What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Well- to be fair, ITB only says what he wants to happen, not what he thinks will happen.
Well, then why the hell are people arguing with him?

I don't care if he has ****ty taste in football watching preferences.

If he likes cheering for a team that plays in the midamerica truck stop conference, there's nothing stopping him from getting a KjSU diploma in his spare time on Wednesday nights.

The rest of us have standards though - he should recognize that.

Well, then why the hell are people arguing with him?

I don't care if he has ****ty taste in football watching preferences.

If he likes cheering for a team that plays in the midamerica truck stop conference, there's nothing stopping him from getting a KjSU diploma in his spare time on Wednesday nights.

The rest of us have standards though - he should recognize that.
I wish that the PAC would not have lost USC and UCLA. I wish once it was known they were 'out' that GK had gone on the offense and tried to steal Okie St, Texas Tech, BYU and Houston but he didn't. Instead he tried to spread idiotic statements that UCLA was going to lose money by leaving. I'm being a realist that the PAC is not for long the way I want it to be.

I wish that the PAC would not have lost USC and UCLA. I wish once it was known they were 'out' that GK had gone on the offense and tried to steal Okie St, Texas Tech, BYU and Houston but he didn't. Instead he tried to spread idiotic statements that UCLA was going to lose money by leaving. I'm being a realist that the PAC is not for long the way I want it to be.
I agree that the pac should have gone on offense, and that they should have realized that "there are no rules" when it comes to this stuff.

BYU, Okie Lite and TTU were never going to be in the mix for a variety of reasons (whether you agree with those reasons or not is irrelevant, they were never going to be in the mix). But Houston and KU could've worked. If you really need so cal, add SDSU (There really isn't any reason you can't have an odd number of schools, the Big 10 had 11 schools for almost two decades - if you need it for scheduling reasons for other sports, add UNLV or UNM as non-football and done.)

But that ship has sailed.

Well, instead of everyone having to travel to SoCal at least once, if not twice a year, they now only have to go once or maybe not at all. The other possible trip would be to Dallas.

This really feels like a completely irrelevant concern.
Travel partner is the wrong term. Idk the origin of it (did teams used to travel together?). For mbb it’s more of a travel circuit a team has to take to complete one trip. And their nearest neighboring school follows them on that circuit. For fb it’s the logistics related to the trip (flying, gear, all that) but it’s not about partners.

So, for mbb it’s not necessarily an issue for us because other teams will go to Boulder-Dallas for that circuit to complete one trip. Likely not an issue because SMU is in Dallas and is a major US hub. As far as getting trucks of fb gear to Dallas, I don’t know a whole lot about that side of logistics. And I’m not familiar with all of their other sports.

For football we would probably pick up a guaranteed game in Dallas every other year as SMU will likely be an annual game for us. So that works for us.

I’m on board with SMU but I just don’t know if it’s in the bag like SDSU. Not necessarily bc of the travel but more that it’s a fairly small school (11K) without a national or even much of a regional following. Do they add enough value? Probably. And if we want to ever get into Texas this is likely our best option with Rice being the other one.

Eleven can work for Football, there does not have to be a bye week, rather each school has a game with probably the ACC. I would use the Vegas stadium for as many big games as possible because when you send 1 team from one league to another, a neutral field is fairer.

12 in basketball again works as it always has

I could buy into all of this.
I was thinking that, too. An odd number could work if the ACC idea pans out.

On the question someone had on linear vs streaming, let’s say Pac-12 expands to 12:

6 games total (most weeks). How do we get to 50% linear?

-Linear broadcasts
1 game on ESPN Saturday night P12 After Dark

1 game on ESPN2 Saturday afternoon
OR
1 game on ABC Saturday afternoon (big games only)

1 game on Turner (TNT/TBS) Saturday afternoon

-Streaming broadcasts
1 game on Amazon Friday night
1 game on ESPN+ Saturday late afternoon
1 game on Apple timing tbd (or 2 games on ESPN+)

That gets us to 50% linear. Does anyone think this far fetched? I don’t think so. The argument is over slotting 2 games on linear networks because we already know 1 game will be ESPN Saturday P12 after dark. I’d put the Amazon game as a bigger ratings draw than the 3rd linear game.

Some weeks it’ll take less to get to 50%.

Week 6 - 4 games
Week 8 - 4 games

Seems like an overblown issue when you look at the possible options.

We really need to find a way to get KU into the Pac so Dennis Dodd switches allegiance and becomes a Pac fanboi.
It's such a ridiculous premise, too. The networks just need inventory and content. Had the Pac been proactive, they'd be the one sitting there with the contract the Big 12 got, and the Big 12 would be in their position. Anyone acting like the networks need the Big 12, specifically, has their head up their ass. That statistics show the Pac has more fans, more support, more money, significantly better ratings across the board, etc. The conference is just in a bad negotiating position at the moment, but Dodd and every other B12 fanboi is delusional if they believe the networks would rather have any Big 12 game over games featuring Oregon, Washington, Utah and now Colorado. Those four programs are about to dwarf anything the Big 12 has to offer.

Gonna need you to stop using common sense and channel your inner @Darth Snow and #PANIC
Panic? I don't panic. I just know that the inevitable heat death of the universe is coming. As is the next round of buff ****. There's nothing we can do, just be calm and accept it. And hope is unnecessary

There was a time where it was going to be announced by Christmas or early January at the latest.

It feels like this is about Apple/Amazon working through the legal stuff as it's been mentioned
meh... there is currently no deal

The PAC has continuously moved up their timeline though different mouthpieces and shills for their conference.
Good, bad or indifferent, it's a bad look just like almost anything the conference has done or been associated with.
I have no confidence in the leadership. If GK pulls a deal out of his ass that surprisingly is a unicorn I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong.

meh... there is currently no deal

The PAC has continuously moved up their timeline though different mouthpieces and shills for their conference.
Good, bad or indifferent, it's a bad look just like almost anything the conference has done or been associated with.
I have no confidence in the leadership. If GK pulls a deal out of his ass that surprisingly is a unicorn I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong.
Pac-12 has done a horrible job of PR. Beyond real problems of strategic mistakes and failure to get teams into the CFP and then the loss of LA, there's been a complete failure of brand management which fuels perception being worse than reality and people being quick to assume the worst. There's a lot to fix.

idiot GIF by andregola

It is ... interesting ... how people here seem to be making a connection between their personal poltical allegiances and a school's conference affiliation or how they're turning a school's conference affiliation or a person's affinity or disaffinity for a specific conference into a cultural or political topic. Damn those "Coastal elites".

It is ... interesting ... how people here seem to be making a connection between their personal poltical allegiances and a school's conference affiliation or how they're turning a school's conference affiliation or a person's affinity or disaffinity for a specific conference into a cultural or political topic. Damn those "Coastal elites".
Or alternately, damn those “redneck truck stop yokels…..”

my total idiot thoughts:

-It would be nice to have a deal already locked up for comfort sake so we know where it all stands
-people say the B12 was smart to jump the line, maybe they were especially in light of the economy. But if the P12 winds up making more money than them, was it still smart?
-maybe it is just amazon/apple taking forever due to new at the game stuff
-maybe the P12 is just ****ed
-maybe the B12 is the play for CU and the AZ schools
-maybe it's smart for the P12 to hold out a bit and see if offers improve or new ones come in? idk, I haven't negotiated a bunch of huge media deals personally

in general, this doesn't feel great, but I also don't know if we need to adhere to some arbitrary deadline for the sake of nothing? It'd be nice for them to announce SDSU joining if for no other reason than I think they'd improve the conference as a whole on the athletics level. idk if they'd instantly be Utah good in football, but they've had some years where they'd be upper echelon of the P12 probably. And if the money just isn't there, I'm not against a B12 move

my total idiot thoughts:

-It would be nice to have a deal already locked up for comfort sake so we know where it all stands
-people say the B12 was smart to jump the line, maybe they were especially in light of the economy. But if the P12 winds up making more money than them, was it still smart?
-maybe it is just amazon/apple taking forever due to new at the game stuff
-maybe the P12 is just ****ed
-maybe the B12 is the play for CU and the AZ schools
-maybe it's smart for the P12 to hold out a bit and see if offers improve or new ones come in? idk, I haven't negotiated a bunch of huge media deals personally

in general, this doesn't feel great, but I also don't know if we need to adhere to some arbitrary deadline for the sake of nothing? It'd be nice for them to announce SDSU joining if for no other reason than I think they'd improve the conference as a whole on the athletics level. idk if they'd instantly be Utah good in football, but they've had some years where they'd be upper echelon of the P12 probably. And if the money just isn't there, I'm not against a B12 move
It could possibly be that the PAC is OK letting this play out over the long-ish term, but the signs aren’t encouraging. I think the 4 Corners schools have a window with the B12 and it may not be there forever despite some of the stuff that’s posted here on AB.

There are four subsets of the PAC that have real commonalities: Cal/Furd, the 4 Corners,
Wazzu/OSU, and WA/OR. The situations and interests of these pods don’t match up for the most part and it behooves each pod to see its own strengths and weaknesses and make its own decisions independently.

I get why people roll their eyes at the CW, but its got a great linear distribution system that you can pick up with rabbit ears at no cost.
If they want to make a move toward being the 5th major network, sports programming is a big step. Pac-12 football and basketball would have a ton of value to them. Owned by Nexstar, which apparently owns more tv stations than anyone. Isn't a crazy idea

If they want to make a move toward being the 5th major network, sports programming is a big step. Pac-12 football and basketball would have a ton of value to them. Owned by Nexstar, which apparently owns more tv stations than anyone. Isn't a crazy idea
That’s right. It’s got OTA channels in every major market, and it made its first move into sports by broadcasting LIV Golf. It wants more sports content.

The way I see the CW is that it provides linear distribution, but importantly linear distribution outside of a cable package. So, it’s operating in the same space as ABC, NBC, CBS as opposed to ESPN or FS1. It would also be exclusively focused on the PAC 12, so you might get a Friday night game, plus three nationally televised slots on Saturday. No other network can really offer that.

At the very least, it’s another potential bidder, which is never a bad thing.

Most content on linear stations like CW, CBS, etc are indistinguishable these days (aka, bad). If you’re watching shows, it’s Netflix, etc.

But do I like the goofy name or that they have absolutely no history doing real sports? No. That’s scary. (Sorry not counting LIV).

So, it might not feel big time but the distribution is there and the money will be, too.

Let’s pair down what we do know by windows:

1 game on ESPN Sat night
1 game on Amazon Friday night
1 game on Apple TBD

We need 3 more slots. Would CW buy 1-2 of those? Maybe the crap games that currently air on P12N. All I know is with Coach Prime we will be on the max exposure network for every game.

Honestly I could land us a f’ing deal by morning if I had access to all of the info and power of attorney to sign off on it.

Back