What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Darrin Chiaverini - CU Interim Head Coach

Hoping Chev has a Dabo-esque trajectory feels like a pretty big Hail Mary to me. The Dabo path is pretty uncommon.

Yeah, but I'm still very open to the idea of giving this job to him. I think he's got a ton of potential as a coach-but I'll say this: I'm not vehemently opposed to anybody we've talked about over the last few days.

I hope that Chev understands this deep in his heart. We know he wants the job badly. I think a lot of us want him to get the job - eventually.

But even the most diehard Buffs fan has to acknowledge that his lack of experience causes a huge problem for us in that he has zero gravitas. Meaning that he has fewer connections to the quality assistants that would have come and help a guy his age come and run a program AND fewer quality assistants are going to want to put their reputation on the line to work under a guy who they know little about and doesn't have a track record of running a program.

The only way you get the kind of assistants that Chev would need is by overpaying them - something that CU apparently can't do.

I think Chev has some qualities that I find very intriguing for a HC. Dynamic personality, great recruiter, seems like he’s a good leader, and his passion for CU certainly doesn’t hurt (although, I actually think if he’s not careful it could be a detriment in some ways).

The major questions I have are about his ability to assemble a staff, particularly given the budget CU has, and what his general philosophy would be building and managing every single aspect of a P5 program. Had he learned under Tucker for 3-4 years and the program become relatively successful, I would be much more willing to hand him the keys, ala Lake in UW.

It just doesn’t seem like the right time and screams small time CU if he is made HC right now.

I don’t see this ending well for Chev. RG doesn’t seem like the kind of guy who responds well to public pressure. There are more experienced and better prepared candidates out there. Chev is getting his opportunity as interim and he’s not exactly covering himself in glory at the moment.

I don’t see this ending well for Chev. RG doesn’t seem like the kind of guy who responds well to public pressure. There are more experienced and better prepared candidates out there. Chev is getting his opportunity as interim and he’s not exactly covering himself in glory at the moment.
Meh. RG isn’t going to be swayed either way by Chev’s tweets. He’ll get the job if he’s the best candidate in RG’s estimation.

Regardless, RG and LC need to be very careful how they handle this with Chev. If they choose to go with someone else, they need to be totally upfront with Chev and protect the relationship. He may not stay here if he doesn’t get the head job, but 3, 5, 7 years down the line you never know. Don’t want any long-lasting hard feelings. I have full confidence in RG and LC to do right by Chev either way.

He wears a flat billed hat. That is a major negative for me. Either no hat or curve the bill, for ****s sake you are a man now, you are over 40. Leave the flat bill **** to the kids.

P.S. I wouldn't not hire him over this but it is a big pet peeve of mine.

Lol. Methinks, you’ve got a closet of pleated slacks. ;)

Meh. RG isn’t going to be swayed either way by Chev’s tweets. He’ll get the job if he’s the best candidate in RG’s estimation.
Yes. I understand that. Thing is, I don’t believe Chev is the best candidate in RGs estimation.

Again, is there another P5 program who would even consider hiring Chev for their HC position?

I’m sure there are ways to make the team functional. I cannot envision that team being one that would be on the road to a bowl. We’ve got to get ourselves out of thinking that a person is qualified for the head coaching job simply because they coach football at some level and love CU.

Chev’s a good dude. I admire his recruiting chops and passion for the University of Colorado. He’s not qualified to be the HC.
That sums up where I'm at. We recently got burnt by making the Embree hire for the same reasons we'd consider hiring Chev.

Of course it could work, but it's a lower probability move than a lot of other choices RG could make.

I think Chev has some qualities that I find very intriguing for a HC. Dynamic personality, great recruiter, seems like he’s a good leader, and his passion for CU certainly doesn’t hurt (although, I actually think if he’s not careful it could be a detriment in some ways).

The major questions I have are about his ability to assemble a staff, particularly given the budget CU has, and what his general philosophy would be building and managing every single aspect of a P5 program. Had he learned under Tucker for 3-4 years and the program become relatively successful, I would be much more willing to hand him the keys, ala Lake in UW.

It just doesn’t seem like the right time and screams small time CU if he is made HC right now.
Agree. But I also have seen Chev convince some recruits to come here that I thought he had no chance to get. There's a lot of good coaches throughout CFB, not just big names. Sure it would look small time for awhile, but so did the KSU staff until they started opening some eyes. I'd be concerned that Chev's coaching tree isn't too solid and he'd be interviewing guys he never met, which makes it harder.

Pretend for a second that Chev was not a Buff and you’re looking just at his resume - do you hire him over Graham Harrell?
Is Harrell even interested? We have zero idea on who wants the job. If Chev is the best of the interested lot?

Pretend for a second that Chev was not a Buff and you’re looking just at his resume - do you hire him over Graham Harrell?
On what we’ve seen with offensive coordination, playcalling and QB development, of course not. Is Harrell a great recruiter? Is he a leader?

Is Harrell even interested? We have zero idea on who wants the job. If Chev is the best of the interested lot?
That wasn’t the question, but I’m told doubling one’s salary is a good way to get them interested in a job.

I don't know what you can tell from W-L with coordinators. The Browns sucked when Saban was there. But he coached under Belichick. Chev has coached under the National Coach of the Year.

By the way, I'm really not advocating Chev. But unlike some others, I don't think it's ludicrous for him to be in the discussion given the circumstances.

By the way, I'm really not advocating Chev. But unlike some others, I don't think it's ludicrous for him to be in the discussion given the circumstances.
When Chev was the OC the defense was literally calling out our plays before the snap. I don’t think he’s ready.

Let me attempt to objectively break down Chevs candidacy after more thought into it.

In no particular order:

Here's what I like:
1) His passion for CU is obvious, and its a very important place to him. He played here, he met his wife at CU (IIRC), and his kids were both born in Boulder. When he talks about CU, its not the type of disingenuous bull**** Mel Tucker spent the last 14 months spewing.
2) Hes a great recruiter and salesman for the school, which an HC needs to be. He also comes off as a very outgoing, engaging dude.
3) These kids love him. They want to go to war for him. that's huge.

Here's what I wonder about-
1) does he have a plan to complete his staff if.he gets the job?
2) can he lead coaches? How does a Jay Johnson type handle him giving input on the game plan?

In short, here's where I am. He has earned the right to be considered. Do I want to hand the gig to him? No.

Personally, I think this is the right take. You’d have to see what his plan is for coaches, who he has in the Rolodex and how he communicates with them.

Maybe the other posters are right and he doesn’t have the experience or network to fill a staff, maybe his network and coaches he could hire is pleasantly surprising. We won’t know unless he gets the job, I guess.

But I think he deserves the opportunity to interview and make his case.

I don't think it is likely that he will ever be ready. There are worse things in life than making a million bucks a year to be an ace recruiter and the HC's righthand man at your alma mater.
I know he’d have to leave his alma mater with no guarantee of ever returning, but I think it would serve him well to seek out a G5 head job and learn the ropes of running/managing/building a program. That said, I think it’s a little harsh to say he’ll never be ready.

I think RG needs to sit Chev down and say, listen, I've seen you as an heir apparent for a while (assuming he has), but we were here just a year ago. Coming into this year you were happy to be a crucial member of this staff under a coach that we thought would be here a long time. You're still a crucial member of this staff, but if not being the HC for a while longer yet was okay with you a month ago, why isn't it now?

Last edited:
Chev = Cabral
Cabral was a pro in every sense of the word and someone players could look up to like a father figure. Chev doesn’t seem to have that same presence. I worry Chev is more like the 2011 version of Bieniemy.

Back