What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Darrin Chiaverini - CU Interim Head Coach

With his lack of experience I would like to know more about his ideas and directions for the O and the D.
Not just coach speak. He does seem to have that part down.

Last edited:
I don’t really worry about his offensive plans. I think if he’s of been th o coordinator this past year we’d have had similar results. He’s probably likely to be more pass happy then Jay Johnson but the offense looked very similar. As far as the defense goes he’s hopefully keep Tyson Summers around if possible and lean on him in that regard.

Looking at Colorado’s situation DC would make since. I have heard all the other names and who would be the guy who actually wants to be the buffs coach and not be looking to leave at the earliest signs of success. Do we really want any coach who has flamed out or has personal issues or hasn’t actually been a power five coach? I don’t see anyone who fits to be honest. Of course we’d all probably like it to be A hot name but I’ve come to realize be careful what you wish for. “Mel Tucker”

A reasonable argument can be made Kap leaving is the spike in DC's chance to drop the 'interim' title.

Unfortunately I believe chev won’t get the job either. I just hope he stays with the program. Great recruiter and great guy .

IF DC gets the job I'm not sure that says good things about how the coaching community feels about the position.

I agree that DC is a huge asset to CU and a true Buff. I would love to see a path to him becoming head coach eventually after proving himself and earning it. Him being named HC right now would be scary.

People trying to draw correlations between DC and Dabo need to stop. The fact of the matter is that just based on geography Clemson has a greater margin for error than we do. They could have ****ed up by taking a chance and they would have been ok. If we mess this up we probably spend another 10 years in the ****ter.

IF DC gets the job I'm not sure that says good things about how the coaching community feels about the position.

I agree that DC is a huge asset to CU and a true Buff. I would love to see a path to him becoming head coach eventually after proving himself and earning it. Him being named HC right now would be scary.

People trying to draw correlations between DC and Dabo need to stop. The fact of the matter is that just based on geography Clemson has a greater margin for error than we do. They could have ****ed up by taking a chance and they would have been ok. If we mess this up we probably spend another 10 years in the ****ter.

Disagree to an extent-He's a pretty damn good recruiter; The kids love him. He's earned a chance to interview for the job. If he blows Rick and Lance away, who are his coordinators going to be?

Disagree to an extent-He's a pretty damn good recruiter; The kids love him. He's earned a chance to interview for the job. If he blows Rick and Lance away, who are his coordinators going to be?
I am not disagreeing with you, but do all the kids really love him? There a couple of vocal ones, but my impression has been that it was mostly WR's and incoming recruits. I don't follow social media all that closely, so maybe it is clear that all the players love him

Unfortunately that's part of my point.

He doesn't have the pull or network YET to get good coordinators. CU doesn't have the appeal right now to draw a top coordinator under an unproven coach.

The best we could hope for is maybe an up and coming division II head coach running an amazing offensive scheme to come in as a OC and likely something similar as a D-coordinator.

All very risky.

I am not disagreeing with you, but do all the kids really love him? There a couple of vocal ones, but my impression has been that it was mostly WR's and incoming recruits. I don't follow social media all that closely, so maybe it is clear that all the players love him

Fair question-the half million things he's retweeted in the last week from the kids give one that impression though lol

Unfortunately that's part of my point.

He doesn't have the pull or network YET to get good coordinators. CU doesn't have the appeal right now to draw a top coordinator under an unproven coach.

The best we could hope for is maybe an up and coming division II head coach running an amazing offensive scheme to come in as a OC and likely something similar as a D-coordinator.

All very risky.

Oh definitely-but I think you could find risks with every single candidate we've talked about though. Like I said-he hasn't earned the job, but he has earned the right to interview for it. That being said, if him going anywhere was a concern-he's not the interim HC right now.

Oh definitely-but I think you could find risks with every single candidate we've talked about though. Like I said-he hasn't earned the job, but he has earned the right to interview for it. That being said, if him going anywhere was a concern-he's not the interim HC right now.

I completely agree that he should be interviewed for the job. I just don't like what it says about the state of the program if he's there guy.

Allbuffs has officially reached peak no coach stupidity.

It took a little less than a week.

I'm impressed.

Hold on a sec, pard’ner. First let me pitch a little reality TV show called “So You Think You Can Coach”

42ADFB41-54FF-4080-B915-085E88FBE205.jpeg

I just have trouble getting behind Chev for the HC job. He's had 1 poor year as an OC and 7 total years at the D1 coaching level that were not spent under coaches I'd see as good mentors for what we need (Neuheisel, Kingsbury, MacIntyre and Tucker). I love his recruiting and his passion for the program, but that's not enough for me to want him promoted to HC.

I just can’t shake the thought that HCDC would be a lot like HC Jason Brown of Last Chance U fame.

I also have some bias here based on my own work experience. Chev reminds me of top performing sales guys I've had who wouldn't shut up about wanting to be in management or go into marketing and I knew damn well that they were rock stars in sales, I was happy to pay them a premium to be there, but that they'd probably not be successful in the positions they wanted (and that they'd be less valuable to the organization in another role even if I could do things to make sure they didn't fail). But sometimes they get that title they want stuck in their head and you just can't convince them otherwise.

I am not all in on Chev. But he is the only one that can socially push for the position. If he wants it, fight for it. We need someone who will fight to be here. Fight to be a Buff. You fight for us, I will fight for you and we will figure it out. RG and LC will have his back, as a team we will get it done.

I also have some bias here based on my own work experience. Chev reminds me of top performing sales guys I've had who wouldn't shut up about wanting to be in management or go into marketing and I knew damn well that they were rock stars in sales, I was happy to pay them a premium to be there, but that they'd probably not be successful in the positions they wanted (and that they'd be less valuable to the organization in another role even if I could do things to make sure they didn't fail). But sometimes they get that title they want stuck in their head and you just can't convince them otherwise.
I think you've found a politically acceptable way to express what I've been thinking.

Back