What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

well, this portends something i suppose.

i do not think it unreasonable to ask the pac to show us the ****ing money. it has been a year.

Colorado, the academic flagship of the Big 12 Conference

Cool Story Bro GIF by Retro Future E-Girl

As I've said before, CU is in that isolated geographic spot. For recruiting, we're a small oasis in the middle of the blue chip desert. For conference affiliation, we went from being the western outlier of the Big 12 to being the eastern outlier of the Pac-12.

Athletically, we identify more closely with TX and the midwestern plains.

Academically and culturally, the university identifies more closely with CA and the pacific region.

I could see this breaking either way since there isn't a perfect fit. Pac has the advantage since there's no change needed for that choice. Big 12 has to offer significantly more money to cause CU to move. In personal terms, if I'm happy in my job in CA then I'm not taking a new job in TX unless I'm offered a lot more.
I think one of the big issues that not a single one of the "pro truckstop 12" posters has even acknowledged, let alone engaged with in a meaningful way is the alumni connection.

When we moved to the Pac-12, I was very leery of the move, but then I read that CU had more alumni in California than in Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma and Texas combined, and that Seattle, San Francisco and Los Angeles each individually had more alumni than any single metro area (including DFW), and most of the states in the B12.

That made sense to me. A chance to regularly reconnect with more alumni presented a potential fund raising windfall. If the university as a whole (not just the AD) has had increased traction with west coast donors since the move, that's something, and a dollar amount, that simply cannot be ignored.

And, big point: none of us have no idea what that number is. It could be that there was no difference, or only a minor difference of a few hundred thousand a year, or it could have moved the needle more significantly than any of us are aware. We just don't know, and can only speculate.

Once we learn what the decision is, and what actual distribution numbers look like, we'll be able to make some better guesses as to what the fundraising windfall has (or has not) been from "reconnecting" with the west coast alumni.

I think one of the big issues that not a single one of the "pro truckstop 12" posters has even acknowledged, let alone engaged with in a meaningful way is the alumni connection.

When we moved to the Pac-12, I was very leery of the move, but then I read that CU had more alumni in California than in Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma and Texas combined, and that Seattle, San Francisco and Los Angeles each individually had more alumni than any single metro area (including DFW) in the B12.

That made sense to me. A chance to regularly reconnect with more alumni presented a potential fund raising windfall. If the university as a whole (not just the AD) has had increased traction with west coast donors since the move, that's something, and a dollar amount, that simply cannot be ignored.

And, big point: none of us have no idea what that number is. It could be that there was no difference, or only a minor difference of a few hundred thousand a year, or it could have moved the needle more significantly than any of us are aware. We just don't know, and can only speculate.

Once we learn what the decision is, and what actual distribution numbers look like, we'll be able to make some better guesses as to what the fundraising windfall has or has not been from "reconnecting" with the west coast alumni.
Yeah. On the impact of those donor connections, all we really know is that the Champions Center got built (completed in 2015) and that we went from unable to fire Dan Hawkins in 2009 to being able to fire Dorrell and hire Sanders in 2022.

Yeah. On the impact of those donor connections, all we really know is that the Champions Center got built (completed in 2015) and that we went from unable to fire Dan Hawkins in 2009 to being able to fire Dorrell and hire Sanders in 2022.
Another point is that if there has been a meaningful increase in donations from west coast alumni, that would make a more compelling business case for the endowment to provide ongoing operating funds to the AD, possibly even making up for any shortfall between different conference payouts.

But, we don't actually know if there has been a meaningful increase. It appears to me, from the things you note and others, that there has been an increase, but I don't review the university books.

When we moved to the Pac-12, I was very leery of the move, but then I read that CU had more alumni in California than in Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma and Texas combined, and that Seattle, San Francisco and Los Angeles each individually had more alumni than any single metro area (including DFW), and most of the states in the B12.

Once we learn what the decision is, and what actual distribution numbers look like, we'll be able to make some better guesses as to what the fundraising windfall has (or has not) been from "reconnecting" with the west coast alumni.
This was evident at road games where a lot of local alumni would come to the games. I made it to a few, and the CU contingent was always rather impressive. We would definitely lose that in the B12.

This was evident at road games where a lot of local alumni would come to the games. I made it to a few, and the CU contingent was always rather impressive. We would definitely lose that in the B12.
Always great turnout for a bad team.

When we were in the old b8 turnout was great too— lots of fun road-trips to less than glamorous locations.

There are some locations in this b12 that I am very unlikely to see and I hit a ton of road games every year— almost always more than home games since we have been in the pac.

It will be interesting to see all the various impacts.

Always great turnout for a bad team.

When we were in the old b8 turnout was great too— lots of fun road-trips to less than glamorous locations.

There are some locations in this b12 that I am very unlikely to see and I hit a ton of road games every year— almost always more than home games since we have been in the pac.

It will be interesting to see all the various impacts.
The big difference was that in the old B8, the CU fans would actually travel (no CU alumni in Lincoln, Ames, Stillwater). In the P12, at least half if not more of the CU fans at road games are folks who live in the area. The P12 was (and still is) a great way to connect with West Coast alumni.

I know four, count 'em, alums who live in Arky. So there.

If you twist things out of shape enough you could argue that they are on par with the cost of living in Silicon Valley.
Or you could just compare the median home price in each place and not have to twist anything out of shape at all.

Back