What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU vs. Cal - Oct 15th Pregame Thread

They did not see in HD. Replay gets the feed shown by the TV network. Did you see the garbage product produced by the P12 network on Saturday? It was hardly HD, frame by frame, etc.

I thought the conference had its own set of cameras that are used for replays. Don't remember where I heard or saw that, tho.

I really like seeing our CU Pres out there. Good sign.

BUT…… I really hope this doesn’t mean the coaching search is now focused on the interim coach as our new permanent HC? Do you all think this win makes them focus in on Sanford?
That will never happen. Any improvement this team makes under Sanford will be good for his résumé.

They only get the feed from the P12N.
They use the same cameras as the network does for any game. The difference is that the replay feed comes straight from the truck without processing and the replay booth can look at all the camera angles at any speed, so their resolution will be free of the compressive artifacts that happen during transmission. It isn't what you see at home, but it isn't like they have some secret hidden views either.

Finally got home and I'm able to watch the game. I'm sure most of you were at the game so have not seen the broadcast but the camera work is laughably bad. Where does the pac-12 network get these fools?
I believe, and someone correct me if I’m wrong, that the Pac 12 has a minimal number of cameras compared to the big boy networks. That would mean that one camera guy has to cover more. So I don’t blame the camera operators. I blame the low budget network.

Edit: Posted before seeing @AeroBuff99 ’s post.

What is he talking about? Possession is control. He had control from the time he touched it, and his foot was on the ground for several frames after that. If the booth didn’t see it clearly in HD frame-by-frame, shuttling back and forth over and over (not in a Twitter clip), they would not have overturned the call on the field.
He's getting bombed about it in the comments. Pretty funny

pretty much everybody in the stadium thought he was out until they showed it on the Jumbotron two or three times.

Well, great game. Even greater to see the Buffs stave off the ultimate in futility, the no win season.

I was on a long weekend trip. I think that is why they won. So, everyone should pony up to send me and the Mrs. on a long weekend the rest of the way, just to be sure.

A few thoughts:

Trevor Woods is a best.
Aubrey Smith will be a beast.
Chris Wilson may be even more incompetent as DC than KD as HC.
Glad to see Deion Smith is doing OK.
Hankerson is the real deal.
Tyson is the real deal.
MLC is the real deal.
I was unaware a HC was still allowed to show emotion.

Justin Wilcox had the best bitter beer face after game I have ever seen.

Lastly, P12 streaming is THE WORST I have ever seen.

Go Buffs, Beat OSU, no the other one.

I was unaware a HC was still allowed to show emotion.
This is so interesting. I equate it to kids being at dinner when one parent is in a foul mood, sitting quietly, staring down, grim, it sucks the life out of everyone else. Turns dinner into a joyless feeding.

While the opposite is completely true, when you have a parent in a good mood, joking, talking, engaging… The day is just brighter and better.

Clearly, KD’s demeanor WAS absolutely an issue or the whole point of the new coaching staff wouldn’t have needed to be energy and joy.

And what a massive difference?!?! From being blow out in every game, looking slow and overmatched in every game, to being a real force on defense with the ability to move the ball on offense (while still not in sync).

KD was A PROBLEM that has been fixed. Clearly. Not the only one… but a good start.

They use the same cameras as the network does for any game. The difference is that the replay feed comes straight from the truck without processing and the replay booth can look at all the camera angles at any speed, so their resolution will be free of the compressive artifacts that happen during transmission. It isn't what you see at home, but it isn't like they have some secret hidden views either.
I’d be willing to bet that the camera display in the replay isn’t HD.

This is so interesting. I equate it to kids being at dinner when one parent is in a foul mood, sitting quietly, staring down, grim, it sucks the life out of everyone else. Turns dinner into a joyless feeding.

While the opposite is completely true, when you have a parent in a good mood, joking, talking, engaging… The day is just brighter and better.

Clearly, KD’s demeanor WAS absolutely an issue or the whole point of the new coaching staff wouldn’t have needed to be energy and joy.

And what a massive difference?!?! From being blow out in every game, looking slow and overmatched in every game, to being a real force on defense with the ability to move the ball on offense (while still not in sync).

KD was A PROBLEM that has been fixed. Clearly. Not the only one… but a good start.
Honestly, any personality works in a head coach. Plenty of stoic curmudgeons have been successful. Plenty of HCs who had very little personal interactions with players have been successful.

All things being equal, with young players I do think being a high enthusiasm, personally engaged coach is the better way to be.

Regardless, going to that from KD's personality had to be a big breath of fresh air and I want to see it continue with the next coach. It doesn't have to be as "rah rah" but things need to be high energy and the players need to feel it's about them. I don't think CU is in a position to have a culture that it's all business and players are treated as performing or non-performing assets.

I am prepared to get torched for this but I don’t get that MLC had a catch for a few frames worth of possession in the end zone where the Cal receiver had the ball in the end zone longer before Woods knocked it free. I get the “have to possess the ball through the catch” thing but player gets one inch of the ball over the end line then drops it, TD. Player catches the ball above his head in the end zone and then drops it moving it a foot towards his chest, not TD.

Not to take away from a gutsy play by Woods

I am prepared to get torched for this but I don’t get that MLC had a catch for a few frames worth of possession in the end zone where the Cal receiver had the ball in the end zone longer before Woods knocked it free. I get the “have to possess the ball through the catch” thing but player gets one inch of the ball over the end line then drops it, TD. Player catches the ball above his head in the end zone and then drops it moving it a foot towards his chest, not TD.

I was thinking that, too.

But I remember what a mess it was in the old days when they tried to determine if there was a millisecond of possession.

I like the modern approach of determining if possession was established in bounds and then if the catch was controlled through completion. It's pretty clear and really the only controversy comes from when we can't see everything from the camera angles and get a "play stands as called" ruling.

You answered your own question

Storm the field! Celebrate the victory! Suck the sweet marrow of a hard earned win.
Piss on the no rush sad sacks.

I still get chills when I see videos of the fans rushing the field in 1989.
I do too because I was one of those fans. But, please, please, please don't tell me you're comparing the two.

If this is going to become an official thing, we’re going to have to outdo this…

Somebody in the AD must have gone to a DU Hockey game recently, because this is a blatant ripoff of something they've been doing for awhile.

Then MLC should not have been a catch since he continued to move the ball to his body after he was clearly out of the end zone. Either that movement matters or it doesn’t. I understand the arguments but they don’t seem consistent to me
He caught the ball with one foot on the ground and maintained position of the ball through the catch. They reviewed and overturned. I can tell you without a doubt, replay review won't overturn that unless they saw those actions.

The other play is simply the player not maintaining the ball through the catch.

Honestly, any personality works in a head coach.
Any personality CAN work in a head coach. But, there has to be something there that inspires young men to follow, to believe, to understand, and to feel confident in what's happening.

Sure, a quiet coach CAN be successful, but that coach is going to have to be off-the-charts great in SOMETHING else, like creative X's and O's, ease-of-use explanations, putting complex ideas into simple-to-understand concepts and images.

Clearly, KD was not doing well with any of the complementary traits that could have overcome his natural stoicism, and I defended it for a long time--for exactly the reason you suggest.

BUT I disagree that a coach can just stand on the sidelines offering nothing during the entire course of a game. It seems that KD was putting ALL of the responsibility for the game on the assistant coaches: "coaching up" players during the game, managing and directing the team during the game, certainly inspiring and encouraging players during the game... and he certainly was not involved in the play calling on either side, he never had a chart of plays he was looking at. I kept asking, what the hell was he actually doing during the games. Was it all internal? How does that help the team on the field during the game?

I can't think of another coach doing SO LITTLE during a game. Saying absolutely nothing is not coaching, nor is it leading.

Somebody in the AD must have gone to a DU Hockey game recently, because this is a blatant ripoff of something they've been doing for awhile.
Sort of. They play Country Roads and replace “West Virginia” with “Colorado” at DU games, and then maybe play Rocky Mountain High after the game is over.

Sort of. They play Country Roads and replace “West Virginia” with “Colorado” at DU games, and then maybe play Rocky Mountain High after the game is over.
CU's a day late and a dollar short on the concept.

Back