What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

It's the most wide open conference in the P4 with no traditional blue blood and a bunch of teams that can't sustain high level success. That's why Utah is right in thinking it's probably going to be the heavy favorite to win the B12 next year. In year one with Prime, CU's recruiting class was better than every Big 12 program not named Texas and OU, which is also why CU fans are optimistic that the Buffs will probably be a co-favorite to win the conference.

I love that UU and BYU are both in the B18 conference together. Weird things can happen when you have two hated rivals playing each other every year.

It's the most wide open conference in the P4 with no traditional blue blood and a bunch of teams that can't sustain high level success. That's why Utah is right in thinking it's probably going to be the heavy favorite to win the B12 next year. In year one with Prime, CU's recruiting class was better than every Big 12 program not named Texas and OU, which is also why CU fans are optimistic that the Buffs will probably be a co-favorite to win the conference.
Recruiting class ranking as a metric of success are no guarantees, as proven by Texas and KSU almost every year at opposite ends of that spectrum. They're primarily driven by click bait sites. Furthermore, how much effort do NFL teams put into scouting potential draft picks? It' a much smaller pool, that is more heavily vetted, and it still has busts. Not saying they're irrelevant, but Texas Tech is learning how misleading they can be.

I'm of the opinion the Big XII will rotate through top team and it will be fun to watch. Outside of OSU, Michigan, and Pedo State I find the BIG to be a terrible viewing product. SEC is at least entertaining, but I try to avoid it.

Recruiting class ranking as a metric of success are no guarantees, as proven by Texas and KSU almost every year at opposite ends of that spectrum. They're primarily driven by click bait sites. Furthermore, how much effort do NFL teams put into scouting potential draft picks? It' a much smaller pool, that is more heavily vetted, and it still has busts. Not saying they're irrelevant, but Texas Tech is learning how misleading they can be.

I'm of the opinion the Big XII will rotate through top team and it will be fun to watch. Outside of OSU, Michigan, and Pedo State I find the BIG to be a terrible viewing product. SEC is at least entertaining, but I try to avoid it.
You're not going to get very far here if the center of your debate is that recruiting rankings and stars don't matter, but do you.

However, I generally agree with what you're saying about the parity in the conference. The only caveat I would say is that CU (with Prime) is really the only B12 program that has the potential to recruit in the top 10-15 consistently, which if done over multiple years, will eventually put them in the same position that UT and OU find themselves in right now.

The thing is, whether you're recruiting blue chip or 3* classes, you're going to miss at around the same rate. Stars matter a ton. But coaching and culture also do. Texas sucking was not because of poor recruiting.

I don't know anyone who isn't a dumbass who wouldn't prefer more blue chip players in their team's recruiting & portal class.

I truly think a heated rivalry could build with BYU. Talk about two diametrically opposed schools/fanbases.
I'm curious how this will unfold. BYU and CU have only played twice since World War II: 1981 (Folsom) and 1988 (Freedom Bowl). I didn't attend either and recall that things were largely civil. Who knows what future encounters will look like?

When CU comes to Provo, I fully anticipate that BYU will roll out the welcome mat.

I'm curious how this will unfold. BYU and CU have only played twice since World War II: 1981 (Folsom) and 1988 (Freedom Bowl). I didn't attend either and recall that things were largely civil. Who knows what future encounters will look like?

When CU comes to Provo, I fully anticipate that BYU will roll out the welcome mat.

Well, it's kinda like this: for whatever reason, and I SWEAR it's not our fault, other fanbases seem not to like us.

Of course, we respond to these things with the utmost dignity and respect, always taking the high road, but it never seems to matter.

Well, it's kinda like this: for whatever reason, and I SWEAR it's not our fault, other fanbases seem not to like us.

Of course, we respond to these things with the utmost dignity and respect, always taking the high road, but it never seems to matter.
Unrelated, but every true CU fan thinks the next 5 or so minutes of this video (up until 41:35) is pure poetry. "WHAT HAPPENED" makes me giggle.

I did not know 2 had gone over to the student section BEFORE the drive too. That's... goddamn beautiful.

Shilo talkin **** to the mascot is a wonderful capper too.

*….never seems to Mata.

Get with the program, Al.

It’s really only one fan base that doesn’t like us. and nobody likes them, so I’m guessing the problem lies with them, not us.

Funny how a lot of middling Pac 12 teams think they're going to dominate the Big XII. Utah I understand, and you guys are justifiable, but I saw an AZ guy talking about running the conference. Even ASU thinks they could start to turn it around. I know none of the Hateful 8 were big football brands, but everyone but Kansas been good at some point over the last decade, which is more than you guys can say. Glad to see Pac 12 hubris will survive the conference. I was worried for a minute there.

Final record for you guys...6-6 I'd say...maybe you sneak to 7. About where I think my Cyclones will be. Bene a fun season so far, though.
I have always liked Iowa State and you have a good coach, but from this season forward, with Coach Prime, with Texas and Florida recruiting grounds in his grasp, plus the commitment to being as good as we were from 1988-2005, you really are gonna doubt where we are headed?

Colorado will join the Big 12 with more Conference Championships in the Big 8/12 than anyone else who stayed in the conference or was there the whole time.

Colorado has 6 total Big 8/12 Titles
Kansas State has 3 Big 8/12 Titles
Oklahoma State has 2 Big 8/12 Titles
Kansas has 1 total Big 8/12 Titles
Iowa State has ZERO Big 8/12 Titles

Going to the PAC12 at the same times as Neutering our football program was an epic disaster. I consider us resetting back to 2001 days and running it back old style with Prime.

Look forward to seeing the Cyclones again.

I have always liked Iowa State and you have a good coach, but from this season forward, with Coach Prime, with Texas and Florida recruiting grounds in his grasp, plus the commitment to being as good as we were from 1988-2005, you really are gonna doubt where we are headed?

Colorado will join the Big 12 with more Conference Championships in the Big 8/12 than anyone else who stayed in the conference or was there the whole time.

Colorado has 6 total Big 8/12 Titles
Kansas State has 3 Big 8/12 Titles
Oklahoma State has 2 Big 8/12 Titles
Kansas has 1 total Big 8/12 Titles
Iowa State has ZERO Big 8/12 Titles

Going to the PAC12 at the same times as Neutering our football program was an epic disaster. I consider us resetting back to 2001 days and running it back old style with Prime.

Look forward to seeing the Cyclones again.

Don't forget that CU has the most recent national title.... in 1991...

The rivalry with Utah might actually be fully embraced when we are playing each other over and over for conference titles
^^^^This
The bad blood between CU and ne didn't truly begin until we started to compete with them on a level year and year out where the game decided a conference title....got even more heated when a NC was at stake.
From 1972 until 1986 it was a dead zone for me OU & ne fed on everyone in conference.
Times have changed and as a boomer I can see that and I hope to live long enough to see a legit rivalry again...as long as red is involved.

Funny how a lot of middling Pac 12 teams think they're going to dominate the Big XII. Utah I understand, and you guys are justifiable, but I saw an AZ guy talking about running the conference. Even ASU thinks they could start to turn it around. I know none of the Hateful 8 were big football brands, but everyone but Kansas been good at some point over the last decade, which is more than you guys can say. Glad to see Pac 12 hubris will survive the conference. I was worried for a minute there.

Final record for you guys...6-6 I'd say...maybe you sneak to 7. About where I think my Cyclones will be. Bene a fun season so far, though.
To this I'd say middling P12 this season is light years above middling B12...and I despise the P12 and wish we'd never left.
I'm old enough to remember when ISU was in a constant struggle with KU to stay out of the cellar of the B8/12. ISU's ascension from the bottom has floundered for many seasons and has peaked since hiring a good coach since CU left.
It'll be fun to see CU vs ISU again...I'm looking forward to "normal".
As far as asu & az ...you're going to have to learn to take them with a grain of salt...
The P12 has 5 NFL quarterbacks the B12 has 2 maybe 3

Last edited:
History has shown that ISU had a good QB in Purdy and the coach reaped the benefit. No Purdy and coach is all of the sudden middling.
Funny how that works.

Like how Saban was at his peak with Hurts, Tua and Jones while the teams that blasted him during that run had Burrows or Lawrence.

Or how Clemson peaked with Deshaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence.

Georgia breaks the mold a bit. They remind me of the old Miami teams with such dominant defenses and offensive playmakers that the QB being a game manager who makes good decisions with moxie is enough to win a championship.

Funny how that works.

Like how Saban was at his peak with Hurts, Tua and Jones while the teams that blasted him during that run had Burrows or Lawrence.

Or how Clemson peaked with Deshaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence.

Georgia breaks the mold a bit. They remind me of the old Miami teams with such dominant defenses and offensive playmakers that the QB being a game manager who makes good decisions with moxie is enough to win a championship.
So true reminds me of Pesavento keys to the Caddy just don't wreck it.

Back