What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Defense played well, offense is High School

Brad Bedell could be a good fit. Currently at Boise St. Has worked under a few decent coaches, played under Barnett, and knows the school and the challenges. Not suggesting him because he is a CU alum (as I'm sure some will assume). I think he could do a decent to good job and has been effective at different schools as well as played in the NFL. He has recruited some decent players and well as coached some. He is also familiar with other members of our staff as he coached with Ambrose last year. He is only making $250k this year. We could probably add him for not too much more.
What kind of recruiting chops does he have? I'm well aware of who he is, I don't know what his recruiting is like other than what you pointed out?

What kind of recruiting chops does he have? I'm well aware of who he is, I don't know what his recruiting is like other than what you pointed out?
I don't know at this point. From his bio on the Boise website he has had all conference guys at each school he has coached. Seems like a decent indicator of coaching talent. All the schools are D2 before Boise (except for CU as a Grad Assistant and Baylor as Asst Dir. of Operations in 2016)). I think it would be based on his coaching ability as it doesn't seem like he has been at one school long enough at a high enough level to show off recruiting chops.

http://broncosports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/brad_bedell_1040504.html

Herb Hand is improbable and also underwhelming. He destroyed Penn State's OL and it looks like he killed Auburn's, too.

But if we're going with crazy expensive options that don't make much sense, why not Les Miles?

Glen Elarbee (UCF) or Chuck Langston (North Texas)

Neither are P5, but both would be good choices, and Langston would check the Texas recruiting boxes in a big way.

Bill Bedenbaugh.

Go big. It’s important.
Offer him the same title he has now (Co-OC and OL Coach), which exactly replaces Adams, but increase his salary from the current $535k to something like $650k. You think OU let's him walk or do you think they just chuckle and throw $750+ at him? Would he even care to make that move, regardless of money?

Not sure, TS.

Looking for a big hire with a Rolodex. That’s my main point. No reason to skimp.

If Adams leaves, Roper will get co-OC. Watch.

Glen Elarbee (UCF) or Chuck Langston (North Texas)

Neither are P5, but both would be good choices, and Langston would check the Texas recruiting boxes in a big way.

Don't know much about either one but there are some very good coaches at smaller schools.

In terms of recruiting look at how they recruit compared to their counterparts at similar schools. It is true that part of recruiting is building networks establishing relationships with kids over time. I think though that it is safe to say that somebody who can sell can sell at various levels given the support. The passion and the energy work at all levels.

I'd rather have a guy from a smaller school who is willing to work his butt off than a guy with a P5 resume who wants to simply ride that resume.

Not sure, TS.

Looking for a big hire with a Rolodex. That’s my main point. No reason to skimp.

If Adams leaves, Roper will get co-OC. Watch.

You are throwing out ridiculous possibilities just to be able to call MM "small time" when those guys are not hired.

You are throwing out ridiculous possibilities just to be able to call MM "small time" when those guys are not hired.
Nope. Not at all. It’s exactly what I think should be done with this critically important non-coordinator, staff position, none more important than OL and player personnel development. It’s a coach that is responsible for 45 percent of the personnel on O. It’s an essential hire.

You settle for small time, you get small time, be you MM or somebody else.

Nope. Not at all. It’s exactly what I think should be done with this critically important staff position, none more important than OL and player personnel development.

You settle for small time, you get small time be you MM or somebody else.

The two names you have thrown out:

Herb Hand (Texas): Currently the Co-OC/OL coach for a team currently ranked in the top 10 who makes $640,000 a year.

Bill Bedenbaugh: Currently the Co-OC/OL coach for a team currently ranked in the top 10 who makes $625,000 a year.

Explain how you convince either one that Boulder is a better situation. "Go big" is just a bunch of talk.

Langston or Bedell would work for me. Langston would give us another foot into Texas, which is important.

Herb Hand (Texas): Currently the Co-OC/OL coach for a team currently ranked in the top 10 who makes $640,000 a year.

Bill Bedenbaugh: Currently the Co-OC/OL coach for a team currently ranked in the top 10 who makes $625,000 a year.

Explain how you convince either one that Boulder is a better situation. "Go big" is just a bunch of talk.
I mentioned it in the OL thread but what about Sean Kugler, assuming VJ and staff are ultimately let go?

You are right. Just settle for a small fish. Coach em up.

CU is what it is financially, aspirationally, mired in in the middle.

Get someone big and good, MM. You got Roper. Find someone better than him at OL.

Upgrade rhe staff.

Nope. Not at all. It’s exactly what I think should be done with this critically important non-coordinator, staff position, none more important than OL and player personnel development. It’s a coach that is responsible for 45 percent of the personnel on O. It’s an essential hire.

You settle for small time, you get small time, be you MM or somebody else.

Well then Troll, let's go for Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick as Co OL coaches? Why settle for Hand or Bedenbaugh?

Maybe we can coax Saban to be the special teams coach? Why settle for small-time? Am I doing it right Troll?

Well then Troll, let's go for Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick as Co OL coaches? Why settle for Hand or Bedenbaugh?

Maybe we can coax Saban to be the special teams coach? Why settle for small-time? Am I doing it right Troll?
No. You are missing the point with your anger.

Some realism is good.

There’s a gap between G5 coaches or fromer Buff players vs established elite coaches making top dollar at elite programs.

I’d like to see CU start going after candidates from within that gap.

Some realism is good.

There’s a gap between G5 coaches or fromer Buff players vs established elite coaches making top dollar at elite programs.

I’d like to see CU start going after candidates from within that gap.
To me, that’s the kind of hire Roper was. Great tactician who makes players better, and has done it time and again. I would add ability to recruit to that list.

No. You are missing the point with your anger.

No, you're missing the point just to troll this board. I merely carried your premise to a ridiculous extreme to demonstrate the point that some coaching hires are not realistically within the reach of CU at this time. The coaches you mentioned may as well be named Parcells and Belichick.

Of course you don't care about that you just want rail against MacIntyre.

No, you're missing the point just to troll this board. I merely carried your premise to a ridiculous extreme to demonstrate the point that some coaching hires are not realistically within the reach of CU at this time. The coaches you mentioned may as well be named Parcells and Belichick.

Of course you don't care about that you just want rail against MacIntyre.
We resolved the issue with a reasonable discussion. You were a mere side act. Roper+.

mere side act. hmmm....:shifty:
Yeah, weak contribution. Didn’t join the discussion. Just attacked. That’s OK.

Roper+. Somewhere between Top 20 talent and former Buff/G5 coach. Has to be able to recruit.

Part with Bernardi too. Reframe that position to maximize staff help. Get 1 good stud GA. One analyst and one former HC to get OL help to get to where it needs to be.

Yeah, weak contribution. Didn’t join the discussion. Just attacked. That’s OK.

Roper+. Somewhere between Top 20 talent and former Buff/G5 coach. Has to be able to recruit.

Part with Bernardi too. Reframe that position to maximize staff help. Get 1 good stud GA. One analyst and one former HC to get OL help to get to where it needs to be.
I like your ambition and as I stated in another thread, I'd love for CU to just one time be the program that poaches a really good position coach from another P5 program for a lateral move. However, the guys you have named are simply not realistic. They are so far above the caliber of coach that Roper is/was that it's not comparable. I think Sean Kugler or Chris Strausser (h/t to Duff) are closer to what you are advocating for and far more realistic.

We resolved the issue with a reasonable discussion. You were a mere side act. Roper+.

Nothing has been resolved Troll. Far from it.

Your pompous bloated self-importance is laughable. Your fawning over DuffMan's every word to curry favor is especially pathetic.

So now the Stuffed Shirt is praising MM's hires from last year. You hated and belittled them at the time they were made.

Nothing has been resolved Troll. Far from it.

Your pompous bloated self-importance is laughable. Your fawning over DuffMan's every word to curry favor is especially pathetic.

So now the Stuffed Shirt is praising MM's hires from last year. You hated and belittled them at the time they were made.
Attack the poster. Lame contribution dripping with animus.

Wanna talk ball?

Back