What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Defense played well, offense is High School

Once again, offense was issue. I get injuries etc. but 86 yds in entire 2nd half? This is on offense period. And we aren't delusional, the game was there for the taking. We didn't take advantage of the opportunity is all we are saying. Frustrated....
You need a new screen name.

That crazy man Leach is pretty good coach. Seems to win wherever he goes. His methods might be questioned, but WSU was nothing when he got there.

Maybe I’m too pessimistic, but UW had huge chunks of yards consistently on first down, and then when it mattered on 3rd and long or on 4th, they converted even when we had them bottled up. Not sure we had ANY pass break ups (Browning just straight up missed on his incompletions). So everyone saying our D played good (without Gsskin), not sure what they are seeing that I’m not.

Maybe I’m too pessimistic, but UW had huge chunks of yards consistently on first down, and then when it mattered on 3rd and long or on 4th, they converted even when we had them bottled up. Not sure we had ANY pass break ups (Browning just straight up missed on his incompletions). So everyone saying our D played good (without Gsskin), not sure what they are seeing that I’m not.
CBs still w/o an INT this year I think.

Offense has so much potential, but just not sure that right now the play caller and the QB are on the same page. Sometimes it looked like Montez was not happy about the play being called. If Chiv is inspired by Leach, I am still wondering why we do not see more of the Air Raid at times when we need it. Washington State seems to have lots of good throwing options on most plays, and I know that Offensive line play has lots to do about that.

Not sure why we were running up the middle on first down every single time? McMillan runs to upright, and needs a little space to make his moves work. I thought the outside toss plays would have been a better call, and could not have done worse than the straight up the middle runs, especially if you add the TE and WR blocking on the edge.

We have supreme WR talent and pretty decent TE's (Would love to see Poplawski on the field), so hear me out on this one, what if Viska was the primary RB? I know that would risk more injury, but having him at RB every down would open up so many options that we currently just do not have. He can run, then catch screens, then split out like a WR and make them have to account for everyone. Viska, Nixon, Arias, Brown, Stanley are a seriously potent group of guys, and I know there are more in the room and more coming!

Finally, I was curious about how Montez has fixed his long ball throws by slightly leaning back and putting more effort into the arch of the throw to make it more catachable. 2 years ago, he would overthrow every time because he would just let it rip. He has thrown a lot of great long balls, but ironically, the late game ball he tried to throw to Arias was under thrown because he cannot take that much off of a 45 yard pass, instead he needed to lean in to that throw and let it rip because Arias could flat out run by that corner every time..

Sounds like someone’s been playing too much NCAA Football 2014.

Travon is not a problem at all. He’s the 2nd/3rd best player on the offense and was the best offensive player on the field for the Buffs yesterday. Why are we trying to find a solution for a problem that doesn’t exist?

“Pretty good TEs”... lol we have a few guys who can line up and run a crossing route I guess. I wouldn’t call that “pretty good”, but OK. Also Poplawski is out for the season.

Chev got his lane kiffin on vs UW. Bubble screens and quick reverses. Honestly this game was hindered with no shenualt. I understand its one player and "no one player makes a team," but besides the Arias TD (nasty btw), there were few big plays down field. @Duff Man stated during fall camp that we needed a true WR1 to take the next step and that was apparent yesterday.

the ol is a huge issue. i wonder if they'd be better off keeping an extra blocker in and trying to buy enough time for montez to take some more shots downfield. or roll him out like they used to do with sefo and montez has a way better arm than sefo.

the 3rd down runs were maddening. uw stacks the box and we go right at it. i don't understand that at all. also, athletic teams have exposed our play calling. all that dancing around and fancy-footing at the LOS doesn't do **** against a team with the athletes to punch your guys in the mouth at the LOS.

we'd have been better, especially in the 2nd half, if we weren't down a starting dl against the run. and our lbs are generally not physically built to cover a physical inside running game.

outside of utah, i think we match up pretty well against the remaining schedule (well, call it hope rather than think).

We kept it within reach which was a good thing. UW isn't the team they have been last few years and were ripe for the taking. Unfortunately, our high school offense doesn't cut it against quality opponents. I was impressed with how defense hung in there. Stupid penalty late, but still they played well enough for us to win. Why we can't find a punter or kicker being we are CU, is beyond me. I know that crap punt didn't hurt us, but it should have. Again, credit to defense there.

The offense is just too high school. Montez is unable to read a defense and adjust. Thus first read isn't there, it's a done deal 90% of time. Maybe that is because our other positions like OL force Chev's hand. I don't know but this offense is absolutely putrid against decent opponents. I feel like I'm watching Friday Night Lights.

Thoughts?
Bruh. Dont be tainted donkey teet. We're going 4 and 1 these next five games, possibly 5 and 0. We are in a good place right now, humbled but hungry. Coaches going to adjust, players going to learn from it and purge away the rest. We are a good football team. So we made some mistakes that got uber-exposed because we were playing top 10 - top 12 programs in the nation these last 2 games. Our program knows where they need to improve both long and short term, and I trust them to do it. But 'high school'? Sheesh.

Bruh. Dont be tainted donkey teet. We're going 4 and 1 these next five games, possibly 5 and 0. We are in a good place right now, humbled but hungry. Coaches going to adjust, players going to learn from it and purge away the rest. We are a good football team. So we made some mistakes that got uber-exposed because we were playing top 10 - top 12 programs in the nation these last 2 games. Our program knows where they need to improve both long and short term, and I trust them to do it.

Uh, USC is not a Top 10-12 team. And we got uber exposed by two good teams, but we are possibly going 10-2?

I don’t agree with scaling back Montez as a running QB. With a marginal OL, the QB threat to pull and run, designed or improvised, is crucial.

Uh, USC is not a Top 10-12 team. And we got uber exposed by two good teams, but we are possibly going 10-2?
Yeah, USC is a top 10-12 program. Not a top 12 team this year obviously. I think there's a decent chance we go 10-2 this year. I understand that's fairly extreme given Utah's capabilities in the trenches, but not as extreme as saying 'the offense is high school.' Our mistakes were magnified against two really good defenses, but who said the whole team got uber-exposed? I said our mistakes were, but not the whole team. I know this flies in the face of your pessi-realism, but I'm a freaking fan and I'm still optimistic about our chances to win some more games against some good teams. I mean, even Rooney is optimistic, which is saying something cause that guy isn't all that often. http://www.buffzone.com/columnists/ci_32220242/rooney-effort-from-injury-riddled-cu-buffs-promising

Last edited:
Yeah, USC is a top 10-12 program. Not a top 12 team this year obviously. I think there's a decent chance we go 10-2 this year. I understand that's fairly extreme given Utah's capabilities in the trenches, but not as extreme as saying 'the offense is high school.' Our mistakes were magnified against two really good defenses, but who said the whole team got uber-exposed? I said our mistakes were, but not the whole team. I know this flies in the face of your pessi-realism, but I'm a freaking fan and I'm still optimistic about our chances to win some more games against some good teams. I mean, even Rooney is optimistic, which is saying something cause that guy isn't all that often. http://www.buffzone.com/columnists/ci_32220242/rooney-effort-from-injury-riddled-cu-buffs-promising

USC is not a good defense.

Optimism is fine, but you are glossing over a lot of what happened in the last two games. "Mistakes" do not explain away the really bad OL play.

We have talent at WR, but some of you act like it is a group of All Americans. It is not THAT good of a group.
Exactly. And especially when we're playing without Viska, Winfree and JMac -- the UW secondary had a massive talent advantage on our WR group yesterday. Somehow most of our fans don't seem to be able to grasp that. Jimmy Lake has been recruiting DBs better than CU has been recruiting DBs or WRs, and by a good margin.

Exactly. And especially when we're playing without Viska, Winfree and JMac -- the UW secondary had a massive talent advantage on our WR group yesterday. Somehow most of our fans don't seem to be able to grasp that. Jimmy Lake has been recruiting DBs better than CU has been recruiting DBs or WRs, and by a good margin.

Right. Washington is the #10 scoring defense in the country. Even at full strength, that is going to be a tough matchup on the road.

USC is a different story. I keep seeing people talk about the "good" defense we played last week. That defense is 61st in pass efficiency defense and 72nd in scoring defense.

Right. Washington is the #10 scoring defense in the country. Even at full strength, that is going to be a tough matchup on the road.

USC is a different story. I keep seeing people talk about the "good" defense we played last week. That defense is 61st in pass efficiency defense and 72nd in scoring defense.

the utes managed to light up that supposed great usc defense

You are correct. USC is not close to a top 10-12 team. Maybe not a top 25 team with a tougher schedule.

The do have a number of players who are top 10 type talent and our coaching was not good enough (frankly it wasn't good enough period) to overcome the talent difference.

Hate to sound like a broken record but far more often than not talent beats coaching. We don't have that kind of talent.

I like MacIntyre as a coach and as a person but despite the improvements of the past couple classes our recruiting still has to be better, especially on the line of scrimmage.

Bruh. Dont be tainted donkey teet. We're going 4 and 1 these next five games, possibly 5 and 0. We are in a good place right now, humbled but hungry. Coaches going to adjust, players going to learn from it and purge away the rest. We are a good football team. So we made some mistakes that got uber-exposed because we were playing top 10 - top 12 programs in the nation these last 2 games. Our program knows where they need to improve both long and short term, and I trust them to do it. But 'high school'? Sheesh.
There are some teams left who have strengths that play to CU weaknesses. 5-0 would be more amazing that first 1/2 of this season.

USC is not a good defense.

Optimism is fine, but you are glossing over a lot of what happened in the last two games. "Mistakes" do not explain away the really bad OL play.
We are still talking about the bad OL play? I thought that was a by-gone assumption. Curious how you would explain USC's defensive success in terms of how USC's defense played that night.

We are still talking about the bad OL play? I thought that was a by-gone assumption. Curious how you would explain USC's defensive success in terms of how USC's defense played that night.

So you think USC is a good defense, despite a lot of evidence to the contrary?

They looked good against CU because the gameplan was garbage and CU's offense was probably overrated going into the game.

As far as the OL, we are talking about them still because that group is going to prevent this team from having a shot at 10 wins, but you seem to think "mistakes" are more to blame.

Think it might have to do with Utah placing a bigger emphasis on recruiting quality and depth on the offensive line?
very true!...we need a concerted effort to recruit at a much higher level when it comes to the oline.... not sure our recruiting priorities and efforts are in the right places

So you think USC is a good defense, despite a lot of evidence to the contrary?

They looked good against CU because the gameplan was garbage and CU's offense was probably overrated going into the game.

As far as the OL, we are talking about them still because that group is going to prevent this team from having a shot at 10 wins, but you seem to think "mistakes" are more to blame.
So USC's D isnt good, based on their defensive efficiency rank, that claim should be walked back, so I'll walk it back. I still want to know whether our whole offense is 'high school', or just the OL. We all know the OL play doesn't give the rest of the offense much room for making any mistakes, but just because I didn't include the glaring underperformance of one of our units in response to an extreme post doesn't mean that I think that the mistakes hold the greater responsibility for the overall offensive success (or lack thereof) than the OL itself.

Think it might have to do with Utah placing a bigger emphasis on recruiting quality and depth on the offensive line?
Naaah. UU missed out on scouring the ranks fro diamonds in the rough and project guys. They really missed the boat.

I doubt it’s a matter of not putting adequate emphasis on recruiting OL. It’s more that we are missing out on the OL that would be difference makers. The way some of you act, we only care about recruiting certain positions.

I doubt it’s a matter of not putting adequate emphasis on recruiting OL. It’s more that we are missing out on the OL that would be difference makers. The way some of you act, we only care about recruiting certain positions.
During MM’s tenure, the OL has been handled by two guys whom he brought with him from SJSU, one of which just pretty much, flat out doesn’t recruit. Literally every other position group (besides TEs) has been upgraded with better coaches/recruiters.

Not to mention the entire OL recruiting philosophy up until the last year or two has been finding physically under developed kids and molding them into the body type they prefer.

Only 4 (sometimes 5) DBs play at once, only 4 (sometimes 5) WRs play at once, yet we don’t seem to have an issue recruiting those positions at a competent level. 5 OL play on every single offensive snap and we have been ****ing around with new combinations every week for the past two years and the OL has easily been the weak link of the program.

MM is not emphasizing the recruiting aspect of the OL position at the level he should be.

Back