What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU officially hires Mel Tucker as new Head Football Coach

I'm trying to decide if I'm impressed or offended by this response.

I'm going to offend you with this photo below:

Dan_Hawkins-Colorado.jpg

I don't think anyone posted the one on one interviews yet so here is what I could find. Short with no particularly interesting questions as you would expect from the Denver media but I can't get enough of HCMT right now. :D

9 News
https://www.9news.com/article/sport...g-tough-mentality-to-cu-football/73-621712234

Channel 4
https://denver.cbslocal.com/video/category/sports/3989994-mel-tucker-talks-football-cu-buffs/

Nothing I could find from 7 or 31 yet.

Thank you Tatanka!

We've talked a lot about all the awesome MT qualities. No doubt this was a game changer hire. Questions I have:

1. The only time this guy hasn't recruited from a thoroughbred team was 1999 at Miami (OH). Will he be able to recruit to the standards he sold us on? What kind of dip if any will there be between what he says he will recruit and what he actually recruits?
2. Is it a bad sign that none of his recruits are following him here as of now? Want to hear from you all, but my feeling is no
3. The critical feedback that I've read says that Tucker doesn't bring blitzes other than at obvious times and that he will try to get pressure with the front 4 only rather than bringing any sort of corner/safety blitzes, Will this be an issue? It may be a problem until he gets some DL in there that can get pressure on the QB.
4. What is the talent gap between UGA and CU, How much will that affect Tucker this year being that he's had the luxury of talented men at every stop he's been?
5. A Huge question is who will Tucker bring in on the Offensive side? You would think that he has an amazing networking pool to work from but now you have to wonder what the talent pool of OC's think of CU? We have a potentially great QB, A future All-American at WR, Questionable O-line, TE, and RB. There will be massive pressure for who ever comes aboard not only from the fans but from Tucker himself being that he promises wins right away. It seems like maybe he will have a minimal roll on the Offense - I sure hope he brings in a great mind an tons of experience.
6. We saw questionable coaching from MM at crucial moments. The difference between good and elite teams sometimes comes down to those crucial head coaching strategic decisions. Mel Tucker has not been in this position much (5 games). How will Tucker manage the game? Passive/conservative or Agressive/play to win? Will his teams be situationally prepared? I know he stated that they will, but what does his past indicate?

I am not as worried about the debacle in Chicago as a negative in an otherwise stellar career:

"Rappaport said Tucker simply got stuck in a bad situation in Chicago and got stuck in the middle when the Bears cleaned house. 'The talent he was coaching was awful, it was a bad atmosphere and the product was bad,' Rappaport said. “He fell off the map in the NFL, as did everyone else in that regime."

We've talked a lot about all the awesome MT qualities. No doubt this was a game changer hire. Questions I have:

1. The only time this guy hasn't recruited from a thoroughbred team was 1999 at Miami (OH). Will he be able to recruit to the standards he sold us on? What kind of dip if any will there be between what he says he will recruit and what he actually recruits?
2. Is it a bad sign that none of his recruits are following him here as of now? Want to hear from you all, but my feeling is no
3. The critical feedback that I've read says that Tucker doesn't bring blitzes other than at obvious times and that he will try to get pressure with the front 4 only rather than bringing any sort of corner/safety blitzes, Will this be an issue? It may be a problem until he gets some DL in there that can get pressure on the QB.
4. What is the talent gap between UGA and CU, How much will that affect Tucker this year being that he's had the luxury of talented men at every stop he's been?
5. A Huge question is who will Tucker bring in on the Offensive side? You would think that he has an amazing networking pool to work from but now you have to wonder what the talent pool of OC's think of CU? We have a potentially great QB, A future All-American at WR, Questionable O-line, TE, and RB. There will be massive pressure for who ever comes aboard not only from the fans but from Tucker himself being that he promises wins right away. It seems like maybe he will have a minimal roll on the Offense - I sure hope he brings in a great mind an tons of experience.
6. We saw questionable coaching from MM at crucial moments. The difference between good and elite teams sometimes comes down to those crucial head coaching strategic decisions. Mel Tucker has not been in this position much (5 games). How will Tucker manage the game? Passive/conservative or Agressive/play to win? Will his teams be situationally prepared? I know he stated that they will, but what does his past indicate?

I am not as worried about the debacle in Chicago as a negative in an otherwise stellar career:

"Rappaport said Tucker simply got stuck in a bad situation in Chicago and got stuck in the middle when the Bears cleaned house. 'The talent he was coaching was awful, it was a bad atmosphere and the product was bad,' Rappaport said. “He fell off the map in the NFL, as did everyone else in that regime."
This recruiting class will suffer somewhat - going to be spotty. Getting to a bowl next season is vital for recruiting.
I’m not expecting any UGA flips this recruiting cycle.
CU doesn’t have anything close to UGA athletes, save for Shenault and Landman. The DL next season is one of many question marks for this squad so relying on the front three or four to get pressure is very unlikely.
His hiring on the offensive side of the ball will be critical - make or break IMO.
I think Tucker is going to build the team from the inside out. Not the outside in approach which was FHCMM default approach. That will take some time.

1) No way to know for certain, until he does or doesn't do it. He has a reputation as an elite recruiter. He closes on guys that have ALL the options. At UGA, they weren't the biggest fish. He had to battle to get the best players.
2) No. Besides it has only been, what 2 days? Give it some time, we might see a defensive player or two come, but if they don't I wouldn't be concerned.
3) See #1. No way to know until he does or doesn't do it. Did he not bring blitzes at UGA because he doesn't like to, or because he didn't have to?
4) The talent gap is large. Very large. Good news is the Pac-12 is not nearly as good as the SEC. He also will have experience at almost every position on the roster. That will help him this year.
5) There have been no indicators on who his staff will be. We will find out shortly. I also hope that he finds an elite offensive staff to help out.
6) No idea. He promised yesterday that you can expect his teams to be situationally and fundamentally sound. As he hasn't really been a HC his past doesn't indicate much.

“Tucker hasn’t been the Head Coach of a National Championship team, how can we be sure he can do it here?”

“Tucker has only recruited elite players to elite programs, how can we be sure he can do it here?”

“Tucker’s playcalling has only been really good with top recruits at top programs, how can we be sure he can do it here?”

See how dumb these kind of concerns sound when you actually read them out loud?

“Tucker hasn’t been the Head Coach of a National Championship team, how can we be sure he can do it here?”

“Tucker has only recruited elite players to elite programs, how can we be sure he can do it here?”

“Tucker’s playcalling has only been really good with top recruits at top programs, how can we be sure he can do it here?”

Not sure some of the fanbase understands why you would hire a coordinator from a top program.

Not sure some of the fanbase understands why you would hire a coordinator from a top program.
It's the same mentality that makes it so that Steve Kerr has no chance at being NBA coach of the year. Gonna be someone who wins 55 games coaching a team expected to go around .500. People don't always appreciate that getting the most from great players is a next level challenge. Greatness only respects and accepts coaching from greatness.

My last post on this site was a parody about how that we now have an SEC coach, the school needs to go down the road of SEC recruiting practices of using hookers, cash and pot. It was a joke about SEC recruiting. Many took me serious. I apologize for not including a closing sarcasm tag.

No sarcasm here: After Hawkins, Embree and MM, I am now in the wait and see mode. I fully expect to see articles prior to next year's first game with the themes of how far down the team is (hopefully no "burned to the ground" quotes), how the new strength and conditioning coach has got the players in much better shape, and how the summer work outs are so much better. We will hear how Boulder is a special place, yet even towns like Lincoln will get better recruiting classes. Does anyone remember the phrase "Return To Dominance (RTD)" from Gary Barnett? We are already hearing similar cliches. How I long for an offensive line like we had in 2001 under GB.

I really, really hope that Mr. Tucker can get the job done. I believe a change had to be made, but I'm at the point of not getting excited about a new coach. Let's see where we are in 4 to 5 years. All I can do as a fan is go to the games and support the team. The rest is out of my hands.

Lol I’m glad you made the reply for me. “Here’s a million hypotheticals nobody can answer, how can we be sure he can do those things.”

We can’t be sure, check back next August.

My last post on this site was a parody about how that we now have an SEC coach, the school needs to go down the road of SEC recruiting practices of using hookers, cash and pot. It was a joke about SEC recruiting. Many took me serious. I apologize for not including a closing sarcasm tag.

No sarcasm here: After Hawkins, Embree and MM, I am now in the wait and see mode. I fully expect to see articles prior to next year's first game with the themes of how far down the team is (hopefully no "burned to the ground" quotes), how the new strength and conditioning coach has got the players in much better shape, and how the summer work outs are so much better. We will hear how Boulder is a special place, yet even towns like Lincoln will get better recruiting classes. Does anyone remember the phrase "Return To Dominance (RTD)" from Gary Barnett? We are already hearing similar cliches. How I long for an offensive line like we had in 2001 under GB.

I really, really hope that Mr. Tucker can get the job done. I believe a change had to be made, but I'm at the point of not getting excited about a new coach. Let's see where we are in 4 to 5 years. All I can do as a fan is go to the games and support the team. The rest is out of my hands.

Yes. Buy tickets, cheer loud, give money and hope. That’s your job. There’s a reason kids go to the SEC and BIG 10. Who the **** DOESN'T want to play in a stadium of 70-100,000 people cheering you on?

Tucker just needs to flash his rings and our trophy for the kids and tell them if you’re willing to put in the work he will show you the path. If I’m 17 and a guy has 2 national championship rings I’m buying in that he knows what it takes to reach the pinnacle.

Back