What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Darrin Chiaverini - CU Interim Head Coach

Chev = Cabral
I see what you’re saying, and I almost made that comparison before, but that would be unfair to Cabral.

The only way Chev becomes the next HC at CU from my POV, is if we are desperate.

Cabral was a pro in every sense of the word and someone players could look up to like a father figure. Chev doesn’t seem to have that same presence. I worry Chev is more like the 2011 version of Bieniemy.
That's fair, I was referring more to tenures at CU and their ceiling at CU. Cabral at one time was a good to great recruiter as Chev is now. The players always loved both (yes for different reasons/personalities), both bleed the black and gold, etc.

Slightly different eras so I don't expect them to conduct themselves exactly the same. Chev probably does have more aspersions than Cabral did.

Cabral was a pro in every sense of the word and someone players could look up to like a father figure. Chev doesn’t seem to have that same presence. I worry Chev is more like the 2011 version of Bieniemy.
Agreed. From the fan's POV, it seems like Chev comes off as more of a brother or peer, or maybe the cool uncle who buys them beer, than a father figure. OC failures aside, it feels like it would be difficult for Chev (or anyone) to make that transition instantly. It's one thing to grow into the role, but I just don't see him as being there yet.

That's fair, I was referring more to tenures at CU and their ceiling at CU. Cabral at one time was a good to great recruiter as Chev is now. The players always loved both (yes for different reasons/personalities), both bleed the black and gold, etc.

Slightly different eras so I don't expect them to conduct themselves exactly the same. Chev probably does have more aspersions than Cabral did.
I don't think that word means what you think it means.
Also, we'll see on Chev matching Cabral's love for CU.

You do know that the 2018 team had MORE yards than the 2019 team..right???and averaged 4 more points per game..??nice try tho..lol.
Many things wrong here:

1. yards are not a good barometer for success of college offenses or defenses.
2. I am not looking to hire Jay Johnson as the HC for Colorado either.
3. If you think 2018 was successful offensively, you’d be dead wrong. Chev was demoted because of that failed year.

He is not qualified to be the HC at Colorado.

Many things wrong here:

1. yards are not a good barometer for success of college offenses or defenses.
2. I am not looking to hire Jay Johnson as the HC for Colorado either.
3. If you think 2018 was successful offensively, you’d be dead wrong. Chev was demoted because of that failed year.

He is not qualified to be the HC at Colorado.
Chev was not demoted..the new coach brought in his OWN coordinator...and the made Chev the assistant HC...making the SAME money as the coordinator...bottom line Iis that the offense statistically was WORSE under Johnson...in points and yards...not much you can say to change the FACTS...

Chev was not demoted..the new coach brought in his OWN coordinator...and the made Chev the assistant HC...making the SAME money as the coordinator...bottom line Iis that the offense statistically was WORSE under Johnson...in points and yards...not much you can say to change the FACTS...
So, you’ve got nothing.

I have a feeling this is coming down to Mora, and Chev. Make mine Chev. I’ll take the enthusiasm and the energy over experience. He can grow into the role and he recruits. I’m not saying this is ideal or a home run, but these are desperate times.

I have a feeling this is coming down to Mora, and Chev. Make mine Chev. I’ll take the enthusiasm and the energy over experience. He can grow into the role and he recruits. I’m not saying this is ideal or a home run, but these are desperate times.

:LOL:

They both so clearly want it the most, we should use that to our advantage. Hire Mora, pay him $2.5M. Give Chev a raise to $1M. Name them co-head coach, with the understanding Chev takes over when he’s ready.

They both so clearly want it the most, we should use that to our advantage. Hire Mora, pay him $2.5M. Give Chev a raise to $1M. Name them co-head coach, with the understanding Chev takes over when he’s ready.
Those “coach in waiting” agreements never seem to go according to plan. Besides I don’t think Mora is worth a darn. Chev will give us all he has got for years to come. Maybe that is all we can expect at this point

Those “coach in waiting” agreements never seem to go according to plan. Besides I don’t think Mora is worth a darn. Chev will give us all he has got for years to come. Maybe that is all we can expect at this point
It’s only been 5 days. I’m willing to wait and see what LC and RG can rustle up.

I am too but I just don’t see us getting anyone close. I a pessimist by nature and so I hope I’m wrong, but to don’t think I am. Timing killed us.

Timing killed us, but we must find a decent head coach if this program is going to stand any chance of not going right back down the drain. RG knows this, the pressure is on, he’ll get someone. Chev does a lot of great things for CU, but Chev is not ready to be a head coach.

I figure we'll overpay somehow instead of settling for someone awful like Mora.

The question there will be dealing with Kroll et al.

Timing killed us, but we must find a decent head coach if this program is going to stand any chance of not going right back down the drain. RG knows this, the pressure is on, he’ll get someone. Chev does a lot of great things for CU, but Chev is not ready to be a head coach.
I agree with everything you say. I HOPE that RG can pull a great coach out of a quality program at this late date. I think even for him, that is going to be tough. Deep down I can’t help thinking that “we’re ****ed.”

Back