/L records.

1677989682436.jpeg

Personally, I think a merged 10-member Pac12 with the six or seven best Big 12 schools would have been the best end game.

Last edited:

LMAO

I appreciate all the work that guy did, but for all the **** he talks about Mandels methodology his is far more flawed.

The next time I want or trust statistical analysis from something called “SicEm365” will be a first.

To a lot of folks that don't respect or like CU, it's this kind of attitude that makes them believe CU grads are unjustifiably haughty. I promise you that an SMU degree has more cachet in most parts of Texas than a CU degree does; the same goes for a BYU degree in Utah. (Grades being equal, etc.) CU is a fine school, but overrating it comes off as provincial and odd.
…OK.

I don’t give a **** whether some guy in Weasel****, Texas is more impressed by an SMU degree or a CU degree.

The fact of the matter is that all four of those schools are smaller, private, non-secular schools, none of which are AAU members and nearly all of whom are not R1 universities (the only exception is Baylor, who recently was classified R1).

So no, we’re not the same.

Last edited:
So much arrogance here and for what?
This arrogance is why things are at this point. PAC 12 presidents thought they were so much better all the while letting Larry Scott run the conference into the ground. Same arrogance that recently let the Big12 swoop in and pull off a coup and negotiate the majority of the remaining tv slots that were still available.

So much arrogance here and for what?
This arrogance is why things are at this point. PAC 12 presidents thought they were so much better all the while letting Larry Scott run the conference into the ground. Same arrogance that recently let the Big12 swoop in and pull off a coup and negotiate the majority of the remaining tv slots that were still available.
The snobs killed the Pac-12. It is dead.

Time to head to the Midwest and kick some KSU ass!

rebutting your rebuttal-- the point is to try to hold together long enough to draw a better outcome later. we sign our lives away to the ****ing big 12 and we are stuck with the ****ing big 12 and all that entails.

maintaining optionality over time is our best option, imho.
What have you seen from Kliavkoff that makes you think he's capable of pulling off a TV deal that makes remaining in this conference make sense?

I'll wait.

What have you seen from Kliavkoff that makes you think he's capable of pulling off a TV deal that makes remaining in this conference make sense?

I'll wait.
fact is, we don't know. the narrative is being driven by a bunch of ****-head pundits who are actively working to break up the pac. some due to self interest and a whole bunch others due to the usual bias against the west coast.

you don't know whether or not he will succeed yet. neither do i. the public picture appears to be grim but one never knows until one knows.

hey, right now, i am going to hope the pac sticks together and lands a tv contract worthy of the quality of the schools left compared to the truck stop conference.

and then i hope the pac sues ESPN, usc, ucla, the big 12, and several drooling talking heads for tortious interference.

We need a real rivalry again. The nebraska game was circled on the calendar every year to look forward to.

I can’t feel any real rivalry with Utah as our rival. Does anyone else?

Question for everyone….Looking at conference expansion and where we end up …… in the big 12 or pac, who would you like to be our rival going forward?

We need a real rivalry again. The nebraska game was circled on the calendar every year to look forward to.

Question for everyone….Looking at conference expansion and where we end up …… in the big 12 or pac, who would you like to be our rival going forward?
I don't see much of a natural rival in either conference.

Neither league has good options.

In the PAC, our travel partner would remain Utah. And I guess that would remain our (forced) rival. I think Oregon would feed much more of the rivalry energy, but CU would be after Washington and Oregon State in the Duck’s view.. Maybe Arizona, but again playing second fiddle toASU.

In the Big 12, I’m not even sure who would be the travel partner if the 4 corner schools jumped. Utah and BYU would be instant rivals and travel partners. It’s entirely possible that CU could be lumped into a midwestern pod with KU, KSU, and ISU since AZ, ASU, Utah, BYU make too much sense as its own pod.

The Big Ten and Nebraska make the most sense honestly.

Last edited:

West Virginia: Jed Clampett never understood the Cee-ment pond and Granny put too many dandelion greens into her possum stew.

Actually, there are no rivals. It has to develop out of competition or some real-life animosity.

Last edited:
These next two years of Nebraska games are going to show how valuable that rivalry is for TV, and it’s going to dwarf anything Nebraska currently has going in the B1G.

Hopefully it’s enough to get Fox, NBC and CBS to decide the B1G needs that game as part of its inventory every year

Neither league has good options.

In the PAC, our travel partner would remain Utah. And I guess that would remain our (forced) rival. I think Oregon would feed much more of the rivalry energy, but CU would be after Washington and Oregon State in the Duck’s view.. Maybe Arizona, but again playing second fiddle toASU.

In the Big 12, I’m not even sure who would be the travel partner if the 4 corner schools jumped. Utah and BYU would be instant rivals and travel partners. It’s entirely possible that CU could be lumped into a midwestern pod with KU, KSU, and ISU since AZ, ASU, Utah, BYU make too much sense as its own pod.

The Big Ten and Nebraska make the most sense honestly.
There won't be pods. SEC and B1G are going to protected rivals + rotating, Big XII will most likely do the same.

We built our NU rivalry through playing meaningful games. Once we start competing, we can start developing rivalries.

It's ancient history, but Utah was our rival when games with them decided the RMAC. If our games decide Big 12/Pac 12 championships it'll be a rivalry.

Back