What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Darrin Chiaverini relieved of his duties as Offensive Coordinator

I don't think we saw chev's offense then either. We saw MM's, with some of chev's ideas mixed in.

I think this offense is pretty much entirely KD with almost no Chev.

Chev doesn't seem bright enough to me to actually come up with a full offense, but I could be wrong, and no one knows for sure because no one has ever asked allowed him to.
He knows the Kliff's notes version of the air raid with a little Kingsbury annotation.

I'm just going to assume that KD will fire Chev, and get someone else to run his ****ty offense next year.

The offense will still be ****ty, and KD will never understand that the problem is his offense. He will be fired thinking the problem is his ACs and players.

I'm just going to assume that KD will fire Chev, and get someone else to run his ****ty offense next year.

The offense will still be ****ty, and KD will never understand that the problem is his offense. He will be fired thinking the problem is his ACs and players.
Chev will go work at Oregon, somehow get promoted to OC and take the Ducks to the playoffs.

We will all sit around and wonder wtf

Chev's scheme was pretty bad at the run game and I don't think he really understands blocking schemes or protections. But with the right OL Coach it would be a good system. The problem then is that play calling is one of those feel things where you either have it or you don't. Whatever "it" is, Chev lacks "it".

Regarding KD, his offensive scheme was vanilla 20 years ago. It performed well enough back then at CU and UCLA because of talent advantages. At Vanderbilt and now, he doesn't have a talent advantage. Worse, football's moved on and it's not the type of offense kids run through high school. That makes it hard to pick up on top of it being uninspired.

Will throw this out there, but was told tonight from someone with locker room access that Chev and KD got very heated earlier this week, and the gist of it was Chiv yelling at KD, because everyone wants Chiv fired, Chiv's offense sucks. Chiv has been running a bull**** offense that KD created, and Chiv yelling that he is not going to get fired because KD's offense is garbage. I'm told KD was the mastermind behind the BS crap they have been running and Chiv wants a more spread option O.
I can actually see this. When Chev previously had some control of the offense it was definitely more spread oriented - quick game, bubbles, jet, etc.

Chev's scheme was pretty bad at the run game and I don't think he really understands blocking schemes or protections. But with the right OL Coach it would be a good system. The problem then is that play calling is one of those feel things where you either have it or you don't. Whatever "it" is, Chev lacks "it".

Regarding KD, his offensive scheme was vanilla 20 years ago. It performed well enough back then at CU and UCLA because of talent advantages. At Vanderbilt and now, he doesn't have a talent advantage. Worse, football's moved on and it's not the type of offense kids run through high school. That makes it hard to pick up on top of it being uninspired.
I said this in another thread, but it's absolutely egregious that they hired a HS OL coach with the experience of the rest of the staff. I kind of get the impression that OL scheme is "glossed over" and that the former WRs running the show just assume that the OL will do their job without any instruction.

I said this in another thread, but it's absolutely egregious that they hired a HS OL coach with the experience of the rest of the staff. I kind of get the impression that OL scheme is "glossed over" and that the former WRs running the show just assume that the OL will do their job without any instruction.
Yep.

At the time Tucker left, I was willing to let Chev walk & make Kap the OC if that's what it would take to keep him. (Would have preferred co-OC with a QB Coach who would have play calling).

He was a huge loss.

And you guys can't convince me we wouldn't be a lot more competitive if that was our current setup - even if it meant KD was still our HC and Langsdorf was the co-OC and play caller.

Last edited:
A fundamental understanding of blocking schemes and protections is essential to calling a good offense. Leach was an o-line coach under Mumme when he started and held that responsibility several times while working under Mumme at all their stops. It is one of the key reasons he was so effective with the offense.

Yep.

At the time Tucker left, I was willing to let Chev walk & make Kap the OC I'd that's what it would take to keep him. (Would have preferred co-OC with a QB Coach who would have play calling).

He was a huge loss.

And you guys can't convince me we wouldn't be a lot more competitive if that was our current setup - even if it meant KD was still our HC and Langsdorf was the co-OC and play caller.
We'd at least have fighting chance. There are other factors at play, but I'm skeptical that it's coincidence that MSU is averaging almost half the sacks allowed per game (1.60 vs. 3.00), 70 more rushing yards per game (210 vs. 140), and 2 full yards per carry more than CU. Keep in mind that MSU's game against FCS competition was not their season high in rushing, unlike CU.

His last job was as a HS coach. He spent the majority of his career at Louisiana Lafayette (and Southern Mississippi). To your point, he never really recruited outside of Louisiana when he was at ULL or USM. He’s not a good enough recruiter or coach for this level.

edited to include USM tenure.

Last edited:
The last time Chev tweeted anything was 9/15 and it was a RT of a Dorrell gif leading up to the Minnesota game. I'm in no way suggesting this is some kind of signal that he's on the way out, but I've noticed that pretty much every other coach has tweeted out where they are going this week for recruiting, but complete silence from Chev.

The last time Chev tweeted anything was 9/15 and it was a RT of a Dorrell gif leading up to the Minnesota game. I'm in no way suggesting this is some kind of signal that he's on the way out, but I've noticed that pretty much every other coach has tweeted out where they are going this week for recruiting, but complete silence from Chev.
Maybe Chev is hard at work formulating a new offense to fit Lewis’s strengths!! Or not….

He's gonna go silent until something positive happens. Cause if he does tweet a bunch of fire emojis, he's gonna get flamed into oblivion.

Back