What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU vs. Cal - Oct 15th Pregame Thread

You’re making an assumption about equipment quality and production value on the day. Compression not withstanding, the view of the replay is not HD.
The pac-12 utilizes a central video replay facility and the equipment is DVSport (https://www.dvsport.com/replay.html) same supplier for all the P5 conferences. All the equipment is HD (1920x1080) and all digital. This isn't like the old days where they had some ****ty monitor court side at CEC that used the closed circuit NTSC camera. The TV feeds for every Pac-12 game are piped directly to the central replay facility which has their own recording and playback capability of every camera angle at the game. There is no downgrade to the video quality. What you see on TV is the result of the compression of the signal to the carriers and the compression of the signal to your set top box.

Even if they used the same feed you see at home, the Pac-12 broadcast is 1080p, which is HD.

The pac-12 utilizes a central video replay facility and the equipment is DVSport (https://www.dvsport.com/replay.html) same supplier for all the P5 conferences. All the equipment is HD (1920x1080) and all digital. This isn't like the old days where they had some ****ty monitor court side at CEC that used the closed circuit NTSC camera. The TV feeds for every Pac-12 game are piped directly to the central replay facility which has their own recording and playback capability of every camera angle at the game. There is no downgrade to the video quality. What you see on TV is the result of the compression of the signal to the carriers and the compression of the signal to your set top box.

Even if they used the same feed you see at home, the Pac-12 broadcast is 1080p, which is HD.
Thanks. Interesting reading.

If I am understanding you correctly, your contention is that the consistently terrible transmission quality of the P12 network (even when in HD) is due to relay compression. Since they’re using the same equipment, why don’t other leagues and networks have this issue?

Thanks. Interesting reading.

If I am understanding you correctly, your contention is that the consistently terrible transmission quality of the P12 network (even when in HD) is due to relay compression. Since they’re using the same equipment, why don’t other leagues and networks have this issue?
How are you watching the P12 Network? Cable company? OTT streaming?

Cable on a super HDTV. Literally every other station that shows college football is crystal clear.
It’s entirely possible that part of the deal that they (P12) have with the cable providers or something coming out of their broadcast center where they are cutting corners. Regardless, aero is right that what the refs are seeing is likely better quality than what you are seeing.

It’s entirely possible that part of the deal that they (P12) have with the cable providers or something coming out of their broadcast center where they are cutting corners. Regardless, aero is right that what the refs are seeing is likely better quality than what you are seeing.
After reading @AeroBuff99 posts, I don’t doubt that the refs get to see a decent view from the little viewcam. My doubts come in about the technology and image distribution when going to/from a central processing center and the horrific feeds produced by the P12N’s amateur camera operators.

After reading @AeroBuff99 posts, I don’t doubt that the refs get to see a decent view from the little viewcam. My doubts come in about the technology and image distribution when going to/from a central processing center and the horrific feeds produced by the P12N’s amateur camera operators.
You’re taking about two different things. It doesn’t matter how good the camera and distribution network are if the camera operator is pointing it at the wrong thing.

Overall, I agree that the P12 network isn’t very good. I assume they cheap out in transcoding or distribution because they are pulling the revenue the other networks are.

You’re taking about two different things. It doesn’t matter how good the camera and distribution network are if the camera operator is pointing it at the wrong thing.

Overall, I agree that the P12 network isn’t very good. I assume they cheap out in transcoding or distribution because they are pulling the revenue the other networks are.
I don’t think I am. Are you saying that the replay angles are different than the camera angles that are shown on TV? I am saying that the P12N camera crew sucks regardless of image quality.

I don’t think I am. Are you saying that the replay angles are different than the camera angles that are shown on TV? I am saying that the P12N camera crew sucks regardless of image quality.
Then maybe I’m disagreeing with aero. Video quality is irrelevant if the camera is focused on the wrong thing. As I understand it, the refs don’t have any special cameras.

Great info. Much appreciated. It HAD to be HD…. Digital/HD is essential just a matter of “file size” these days, followed by available bandwidth to send the signal.

Great info. Much appreciated. It HAD to be HD…. Digital/HD is essential just a matter of “file size” these days, followed by available bandwidth to send the signal.
So, the P12N is the only one who doesn’t have the bandwidth to broadcast a good feed for its replays on TV?

Rules question: With :36 to go Cal threw a pass to the end zone. The receiver was out of the end zone and it looked like CU was going to intercept but the Cal receiver came back in and broke it up.

So you rules experts, I thought that a player who was off the playing field could not come back in and make a play? Is it like basketball where as long as he establishes position on the field he is eligible?

Watching the replay. Man, Nikko Reed and MLC had stellar games! And I’m amazed by the crowd! The support shown will be a huge selling point in the coaching search

Also, I really like Sanford. Not as our future HC, but I love his positivity and energy. He is just what this team needed.

Cool video. On a side note, would Dorrell have made any changes on defense had he not been fired? Would he have fired Wilson? Why did it take him so long to make changes the last 2 years at staff positions that were clearly major liabilities?

Two things...

Where TF has this film production crew been the last few months??? Got some incredible shots.
& what TF did those poor chairs do to deserve such treatment?! They have been there supporting those players through thick & thin without so much as a peep & this is how we treat them...

CU cannot have nice furniture.

So, the P12N is the only one who doesn’t have the bandwidth to broadcast a good feed for its replays on TV?
I am on TDS cable with both PAC12 National and PAC12 Mountain. On most of the programing including all of the football related stuff my HD feed is excellent, as good as on any of the other HD channels I watch regularly.

Regarding the cable/satellite quality, a lot of it has to do with the contract tiering by the carriers. So if you are outside the footprint or your provider just hates you, Pac12Net will be on the lower quality tier, i.e. shared or switched bandwidth, vs dedicated streams that the basic/standard tier channels get and the paid premium channels get.

The other part could be they cheap out on the broadcasts and just don't have the best transmission equipment.

As far as the replay views, the command center can look at any available camera angle used by the tv crew.

Regarding the cable/satellite quality, a lot of it has to do with the contract tiering by the carriers. So if you are outside the footprint or your provider just hates you, Pac12Net will be on the lower quality tier, i.e. shared or switched bandwidth, vs dedicated streams that the basic/standard tier channels get and the paid premium channels get.

The other part could be they cheap out on the broadcasts and just don't have the best transmission equipment.

As far as the replay views, the command center can look at any available camera angle used by the tv crew.
I’ve watched the P12N on great providers and TVs in and out of network. Their broadcast sucks everywhere.

Two things...

Where TF has this film production crew been the last few months??? Got some incredible shots.
& what TF did those poor chairs do to deserve such treatment?! They have been there supporting those players through thick & thin without so much as a peep & this is how we treat them...

CU cannot have nice furniture.
Cameramen were boycotting the Buffs as long as Dorrell was still there.

Rules question: With :36 to go Cal threw a pass to the end zone. The receiver was out of the end zone and it looked like CU was going to intercept but the Cal receiver came back in and broke it up.

So you rules experts, I thought that a player who was off the playing field could not come back in and make a play? Is it like basketball where as long as he establishes position on the field he is eligible?
Okay you guys:
An eligible offensive receiver may not voluntarily go out of bounds and return and be the first to touch a legal forward pass.

I deleted the game and don’t remember if he was the first to touch the ball. I don’t think he was.

Okay you guys:
An eligible offensive receiver may not voluntarily go out of bounds and return and be the first to touch a legal forward pass.

I deleted the game and don’t remember if he was the first to touch the ball. I don’t think he was.
Regardless, that was an interception opportunity served up on a platter, we didn't capitalize, and were fortunate. CU missed several winning play/ momentum play chances in that game. Usually that equals a loss.

Back