What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU officially hires Mel Tucker as new Head Football Coach

At CU. The notion CU needs to shy away from elite So Cal talent to win in the Pac-12 is laughable.

But I will defer to the true recuiting believer, your transformation has been incredible. I look forward to the lectures.

Who is suggesting we don't need SoCal talent anyway? Of course we need to continue to focus on SoCal and Texas talent. We should definitely hire some coaches with that experience . But a bunch of people on here are suggesting Tucker is the wrong guy because he is from the East.

Sal and Hagan are the first 2 guys who spring to mind. Pulled from there, Houston, Louisiana, etc. I don't recall a lot of midwest recruiting, actually. Some individual targets like Westbrook because we could go anywhere and compete with anyone by 1990, but the program wasn't rebuilt on MI talent.

Deon Figures
Eric Bieniemy
Chad Brown
Christian Fauria

Who is suggesting we don't need SoCal talent anyway? Of course we need to continue to focus on SoCal and Texas talent. We should definitely hire some coaches with that experience . But a bunch of people on here are suggesting Tucker is the wrong guy because he is from the East.

He is not the wrong hire because he is from the East, but he needs to hire with recruiting ties in mind. Stupid to suggest otherwise.

Just came across this quote on buffstampede. This is what we’ve all been asking for. Best player plays.

“Tyson is playing corner right now and right now we are only playing him at one position," Mel Tucker said. "So, all the corners on our roster, he is competing with those guys. All of our guys know we are going to play the best players. We give guys lots of opportunities to show what they can do. We do a lot of two-spot drills; we take a lot of reps; we coach every player whether it is a walk-on or a senior. It doesn’t matter. We coach every one of them the same. We are trying to develop as many players as we can so we have the best football team that we can have. We will see what happens. He will get what he deserves.”

He sure did. As well as Texas, Louisiana, Florida Michigan, Ohio. If we only have SOCAL kids in those days, we aren’t as good.

For Colorado to win, we have to recruit well in CA, TX and CO. We have to be able to attract Pacific Islander talent (whether from HI & Samoa or living in the western US). We have to fill out our classes with some other players we decide to target from OK, AZ and other states in our region along with having some JUCO success.

Tucker does not have much familiarity with this recruiting footprint. Like any good executive, I expect him to hire talent that is strong where he is not.

For similar reasons, I expect him to hire a great offensive coordinator.

Are people worried that he's going to hire a bunch of defensive guys from the southeast and leave Chev in total control of the offense? Because I wouldn't assume stupidity and incompetence.

He sure did. As well as Texas, Louisiana, Florida Michigan, Ohio. If we only have SOCAL kids in those days, we aren’t as good.

Sure. He also did not concede any So Cal talent, even in the Big 8.

I'm starting to think we need to add AZ to that list of CA/TX/CO as essential. There's a lot of P5 players there every cycle, and for whatever reason, none of them want to go to the in state schools. You have to scroll down to the 20s before ASU/UA even start popping up. Our local AZ legend, Gary mother****in Bernardi, didn't quite work out last go around, but perhaps with a slightly harder worker, it might be worthwhile.

oops forgot link

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-F...ankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=AZ

I'm starting to think we need to add AZ to that list of CA/TX/CO as essential. There's a lot of P5 players there every cycle, and for whatever reason, none of them want to go to the in state schools. You have to scroll down to the 20s before ASU/UA even start popping up. Our local AZ legend, Gary mother****in Bernardi, didn't quite work out last go around, but perhaps with a slightly harder worker, it might be worthwhile.
It wasn't just Bernardi. We really committed to Arizona recruiting. Also had former ASU star Jim Jeffcoat on staff along with Northern Arizona OC legend Brian Lindgren. It was an all-star cast, really.

It wasn't just Bernardi. We really committed to Arizona recruiting. Also had former ASU star Jim Jeffcoat on staff along with Northern Arizona OC legend Brian Lindgren. It was an all-star cast, really.

How could Jeffcoat be expected to be both an Arizona recruiting legend along with an El Paso legend? Can't be in two places at once, man.

I don't think some of the younger people on here realize just how well we recruited under McCartney and Neuheisel. We weren't taking anyone's leftovers. It's hard to find lists from back then but I came across this page where a guy compiled Allen Wallace and Tom Lemming top 10 recruiting rankings from 1992 through 2001. (They were two of the biggest recruiting gurus in the days before Rivals/Scout/247.)

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/sea...e-recruiting-rankings-from-1992-20-t4620.html

Here are our top 10 classes:

1992 - #3 (Salaam was in the class.)
1995 - #9
1996 - #9
1997 - #5

I'm pretty sure we were ranked 11 to 25 in all the other years. With our facilities there is no reason we can't get back to having top 25 classes every year with some top 10s sprinkled in. All it takes is the right staff and a couple of winning seasons. RG was here as the recruiting coordinator when we were pulling monster classes. He gets it. He's hired a head coach who gets it. I am as hopeful as I've been in a very long time that we are truly on the right track.

Last edited:
I don't think some of the younger people on here realize just how well we recruited under McCartney and Neuheisel. We weren't taking anyone's leftovers. It's hard to find lists from back then but I came across this page where a guy compiled Allen Wallace and Tom Lemming top 10 recruiting rankings from 1992 through 2001. (They were two of the biggest recruiting gurus in the days before Rivals/Scout/247.)

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/sea...e-recruiting-rankings-from-1992-20-t4620.html

1995 - #9
1996 - #9
1997 - #5

I'm pretty sure we were ranked 11 to 25 in all the other years. With our facilities there is no reason we can't get back to having top 25 classes every year with some top 10s sprinkled in. All it takes is the right staff and a couple of winning seasons. RG was here as the recruiting coordinator when we were pulling monster classes. He gets it. He's hired a head coach who gets it. I am as hopeful as I've been in a very long time that we are truly on the right track.

Interesting. Thanks for posting that! I know everyone here is 35 but I’m actually not even 35 so I didn’t realize any of this. I knew we were good and I was hooked to the TV watching but recruiting? No idea as a kid.

Interesting. Thanks for posting that! I know everyone here is 35 but I’m actually not even 35 so I didn’t realize any of this. I knew we were good and I was hooked to the TV watching but recruiting? No idea as a kid.

Which is why we need the right coach to go from good to great on the field - success breeds success, and is rewarded with prime TV slots.... and also why we need to move on from Larry Scott and fix P12 Network. Kids don’t see us play like they do on SEC and Big10 networks, not to mention the nationals.

So im super excited about mel tucker. Really didnt see this one coming.. but love this hire. Do you guys think he will make an immediate impact in our recruiting class? (Meaning do you think he can snag anybody before early signing day)

1995 - #9
1996 - #9
1997 - #5

Too bad there isn’t a “Mega Like” option. Hell yes you can get big time recruits to come here! And if anyone disagrees, let’s get together at Casa Bonita so I can “convince” ya!

247 Georgia board saying as early as this morning

VictoriousSnarlingGenet-small.gif

Back