What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU @ UA

It's always somewhat boggled my mind how deep Tad goes into his bench. What I love about Sean Miller, is how tight his 8-man rotation is (this year it's out of necessity).

I know Tad loves these guys, and they work hard, but what's the point in giving one of our guards single digit minutes when the sub outs usually kill momentum? It's time to give Bryce and Deleon big boy minutes to build for the future/pac-12 tourney.

I agree with this. Sit Akyazilli & Siewert (which is starting to happen). And take some of Fortune's minutes away. We shouldn't play more than 9 players regularly (which is what we played last year). The big games this year, like Xavier, we played 9 players total. Obviously we didn't have Collier or Miller, so it was the wrong 9 guys, but still. Whenever we play 10 or 11 guys 8-10 mins or more we don't play well. The rotation was better the last two games and we played (generally) better. But I don't see Fortune being anything other than Fortune, so let's reverse him and Brown/Peters in terms of minutes. Do it now and maybe we can make a run later in the year.

Last edited:
There's also something to be said about playing a freshman like Bryce in more of a featured role, as he's a guy who was the man in high school and will feed off that. No reason why he can't be as good as frosh Ski.

Unrelated, pretty glowing comments from Sean Miller about Derrick White here:

It's always somewhat boggled my mind how deep Tad goes into his bench. What I love about Sean Miller, is how tight his 8-man rotation is (this year it's out of necessity).

I know Tad loves these guys, and they work hard, but what's the point in giving one of our guards single digit minutes when the sub outs usually kill momentum? It's time to give Bryce and Deleon big boy minutes to build for the future/pac-12 tourney.

I agree with this in theory, but the problem is who is worthy of the minutes? We've had a lot of guys play themselves out of minutes, but who has been good enough to deserve quality minutes? Fortune's been a disaster, but it's not like any of the bench guys are clearly outplaying him. I'd personally play Brown in more of Fortune's minutes, but it's not like he's put up great numbers. I just, personally, feel like Brown's "higher ceiling, lower floor" would be a better match for King's inconsistencies than adding Fortune's inconsistencies on top of it.

I agree with this in theory, but the problem is who is worthy of the minutes? We've had a lot of guys play themselves out of minutes, but who has been good enough to deserve quality minutes? Fortune's been a disaster, but it's not like any of the bench guys are clearly outplaying him. I'd personally play Brown in more of Fortune's minutes, but it's not like he's put up great numbers. I just, personally, feel like Brown's "higher ceiling, lower floor" would be a better match for King's inconsistencies than adding Fortune's inconsistencies on top of it.
did you mean "higher floor, lower ceiling"?

Isn't Brown freshman too. You said freshman had no impact. Bryce was good on defense but needs to knock down open jumpers.
Brown didn't have any impact with his three minutes of playing time. And I agree that Bryce was good on Defense. I feel that Tad needs to make some sort of change, whether it's inserting Brown or Peters into the starting rotation. The eye test tells me that over the course of the year that Brown looks like the best option at shooting guard. Though at the end of the day, I think Peters has more upside, he just needs to get comfortable out there.

Brown didn't have any impact with his three minutes of playing time. And I agree that Bryce was good on Defense. I feel that Tad needs to make some sort of change, whether it's inserting Brown or Peters into the starting rotation. The eye test tells me that over the course of the year that Brown looks like the best option at shooting guard. Though at the end of the day, I think Peters has more upside, he just needs to get comfortable out there.

Brown looks more comfortable on the floor with White.
He spaces the floor with his outside shot.
Dont think in 3 minutes, he played with White versus Arizona.

maybe some analytics to determine which groups of 5 work best together in different circumstances

Exactly the right approach you need to take here. He was D'd up, but White only got 7 shots against Zona – who were those extra attempts going to? Unless Fortune is hitting open looks and not pressing too much, he's negating any positive differential he has over Brown or Peters on the defensive end. King's rebounding plus marginally better shooting has earned him that SG/SF combo role.

This is where I would suck in being a coach. Too much emotional ties to players to have the mercenary attitude of the top-tier coaches when it comes to playing time.

Unrelated: there was a 5-10 minute stretch in the second half where Dom looked like the guard we all want him to be. More of that please!

Unrelated: there was a 5-10 minute stretch in the second half where Dom looked like the guard we all want him to be. More of that please!

Watching the game, I swore Dom was playing really well throughout. Then I looked at the box score this morning and apparently I was seeing things. I went from hopeful to hurt.

Watching the game, I swore Dom was playing really well throughout. Then I looked at the box score this morning and apparently I was seeing things. I went from hopeful to hurt.
You basically just described Dom's career.

(sorry)

Reactions: wip

Stats aren't everything.

Back