What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU officially hires Mel Tucker as new Head Football Coach

The number of posts that we get in CSU and Nebraska threads leaves no doubt in my mind that these are our rivals. I wished that CU fans cared more about Utah and others in the PAC-12, but we don’t.

Hmm I suppose so. I guess I’m not like everyone else. Nebraska can go **** themselves because they’re Nebraska. CSU though, I don’t give 2 ****s about and the only reason i wish them nothing but the worst is because their fans are ****ing annoying. I hate that we play them and i have been praying for the day we stop. I guess I’m the anomaly, i don’t think about them 364 days of the year.

Hmm I suppose so. I guess I’m not like everyone else. Nebraska can go **** themselves because they’re Nebraska. CSU though, I don’t give 2 ****s about and the only reason i wish them nothing but the worst is because their fans are ****ing annoying. I hate that we play them and i have been praying for the day we stop. I guess I’m the anomaly, i don’t think about them 364 days of the year.
Preach

Bingo

Have several members of my family that went to CSEwe. We have about a 50/50 split. I relish family get togethers to remind them of their poor decision.

Have several members of my family that went to CSEwe. We have about a 50/50 split. I relish family get togethers to remind them of their poor decision.

My mom went to CSU because her parents wouldn't let her go to Boulder because of the protests that got out of had in the late 60s / early 70s. She discusses it like this "I went to CSU, but I was admitted to CU. I was definitely admitted to CU."

Have you ever run across some one who went to CU and then stressed that they were admitted to CSU too?

My mom went to CSU because her parents wouldn't let her go to Boulder because of the protests that got out of had in the late 60s / early 70s. She discusses it like this "I went to CSU, but I was admitted to CU. I was definitely admitted to CU."

Have you ever run across some one who went to CU and then stressed that they were admitted to CSU too?
No, the rightly assumed arrogance from our CU side wouldn’t even acknowledge a CSU application had we stooped to send one (which didn’t ever happen).

With ya, man. CSU Series needs to stop. Once every 10 years is fine. That way I only have to watch that game 4 or so more times.

I could not care less if CU loses to Air Force if they beat nebraska. I will be mildly annoyed if CU loses to CSU but they beat nebraska. In fact, I might be more inclined laugh at the situation if nebraska's the only OOC win CU notches next year.

I think you guys are doing a good job of proving Nik's point.

My comment above was academically focused not sports focused.

My comment above was academically focused not sports focused.
Sure. It's about level of interest, though. If I start a thread about Arizona or Utah, how many replies is it going to get? How much academic and other smack is going to be run? How many anecdotal stories like yours will be added? That's my entire point. CU has 2 rivals - i.e., programs that our fanbase cares about enough to where many will go off to drive the discussion and just about everyone will have at least a small comment or casual opinion they may choose to share. It's not even close to like that with any other program.

Sure. It's about level of interest, though. If I start a thread about Arizona or Utah, how many replies is it going to get? How much academic and other smack is going to be run? How many anecdotal stories like yours will be added? That's my entire point. CU has 2 rivals - i.e., programs that our fanbase cares about enough to where many will go off to drive the discussion and just about everyone will have at least a small comment or casual opinion they may choose to share. It's not even close to like that with any other program.

I’ll give you that and can’t disagree. But, for myself personally it’s a forced “rivalry.” I don’t care about CSU I’m forced to give a **** only because the school chooses to put them on our schedule. If we never played them again it wouldn’t bother me and I’d never think of them again. Oregon? I ****ing hate them. Nebraska? Never forgot how much they can burn in hell. USC? Can’t stand em and am sick of losing to them. Texas? Oh man, they can eat my ass, i hope they lose every ****ing week. I hate any of those schools more than CSU. If CSU went 12-0 it wouldn’t even phase me in any meaningful way if we didn’t play them.

I'm not surprised that many CU alums feel CSU is "too far beneath" our level to be considered real rivals.

However, I am surprised that there isn't a counter-force to that, fueled by alumni from each school having friends and relatives that attended the other. From other teams I follow, those "school rivalry trash talking" sessions between siblings and high school friends does a lot to keep rivalries fueled in the hearts of fans (e.g. VT/UVA, Wis/Minn).

I think the absurd "we are equals" attitude from their fan base is really what drives the conversation around this game. To me, CU/CSU is more about **** talking and state bragging rights with friends/family that went to the different schools more than actually being an on-field rivalry.

I also like how many Buff fans claim it's not a rivalry, say they never think about CSU, call them little brother, and then sit in the game prediction threads and predict close games and talk about how the game is an even matchup. If you don't want it to be a rivalry, grow up and stop talking like they can be competitive with CU.

I'm not surprised that many CU alums feel CSU is "too far beneath" our level to be considered real rivals.

However, I am surprised that there isn't a counter-force to that, fueled by alumni from each school having friends and relatives that attended the other. From other teams I follow, those "school rivalry trash talking" sessions between siblings and high school friends does a lot to keep rivalries fueled in the hearts of fans (e.g. VT/UVA, Wis/Minn).
This is exactly why I don't mind the CSU game. The friends/family aspect of it is fun. To your point, though, if CSU was a P5 program in the same conference as CU, ala UW/Minn and VT/UVA, nobody would be complaining about it being a rivalry.

My point about HOW Tucker handles it is in total relation to how MM handled it.

First, CSU is a Rival that I want to go away forever. There is no big time value to playing them in any way, so IF there is a chance to open a serious can of 60 point whoop ass on them, I hope HCMT does just that. MT is not Bobo's friend, so beat their asses and move on.

Second, Nebraska WAS our rival because they HAD what we wanted, which was to win and own the Big 8 and Big 12!!! You must go and take what you want, so you gotta go full Ricky Bobby and walk up to the big dog and tell them "I am coming for you", and then you gotta go get them.

Finally, AFA is not our direct rival, because we have not played in a long time, but they occupy OUR state, and thus there cannot be any doubt who is the boss in Colorado. No animosity, tons of respect, but must win the game and would like to see a significant score like 42-14 or something.

As for who our Rivalries should be, they are in order for me USC, UTAH, UCLA, ASU, ARIZ, WASH, OU, STAN, WSU, CAL, OSU because we gotta go through all of these teams to TAKE what we want and that is the PAC 12 Championship. I put them in that order because USC is now our Nebraska and is obviously a hurdle we must get over that we have never gotten over. Utah came into this league with us, as a lower division team that we should have never sunk below considering our history.

That was my point and everyone helped make it in different ways and with different passion and animosity.

CSU is considered CU's rival because of five men.

1) Sonny Lubick
2) Bradlee Van Pelt
3) Gary Barnett
4) Mike Bohn
5) Mike MacIntyre

Lubick and Van Pelt beat the snot out of Barnett's CU teams which opened the door that had long been closed. Bohn and MacIntyre institutionalized it when Bohn extended the series in Denver and MacIntyre publicly referred to CSU as CU's rival for the past six years.

Tucker has publicly set his sights on USC. His stated measurement of a recruit is "can he help us beat USC".

1) Sonny Lubick
2) Bradlee Van Pelt
3) Gary Barnett
4) Mike Bohn
5) Mike MacIntyre

Lubick and Van Pelt beat the snot out of Barnett's CU teams which opened the door that had long been closed. Bohn and MacIntyre institutionalized it when Bohn extended the series in Denver and MacIntyre publicly referred to CSU as CU's rival for the past six years.

Tucker has publicly set his sights on USC. His stated measurement of a recruit is "can he help us beat USC".

Scheduling in general has not helped either. CSU has been the marquee game in non-conference too often by default.

Scheduling in general has not helped either. CSU has been the marquee game in non-conference too often by default.
this is a great point. since I've been following CU athletics, CSU has definitely been the marquee non-conf game played in the state of Colorado every single year. I'm not even sure what #2 has been over that time (Hawaii in 2014?). Looking forward to this improving starting next year.

and for every passionate CU fan posting on Allbuffs about how much they hate the series, there's about 1000 casual fans buying tickets to the RMS who don't attend any other games. Over the last six years, that match-up has drawn nearly double the fans vs the average Folsom home game (and I don't think it's 25k CSU fans).

The number of posts that we get in CSU and Nebraska threads leaves no doubt in my mind that these are our rivals. I wished that CU fans cared more about Utah and others in the PAC-12, but we don’t.

The decade of suck hasn't helped. I hate to say it but we haven't had all that many meaningful games against PAC-12 schools.

1) Sonny Lubick
2) Bradlee Van Pelt
3) Gary Barnett
4) Mike Bohn
5) Mike MacIntyre

Bradlee was 1-2 vs CU

1) Sonny Lubick
2) Bradlee Van Pelt
3) Gary Barnett
4) Mike Bohn
5) Mike MacIntyre

"Beat the snot out of barnett's teams"
Huh?

In 02, csu won 19-14, only because of 2 chris brown fumbles deep in ram territory.

In 03 Cu was up by a couple scores, rams rallied and then bloom and purify finished them off to win 42-35.

The mods should ban the next poster who starts a goat U thread.

They are like the last booger you can't quite get out of your nose.

It annoys you, but really doesn't matter.

Screw them and the ewe they rode in on. Beat them down and send them back to that empty nostril of a stadium to "compete" for the Mtn. Weenie Div. crown.

"Beat the snot out of barnett's teams"
Huh?

In 02, csu won 19-14, only because of 2 chris brown fumbles deep in ram territory.

In 03 Cu was up by a couple scores, rams rallied and then bloom and purify finished them off to win 42-35.

To be fair, in 99 when barnett came in talking about a return to dominance, we got smoked 42-14. That game really pissed me off.

Back