What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Quoting this guy only because he is supposedly quoting Thamel behind a pay wall. If Amazon wants more than just the Pac 10/12, could they work with the B1G and/or Big12 to drive consolidation?

Quoting this guy only because he is supposedly quoting Thamel behind a pay wall. If Amazon wants more than just the Pac 10/12, could they work with the B1G and/or Big12 to drive consolidation?

That's what Thamel wrote in the article.
Very specific stuff. He knows something is up.

everyone hating on USC, but if Colorado had been in their position, I don't think I'd want the admin to play it any different than USC and UCLA did (specifically oppose expansion to not lock into a long term GoR while trying to plan our Pac 12 exit)
How about how the LA schools threw their support behind Scott and the notion that wide distribution and revenue were not as important as 100% ownership, premium rates, carriage of all of the Pac-12 networks, and celebration of Olympic & women's sports? Then deciding to derail attempts to fix the mistakes while plotting to leave for more revenue?

They were bad actors who made critical errors, but were fortunate enough to be in one of the most valuable college markets.

That's what Thamel wrote in the article.
Very specific stuff. He knows something is up.
The only problem is they would have to convince ESPN, Fox, CBS and NBC to reopen the contracts for B1G and Big12 before they even go into effect. Amazon would effectively have to subsidize the additions and allow those networks to keep the top inventory

How about how the LA schools threw their support behind Scott and the notion that wide distribution and revenue were not as important as 100% ownership, premium rates, carriage of all of the Pac-12 networks, and celebration of Olympic & women's sports? Then deciding to derail attempts to fix the mistakes while plotting to leave for more revenue?

They were bad actors who made critical errors, but were fortunate enough to be in one of the most valuable college markets.

That's nice and idealistic but in the world of conference realignment every institution is going to do what's best for them.

I wasn't aware of the bolded at all. I'm not clear if you're suggesting that was part of some grander scheme to damage the Pac while they were plotting an exit.

That's nice and idealistic but in the world of conference realignment every institution is going to do what's best for them.
I know that and don't have a problem with it. I have a problem with them being a driving force behind the problem, an arrogant obstacle to fixing the issues, and then people trying to justify their actions as "good business" when they were terrible business stewards from the jump who are nothing more than rats given an escape hole.

I know that and don't have a problem with it. I have a problem with them being a driving force behind the problem, an arrogant obstacle to fixing the issues, and then people trying to justify their actions as "good business" when they were terrible business stewards from the jump who are nothing more than rats given an escape hole.
Yeah, you’re also talking about an institution in UCLA that has so poorly managed finances that they basically had to take the B1G pay day, and SC who stopped caring about football for a decade and ultimately drug the Pac down, and then killed the idea of meaningful Pac expansion because they were going to the B1G

Honestly, this makes a lot of sense. Expansion numbers don’t work when adding remaining PAC 12 schools, but if Amazon comes in with a sublicense for content, now you may be able to move several teams to the Big 10 and Big 12. I would still think some of the Big 10 new additions would have to take a reduced share. Big 12 additions probably not.

Most likely scenario, under the sub license theory, would be Cal, Furd, UO, W to Big 10. Four corners to Big 12. Right?

That's fair, especially if they were purposely trying to derail things for their own benefit

Someone has probably said this previously because I’m not that smart but the Pac-12 isn’t going to compete on media markets at this point. BUT we can create a differentiated product that attracts new eyes/tv sets. The best way to do that is through a two tier relegation system.

Step 1: Swoop up the top AAC and MWC teams we want and two priority markets in the Big12 to get to 24 total teams.

Step 2: Divide the conference into 2 12 team tiers. Existing P5 schools in the top G5 in the bottom. tier one schools get 60% of revenue

Step 3: 2 teams get relegated and 2 get promoted. Regular season top conference record and winner of tier 2 tourney get promoted. Bottom 2 from tier one go down.

Step 4: promote the chaos and pray to god Coach Prime stays for 3 years.

All I can do is laugh.
This is so so bad. Worse than the PAC12 Network bad.

Maybe streaming is the future but the future isn't now. Linear broadcasting is the way right this instant and isn't going away anytime soon.

Christ ! Get the **** out of the dead man walking PAC and join the BIG12 NOW !!

I don't know the numbers overall. I don't think I know anyone under 40 who has cable, so I assume streaming is the future. Heck, even my late 70s parents went to YouTubeTV.

Really, all I want is the biggest revenue deal possible. I'll adapt and we can revisit all this in the next round of realignment & media deals.

I don't know the numbers overall. I don't think I know anyone under 40 who has cable, so I assume streaming is the future. Heck, even my late 70s parents went to YouTubeTV.

Really, all I want is the biggest revenue deal possible. I'll adapt and we can revisit all this in the next round of realignment & media deals.
Again, streaming may be the future for live sports, but that future isn’t before 2030.

All I can do is laugh.
This is so so bad. Worse than the PAC12 Network bad.

Maybe streaming is the future but the future isn't now. Linear broadcasting is the way right this instant and isn't going away anytime soon.

Christ ! Get the **** out of the dead man walking PAC and join the BIG12 NOW !!
Apple TV should be an improvement from the Pac12 network for number of subscribers. The Pac12 network supposedly has under 15 million subscribers.

Apple TV supposedly has between 25 and 40 million subscribers. (They don't release their true numbers)

Nobody watches MLS
Average viewership for 2022 regular season was 343,000 when on ABC/ESPN.

Average NHL viewership this current season on ESPN/TNT is 373,000.

It's really close now for the MLS to overtake NHL and we really should be talking about having 5 major pro sports leagues in the US instead of 4. (I was surprised by these numbers even though I knew that franchise valuations had recently seen MLS on par with NHL.)

Again, streaming may be the future for live sports, but that future isn’t before 2030.

You know all of what I'm about to say, but just want to put it our there for clarity purporses:

I think we need to separate the streaming of games vs. being exclusively on a streaming service. Many of us on here stream games on ESPN, Fox, etc. using Hulu, Fubo, Sling, etc. You can get ESPN, Fox, FS1, etc. on just about any streaming service but if the Pac10 goes to AppleTV then that wil be your only option to get the games. Most of us on here will subscribe to AppleTV but as far as exposure nationally the typical college football fan won't do that, therefore limiting the exposure of the conference once again, just like with P12N.

Another question is will an AppleTV subsription be enough to get the Pac10 games or will there be an extra charge for that? Which is what they're doing with MLS.

MLS signed over all their games to Apple TV. Future is now for them and they are much bigger fish than the Pac 12

There's an extra charge for MLS games according to the article:

The service is about to start a 10-year, $2.5 billion agreement with MLS in which it will have the global rights to stream all the league’s games with an all-inclusive package that will be $99 for subscribers. An all-in deal similar to MLS’s agreement would be more in line for the Pac-12 with Apple.

not everyone has fast enough internet to even view a game plus sports bars etc will not have it at all

I’d be thrilled with Apple TV from the customer perspective. Their content is great, it’s easy to get, and kicks the hell out of the pac 12 network. No idea what the numbers would be, but it wouldn’t shock me if more people have Apple TV than the pac 12 network.
I understand the narrative around overall distribution right now. However, I totally agree that this is so easy from a customer perspective. You pay $5.99 (or $8.99 if that’s the bump) per month and get all the Apple content, including the PAC 12.

If the games are on ESPN, you have to pay anywhere from $40 to $90 per month in a bundle, with a bunch of crap that nobody wants (like Fox News).

From the responses, clearly there is a schism between linear TV holdouts and streamers. I think you linear tv holdouts are bat **** crazy.

Last edited:
Back