What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Go Big Or Go Home GIF by HGTV
This lady likes to be married as much as CU likes to change conferences.

Call me crazy-but I'll take a full crowd seeing a college game with a loud sellout in Ames or Manhattan versus a Rose Bowl that is 90% empty or at Cal or Stanford.
The Rose Bowl is just uncomfortable to sit at. I used to be able to get a free ticket—great location—almost anytime, cause I had a UCLA friend with four tickets and up an close parking pass who struggled to get enough people to join him. I went twice. lol

If Pete Thamel is correct, that means either UA, ASU, & Utah stay in the Pac-12 OR leaves for the Big 12.

The AZ BOR agenda did not specify which school the meeting is for. Could be just UA. Could be just ASU. Could be BOTH.

Nothing posted on the Utah BOR at this point.

If Pete Thamel is correct, that means either UA, ASU, & Utah stay in the Pac-12 OR leaves for the Big 12.

The AZ BOR agenda did not specify which school the meeting is for. Could be just UA. Could be just ASU. Could be BOTH.

If they jump as a group, does Fox give all 3 full share?

I liked the news that OR/WA to the Big 12 could result in an additional $2M per school since it gives the conference enough inventory to fill all of ESPN's late time slots.

So we could be looking at about $34M per year if they come.

I think UA announces the move. No way they take $20M vs $32M and play in that basketball conference while all games are on AppleTV.

Once that domino falls, it's going to force UO/UW to a decision and if they stay then I don't know if the Big 12 goes to 16 in football. (Though I could see UConn and SDSU invited for non-football with a fb scheduling agreement - or Gonzaga).

I don’t understand his tweet about schools leaving being on the hook for something
All 12 of us have a pro rata share of the debt from stealing from Comcast. The main carrot to stay is that the Apple deal pays off that debt for those who remain in the conference.

The other new enticement he reported is that Apple is now willing to buy PACN for an amount which would be able to pay the G5 buyouts while getting that financial albatross off the books.

I don’t understand his tweet about schools leaving being on the hook for something

It sounds like Apple will pay the conferenct $70 million and all schools will get a share, which would include CU. But what's confusing about that tweet is by saying "on the hook" it makes it sound like the schools would owe something, not the other way around.

NAU to the PAC?

All 12 of us have a pro rata share of the debt from stealing from Comcast. The main carrot to stay is that the Apple deal pays off that debt for those who remain in the conference.

The other new enticement he reported is that Apple is now willing to buy PACN for an amount which would be able to pay the G5 buyouts while getting that financial albatross off the books.
Selling the Pac 12 Network to cover our Comcast screw-up is about as fitting of an end to this era of Pac 12 football as you could ask for.

It sucks we're still on the hook for our Comcast share though.

$30M for UA is still less than what the B12 would pay. I'm looking at Google Maps and Lubbock is closer to Tucson than Salt Lake City or the Bay Area. Manhattan KS is still three hours less than going to Eugene. Houston is also closer to Tucson than Eugene. Tucson to Ft. Worth is just one hour less than Boulder to Ft. Worth.

UA can use the same talking points that Rick George used to explain why it is good for CU's student athletes. ASU is a little closer to the west coast than Texas but that's splitting hairs there and Utah has BYU as a travel partner.

But what MWC school is going to pay $34M to only earn less than the $17M cost that SDSU was going to pay to exit the MWC.

If both AZ schools go, the P12 is history because there is no guarantee the NCAA will grant a waiver that would allow the P12 to sponsor football with just seven members before backfilling with MWC schools in 2025.

And that is not considering what UO & UW wants to do.

A quick update with something he left out of the original string:

That and the unequal revenue share when it's an open secret UW/UO will do just about anything to bolt for the B1G at the first opportunity... I don't know how UA will react but I would have been pissed if CU accepted that deal with a full share Big 12 offer on the table (and basketball isn't even much of a driver for fan & booster engagement for us while it's the lifeblood of UA).

Back