What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Dana Holgorsen - HC West Virginia

Fair enough, I hadn’t really looked. I think they are averaging giving up right around 26 ppg actually. Could CU find a DC to go with Holgerson who would improve that to say 20-23 ppg and bring those outliers down to 35-40, instead of 40-50?
20-23 ppg would probably be a top 3 defense in the Pac so that sounds good to me.

Holgorsen with Alex Grinch as DC would be epic. I'm not sure there are very many instances of these air raid teams having anything but awful defense. Grinch figured out a way.

After the track meet last night, I would be pretty deflated by this hire. I would like to more emphasis on defense .

This is like the trump comments about a cold thanksgiving meaning global warming is fake.

I don't get the correlation. WVUs output on defense this year has pretty terrible.

Look at this teams stats in the WVU vs Texas (win) and WVU vs Oki St. (loss) in addition to WVU vs OU (loss). Each too were close games, had over 40pts scored against and allowed +500 yrds. Those shootout games are at best tossups. WVU went 1-2 in those matchups - or 2-2 if you include the win vs Tech which WVU surrendered 17pts in the 4th quarter to win by 8pts.

I would be shocked if he chose us over TTU.

Not because of the awesomeness that is Lubbock, but he is a Big 12 guy and being back in TX would be make his job 10x easier.

That's a Wickline influence. His impact and synergy with Holgerson has been pretty magical. The both make the other better. He is really been a driving force in adding a tough physicality to Holgerson's evolution of the Air Raid. I love Mike Leach and I know Holgerson is as pure a descendant but I actually like Holgerson's evolved physical Air Raid better for CU!
I've never liked the spread, but I like his style of spread better. Whenever CU has been good, since I started watching anyway, we could always run the ball. I'd like to see that again. I know damn well it would help Montez quite a bit.

If Holgo is gonna leave, this is the time to do it.

OC leaving to take a HC job at Texas State.
Grier and Jennings finishing their careers.
Just finished a season that's about as good as he can ever expect to do with WVU in the Big 12.
I agree. I think that Spivital taking the Texas State job signals the fact that Holgo is on the move somewhere. That alone makes me wonder if he might be coming to Boulder and RG has been able to keep all of that under wraps.

If Holgo is gonna leave, this is the time to do it.

OC leaving to take a HC job at Texas State.
Grier and Jennings finishing their careers.
Just finished a season that's about as good as he can ever expect to do with WVU in the Big 12.

It looks to me like WVU is fielding a lineup that's 50% SRs including most of the positions where experience matters most (QB, WR, S). The narrative going into next year will be "reset year".

It looks to me like WVU is fielding a lineup that's 50% SRs including most of the positions where experience matters most (QB, WR, S). The narrative going into next year will be "reset year".
Yep. So he's got to be in a position where he either leaves or needs WVU to make the sort of commitment to him that wouldn't put his career at risk if they go 6-6 or 5-7 next year.

I still would love Holgo, but I don't see why we would wait an extra week to hire him if we didn't have to. I have to believe that if Holgo was the guy, he'd have been announced by now.

If Dana has had multiple recruiting cycles under his belt, why is the team senior heavy?

How many years does he have on his current deal? If it’s more than 1 and they want him to stay their coach, I’d take the full buyout and nothing less.
2 years I think? The buyout reduces by over 50 percent after December 31.

Saw somewhere that WV has a list of candidates ready in case Holgo bolts. That doesn't sound like a school that is willing to give him an extension if that's his ultimate motive.

How many years does he have on his current deal? If it’s more than 1 and they want him to stay their coach, I’d take the full buyout and nothing less.
The key data point is that his current buyout is $2.5 million and it goes down to $1 million on Jan 1.

That's the leverage RG would have:
"Listen, WV we're hiring him. You're going to get $1 million no matter what you do. You can get more than $1 million if you let us hire him today instead of Jan 2. But at $2.5 million, we're willing to wait until Jan 2, and do you really want to be scrambling to hire a coach in January?"

The key data point is that his current buyout is $2.5 million and it goes down to $1 million on Jan 1.

That's the leverage RG would have:
"Listen, WV we're hiring him. You're going to get $1 million no matter what you do. You can get more than $1 million if you let us hire him today instead of Jan 2. But at $2.5 million, we're willing to wait until Jan 2, and do you really want to be scrambling to hire a coach in January?"
Makes sense.

Back