What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Davis Webb transfers to Cal, spurns CU

I try to take more of a two way street approach. This player wants playing time so he can better his odds of success at the next level. Schools generally don't promise playing time. You have to compete. That's fine, but guess what? I see that cutting both ways. No guarantees and nothing promised. Schools need to compete too, and where there is competition there will be winners and losers. In his eyes he went with the school that game him the best chance to "win". Just as a school/coach will play the player that gives the team/coach the best chance to win. No guarantees on either side.
Yeah, but...

My understanding is that there WAS a guarantee in this arrangement. CU guaranteed Webb a scholarship in February, effectively shutting CU down from looking for other options and "bettering CU's odds of success." Webb in turn offered his word, something that clearly has no value.

In this arrangement, CU was the pig and Webb the chicken.

Yeah, but...

My understanding is that there WAS a guarantee in this arrangement. CU guaranteed Webb a scholarship in February, effectively shutting CU down from looking for other options and "bettering CU's odds of success." Webb in turn offered his word, something that clearly has no value.

I can think of a much more appropriate analogy, but will spare you the gif.

Here are 8 more examples of QBs swapping college programs in 2016 that are expected to make a difference.

Dakota Prukup - From Montana State to Oregon
Luke Del Rio - from Oregon State to Florida
Trevor Knight - From Oklahoma to A&M
John O'Korn - From Houston to Michigan
Patrick Towles - From Kentucky to Boston College
Kenny Hill - From A&M to TCU
John Franklin III - from Florida State to Auburn
Maty Mauk - from Mizzou to E Kentucky

Last edited by a moderator:
CU could have kept looking. The problem is that immediately eligible transfer QBs don't grow on trees. The good ones have options to win now. We don't need another Gehrke

There's always a scholarship available for the starting QB. Always. Rippy's would volunteer to medically retire if I was coach just to keep him out of the mix. Just me though.

Now I think we focus on having an upper class QB here ready for 2017.

Yeah, but...

There was no guarantee on playing time. There was no guarantee that his offensive line would protect him. There are no guarantees in anything. The paperwork that Webb signed was non binding. He established a base option with CU then went with the school that, in his eyes, gave him the best chance to win. Coaches don't apologize in taking this approach and benching players who expected to play when they "committed" to the school. It's a fluid process in reality. Webb didn't have every option perfectly laid out for him at the exact same time.

Supply and demand. Lots of schools looking for a QB with potential talent. Gotta compete and win.

There was no guarantee on playing time. There was no guarantee that his offensive line would protect him. There are no guarantees in anything. The paperwork that Webb signed was non binding. He established a base option with CU then went with the school that, in his eyes, gave him the best chance to win. Coaches don't apologize in taking this approach and benching players who expected to play when they "committed" to the school. It's a fluid process in reality. Webb didn't have every option perfectly laid out for him at the exact same time.

Supply and demand. Lots of schools looking for a QB with potential talent. Gotta compete and win.
Pretty much correct, except Davis could give a **** about winning....this is all about him improving his draft status. Obviously, winning and his draft status may be correlated, but not necessarily (see Goff last year).

Pretty much correct, except Davis could give a **** about winning....this is all about him improving his draft status. Obviously, winning and his draft status may be correlated, but not necessarily (see Goff last year).

Correct. His definition of "winning" is exactly as you said. Of course, this is the same for any student, right? That's mainly the point of going to college, right? Preparing yourself for your vocation after college.

Yeah, but...

It was non binding for both parties I believe. Schools are constantly bringing in players to compete for your job and will pick and choose what is best for the school. Why can't a player do the same? Why can they pick and choose what's best for them? What school is able to bring in the best supporting cast (e.g. offensive line), the best coaches, the best system, national exposure, etc. These other schools are doing a better job. I'm going with what gives me the best chance to "win" and what's best for my career choices.

Compete.

Nothing earth-shattering here, but throws more good pub toward Chev's comments and how both sides handled it.

Who cares, recruits don't really care, and this story does nothing for our program beside showing how we are a stepping stone at best. I can honestly tell you from speaking with a recent top recruit who is a family friend that not many kids talk about cu unless they need a good laugh. But hey at least we are nice guys...

Nothing earth-shattering here, but throws more good pub toward Chev's comments and how both sides handled it.

Nice to see Chev getting some love for how he handled the situation, but they sure went easy on Webb in that piece. Not sure calling the coach the day the news breaks to give him the heads up after allegedly giving Mac his word all the way up to that point is a classy way out. But that's just my own sour grapes.

Who cares, recruits don't really care, and this story does nothing for our program beside showing how we are a stepping stone at best. I can honestly tell you from speaking with a recent top recruit who is a family friend that not many kids talk about cu unless they need a good laugh. But hey at least we are nice guys...
Yep. Every ****ing doosh in the world is laughing at CU.

Putin-Laughing-gif.gif

You should have slapped the kid in the face right there.

It was non binding for both parties I believe. Schools are constantly bringing in players to compete for your job and will pick and choose what is best for the school. Why can't a player do the same? Why can they pick and choose what's best for them? What school is able to bring in the best supporting cast (e.g. offensive line), the best coaches, the best system, national exposure, etc. These other schools are doing a better job. I'm going with what gives me the best chance to "win" and what's best for my career choices.

Compete.
Bolded is false if the article linked below is true. I stand by my point that CU committed in February and that all Webb gave was his worthless word.

The agreement gave Webb an opportunity to shop around and he did, but if he were an honorable man he would have let CU out of its obligation when he went to the better offer store.

I get it, new **** came to light. When that happened he should have been a stand-up guy and broke the agreement long before the day he checked in to Berkeley. He took advantage of a situation, great for him.

Here's hoping that if he wins the starting job that his supporting cast fails miserably. Am I petty...? Yes.

I'm not really sure I want us to be known as the school you can screw over with little to no consequences.

I'm not really sure I want us to be known as the school you can screw over with little to no consequences.
Lol, what consequences should there have been for Webb? A lashing out on Twitter? A strongly worded phone call voicing our displeasure? Come on, man.

Nice to see Chev getting some love for how he handled the situation, but they sure went easy on Webb in that piece. Not sure calling the coach the day the news breaks to give him the heads up after allegedly giving Mac his word all the way up to that point is a classy way out. But that's just my own sour grapes.

I agree with you, mostly. Glad to see there was little public anger displayed by Webb's decision. But, I think the quietness is more from a standpoint of damage control and keeping it a low profile versus true opinion of the coaching staff. We may never know the real timeline; had it really been two months of consultation with former TT coaches and deliberation about Cal vs CU vs any other team without notifying Mac and Chev until the final hour I don't see much honesty in that case.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...eveals-why-he-picked-cal-over-colorado-052216

"Those two guys had invested a lot of time and effort recruiting me, and I really respect them," Webb told FOX Sports. "They handled it very professionally. It was nothing against Colorado, but at the same time, I only have one year to do this.

"When I committed in January, that was the best situation for me, but then something that fit me better came along."

This is the equivalent to in professional sports where a top team beats a celler dweller and in the post game presser the winner says "we knew this would be a tough game, they are a good team and we just had to dig deep and fight through." Faked respect the worst. Don't really know how much the staff we can put on the staff; Webb seemed to get caught up in the moment throughout this process and was willing to follow whoever was the next suitor to come down the line. I am disappointed how this saga ended because we certainly could have used him.

Lol, what consequences should there have been for Webb? A lashing out on Twitter? A strongly worded phone call voicing our displeasure? Come on, man.

I think a short, to the point reaction that expressed disappointment that he was unwilling to comply with his commitment would have been appropriate. Put the blame squarely on him and call his character into question without seeming too whiney about it.

I think a short, to the point reaction that expressed disappointment that he was unwilling to comply with his commitment would have been appropriate. Put the blame squarely on him and call his character into question without seeming too whiney about it.
Eh, I think that doosh at aTm put a screeching halt to negative public statements about student athletes.

You could make some comment about how it's a bad rule that should be changed, but I'd do whatever I could to avoid having the program come across as a jilted lover - that's the fan's job.

I agree it's a very fine line to tread. Again, I mostly don't want us to be the place where you know you can commit, then back out without some blowback. What Webb did was bush league. Maybe that's obvious to anybody paying attention. I don't think it would be out of line for that fact to be pointed out, even if subtlety, by the coaches.

Back