What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Darrin Chiaverini relieved of his duties as Offensive Coordinator

Our defense was a sieve...we rarely stopped anyone..gave up 32.5 point per game..previous year..33.3...

Summers got fired for that performance
..wilson kept his job...

And stop blaming the offense..qbs had career days against the Buffs...

Last edited:
This is a huge question.

I thought the effort on defense this year was more than acceptable but outside of a very few players we had no playmakers, no guys who regularly won one on one matchups, especially on the D-Line.

When we went with a basic 3 man rush they might as well have been working on one of the left over blocking sleds, engage and get tied up in a stand-off.

We rarely busted a pocket or disrupted a running play in the backfield if it wasn't on a blitz, the same blitzes that left us open to big plays in holes left by the blitzer(s.)

Coaching matters and can make a difference but ultimately talent makes the difference. Give Chev Ohio State's offensive talent or Wilson Georgia's defensive talent and they would win a lot of games, maybe a few less than the current coaches but still win a lot of games.

Problem with that idea is that nobody "gives" you talent, the only way to get it is to go out and recruit it, and before somebody brings up the portal that requires recruiting effort as well to get the players that other teams also want.

We can change coaches and still need to make some coaching changes but until we have a recruiting based culture we will never be better than those teams that out recruit us, which right now is most of them.

Well put in all. But I don't think this is entirely recruiting.

The question I have is about player development even more than recruiting. I watched the Utah DL just run through our OL, and I don't see any of their players (except one) as being NFL-caliber players, or even super-highly recruited. Even the one guy who will be a first rounder was just a HS basketball player with no other P-5 offers, except Utah, right? They took a flier on him, and clearly it paid off. We do that all that time, and sometimes it works out, but usually not.

So, how is it that Utah's OL and DL dominate us each and every year (almost)? I don't see that their recruiting has been ranked all that great, or that a bunch of guys from their lines end up being AA or even All-PAC12. I admit I don't pay very close attention to those numbers or awards, so maybe it's more glaring than I think it is.

After MM, we finally have an OL that has the right size, but then they can't seem to block anyone. Utah collapsed the pocket on every down with only 3-4 rushing. How does that happen? I'd love a detailed explanation if anyone has one.

The equivalent to keeping Chev is coming home from a dinner and movie, your 3yr old twins are crying and the baby sitter has 2 empty wine bottles on the table, a joint burning on the ledge, her boyfriend singing in the shower, and old Pearl Jam music on full blast. Do you keep using this baby sitter?
Hell yeah if she dumps the boy friend!

I just got back from three hours of shoveling horse sh*t at my rescue gig so I hadn't seen the big news!

Poor guy - he seems so likable. But he just wasn't cutting it.

I assume the next OC will be hiring his preferred staff. There has to be more moves coming. Offense and defense. Right? This cannot be the only move.

So are the WR’s who were supposedly entering the portal because Chev was staying now in wait and see mode? I mean, we all had it on “good” authority that Chev was staying. How did we get it so wrong? :LOL:

Chev is a good recruiter…over his head in running an offense…might need to go a level higher when firing coaches…

Our defense was a sieve...we rarely stopped anyone..gave up 32.5 point per game..previous year..33.3...

Summers got fired for that performance
..wilson kept his job...

And stop blaming the offense..qbs had career days against the Buffs...
The defense was atrocious. The only reason more people aren't calling for changes there is because the offense was historically awful. You're not going to fire both coordinators in the same year, especially after firing the DC just a year ago. That doesn't excuse the ineptitude on defense, it just shifts the focus away from it.

Well put in all. But I don't think this is entirely recruiting.

The question I have is about player development even more than recruiting. I watched the Utah DL just run through our OL, and I don't see any of their players (except one) as being NFL-caliber players, or even super-highly recruited. Even the one guy who will be a first rounder was just a HS basketball player with no other P-5 offers, except Utah, right? They took a flier on him, and clearly it paid off. We do that all that time, and sometimes it works out, but usually not.

So, how is it that Utah's OL and DL dominate us each and every year (almost)? I don't see that their recruiting has been ranked all that great, or that a bunch of guys from their lines end up being AA or even All-PAC12. I admit I don't pay very close attention to those numbers or awards, so maybe it's more glaring than I think it is.

After MM, we finally have an OL that has the right size, but then they can't seem to block anyone. Utah collapsed the pocket on every down with only 3-4 rushing. How does that happen? I'd love a detailed explanation if anyone has one.
Don't disagree with you at all.

Would contend though that finding and getting those development players is also a product of effort and focus on recruiting.

Utah has some guys who were no highly rated but they also have multiple guys who were recruited by multiple P5 schools as well. Key is that they don't just have 5-6 guys on the OL and 5-6 on the DL that they "hope" turn out. They have a number of guys who don't turn out and develop but they can absorb it because they have the depth to work the percentages.

We have guys who develop as well but we don't have the depth to allow them to develop before forcing them in.

Purcell is a guy who I have always liked, hard worker with good technique. He is also a guy who was forced to play very early simply because we had nobody else. His technique was good enough but he regularly would be in position, set up correctly, and get run over because he didn't have the physical maturity. Yes he weighed 300lbs but to much of that was puppy fat.

If he were at Utah he would have had someone in front of him for at least a couple years.

Don't disagree with you at all.

Would contend though that finding and getting those development players is also a product of effort and focus on recruiting.

Utah has some guys who were no highly rated but they also have multiple guys who were recruited by multiple P5 schools as well. Key is that they don't just have 5-6 guys on the OL and 5-6 on the DL that they "hope" turn out. They have a number of guys who don't turn out and develop but they can absorb it because they have the depth to work the percentages.

We have guys who develop as well but we don't have the depth to allow them to develop before forcing them in.

Purcell is a guy who I have always liked, hard worker with good technique. He is also a guy who was forced to play very early simply because we had nobody else. His technique was good enough but he regularly would be in position, set up correctly, and get run over because he didn't have the physical maturity. Yes he weighed 300lbs but to much of that was puppy fat.

If he were at Utah he would have had someone in front of him for at least a couple years.
Good points.

Depth has been a huge problem here for a long time. At least, we seem to be getting bigger guys in general; but I agree, it takes a couple years to transition the baby fat to man-strength.

We’ve had a bit better luck with good DL, but again, horribly thin depth.

This all takes some years to fix.

I assume the next OC will be hiring his preferred staff. There has to be more moves coming. Offense and defense. Right? This cannot be the only move.

So are the WR’s who were supposedly entering the portal because Chev was staying now in wait and see mode? I mean, we all had it on “good” authority that Chev was staying. How did we get it so wrong? :LOL:
Because it would seem that players were openly lied to about him staying which is very odd considering they were told this 3 days ago only to see him be let go right after

Because it would seem that players were openly lied to about him staying which is very odd considering they were told this 3 days ago only to see him be let go right after
Or you’re hearing someone tell you something they heard through other players or GAs/QCs and not directly.

This has been fairly obviously happening for a while and other notes from 247 suggest there was never a chance he was being retained

The equivalent to keeping Chev is coming home from a dinner and movie, your 3yr old twins are crying and the baby sitter has 2 empty wine bottles on the table, a joint burning on the ledge, her boyfriend singing in the shower, and old Pearl Jam music on full blast. Do you keep using this baby sitter?

this is the plaid suit of allbuffs posts

Pearl Jam is iconic

appreciate Chev’s dedication to the Buffs, cautiously optimistic we can bring in the right next hire

Last edited:
I have to say, if I had an employment contract like these guys have, I would be thrilled to be fired. Hang at home with the wife. Ride my bike for hours every day. Still have huge checks deposited into my bank account. Buy a super-high-end bike. No responsibility. Just free money. Fire me, please!!!

Hey. Maybe this is the explanation for play-calling all along?
I would go work with or for EB at KC or if he gets a head job and just learn

Or you’re hearing someone tell you something they heard through other players or GAs/QCs and not directly.

This has been fairly obviously happening for a while and other notes from 247 suggest there was never a chance he was being retained
That’s certainly possible, I just find it hard to believe that player to player via text, while I was with the player getting the text, would be a story that was completely made up by the receiver. I don’t mind getting this one wrong one bit, I’m thrilled. But this seems like a time where the players story is correct. We will never know if it actually happened though.

That’s certainly possible, I just find it hard to believe that player to player via text, while I was with the player getting the text, would be a story that was completely made up by the receiver. I don’t mind getting this one wrong one bit, I’m thrilled. But this seems like a time where the players story is correct. We will never know if it actually happened though.
I guess I just don’t get why you say this seems like a time where the players story is correct. He obviously got bad info, probably from Chev’s son or someone who didn’t want to break the news prematurely.

I’m not trying to discredit you whatsoever. You’ve been right about pretty much everything from my recollection, I just don’t buy for a second that this decision was made in favor of keeping Chev, only to turn around and fire him 2 days later.

Back