What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Defense played well, offense is High School

I doubt it’s a matter of not putting adequate emphasis on recruiting OL. It’s more that we are missing out on the OL that would be difference makers. The way some of you act, we only care about recruiting certain positions.
I don't usually agree with you, but I do here. The coaches don't just ignore recruiting good O-linemen, they just aren't landing their top targets, and we've lost a few guys that have come on board.

I don't usually agree with you, but I do here. The coaches don't just ignore recruiting good O-linemen, they just aren't landing their top targets, and we've lost a few guys that have come on board.
And they lose their top targets because they have a well earned reputation for not developing draftable talent. They’ve created the football equivalent of the doldrums.

And they lose their top targets because they have a well earned reputation for not developing draftable talent. They’ve created the football equivalent of the doldrums.

And while they make the offers to top guys they don't stick to them. They act like they expect those top guys to go elsewhere and move on to their plan B (plan C?) guys far too quickly.

When our offensive line classes have been filling up early in the cycle with guys who no other P5 programs are going after hard and who in the best case are 2-3 years from being able to see the field then our failure to recruit OL is a self-fulfilling expectation.

We had the same problem on the DL and are still suffering from it but when MM's buddy Jeffcoat, who didn't put much effort into recruiting finally left and was replaced by Drake who has the energy and enthusiasm to recruit we started almost immediately to see results.

I understand that most of the DL recruits we have gotten since he came on board are credited to other assistants but it makes no sense think that his infectious energy has not had an impact and will not have an impact in the future.

I have a hard time believing the coaches sit in their planning meetings and say “OL isn’t as important as DB, so let’s not try as hard there”.

I can buy the theory that the coaches we have recruiting OL are not as effective as the guys recruiting other positions.

I have a hard time believing the coaches sit in their planning meetings and say “OL isn’t as important as DB, so let’s not try as hard there”.

I can buy the theory that the coaches we have recruiting OL are not as effective as the guys recruiting other positions.

If a guy who is mainly responsible for recruiting OL isn’t as effective at recruiting his position group as other guys on staff, shouldn’t MM make a change in order to... emphasize OL recruiting more?

If a guy who is mainly responsible for recruiting OL isn’t as effective at recruiting his position group as other guys on staff, shouldn’t MM make a change in order to... emphasize OL recruiting more?

We finally saw that with DL.

And teams do emphasize certain position groups over others. Some always want to make sure they have superior athletes at LB, others focus on WR or RB.

You can debate it all you want but we are now over six years into HCMM's time making the decisions about the Colorado football program. Not only do the results say more than words do the way we have gotten to those results matters.

Multiple times we have taken commitments from project type OL prospects that nobody else was seriously pushing early in the process. We took the easy way instead of battling longer for the tougher gets who were more ready to contribute.

This. The turnaround in our DL is amazing...the front 7 are in the top of the PAC... our DBs and OL are the weaknesses in this team IMO.
The DBs are merely having down cycle this year. Abrams and Miller-Slaughter will be very good next year as the lead corners on the team.

The OL weakness is not a cyclical thing. It’s a systemic thing.

Edit: now the safety position is another matter altogether. The Buffs are going to be young at that grouping next year. Could be a weakness for the short term.

The DBs are merely having down cycle this year. Abrams and Miller-Slaughter will be very good next year as the lead corners on the team.

Edit: now the safety position is another matter altogether. The Buffs are going to be young at that grouping next year. Could be a weakness for the short term.
Agreed on all points.

Agree on all of this.

We missed Abrams a lot on Saturday. He is a guy who will be playing at the next level. Miller is talented as well but looks like a freshman coming off an injury.

I am also not as down on Wigley and Uddofia as some others. They are both talented but learning. I remember some of the frustrations we had with Witherspoon early in his career at CU. He got beat on a number of plays that he would later never get beat on, now he is in the NFL.

Other than Daniel Munyer getting beat like a drum in Arizona how many recent CU OL are playing in the NFL? We haven't been getting the talent there.

Absolutely. Adams and Bernardi shouldn't have made it to year four, the fact they're in year six is a huge problem. G5 coaches provide G5 results.

I never bought into Klayton Adams getting promoted to that co-OC gig due to the issues on the OL. I think he needs to coach for his job next season.

One thing I don't get is the tempo we play with. Sometimes, we play fast and then they slow it down too. It's because the lack of production I suppose, but they should stick to it and maybe we'll catch some D's in bad matchups and what not. If we get out to a good lead I can see slowing it down some, I probably wouldn't do that, if it was me, even that being the case. It seems to screw up the O's rhythm a bit. The running game, ugh, wish we had one.

Replace him with an energetic young up and coming coach who has the energy and desire to recruit.

Pretty sure that we aren't paying Drake a bunch of money since we are his first P5 job.
Just once, I’d like for CU to go out and poach a solid, established P5 coach who has a track record of coaching and recruiting excellence. Yes, I understand those guys are in high demand and will cost a decent amount of money, but the returns on an investment like that should be immediate and if there’s one position coach that should be made a priority like that, it’s OL.

Just once, I’d like for CU to go out and poach a solid, established P5 coach who has a track record of coaching and recruiting excellence. Yes, I understand those guys are in high demand and will cost a decent amount of money, but the returns on an investment like that should be immediate and if there’s one position coach that should be made a priority like that, it’s OL.
Who would you look at for that job?

Idealy you are right. Get a solid, established guy who recruits and who brings credibility to the meeting rooms. Being experienced enough to provide solid support to the OC would be an added benefit.

That said if Adams is costing a bunch of money and they are concerned there are ways to upgrade without breaking the bank. Money should not be a reason to keep a coach who is dragging down the program.

No idea. I'm not a guy who knows assistant coaches. I'm just saying that for just one assistant coach position, I'd like for CU to be a program that pulls an Oregon and brings in a coach on a lateral move by offering more money than they're currently making. Maybe that's a pipe dream, but going with the young, energetic for arguably the most important position coach on the staff isn't the move, IMO.

Robbie Caldwell comes up when you search it, of course, he's at ****ing Clemson making 310 thousand a year. It had both college and NFL guys, think Munchack was at the top of it. It had a bunch of dudes that I haven't heard of as well. We need one that can recruit and coach. Maybe even recruits better than coaches. I'd prefer both, but it needs to happen to get to level they want to get to.

Nonsense, why would we do that? That would make far too much sense.

Idealy you are right. Get a solid, established guy who recruits and who brings credibility to the meeting rooms. Being experienced enough to provide solid support to the OC would be an added benefit.

That said if Adams is costing a bunch of money and they are concerned there are ways to upgrade without breaking the bank. Money should not be a reason to keep a coach who is dragging down the program.
Herb Hand. Go big!!!

Brad Bedell could be a good fit. Currently at Boise St. Has worked under a few decent coaches, played under Barnett, and knows the school and the challenges. Not suggesting him because he is a CU alum (as I'm sure some will assume). I think he could do a decent to good job and has been effective at different schools as well as played in the NFL. He has recruited some decent players and well as coached some. He is also familiar with other members of our staff as he coached with Ambrose last year. He is only making $250k this year. We could probably add him for not too much more.

Back