What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Derek Mason, Vanderbilt HC

I'd give him a 5 out of 10.
images

A friend just sent me a story in the Tennessean where Mason says it's unfair to talk about the Colorado opening while he's preparing for the bowl game. He definitely is careful with his words and does not deny anything. Read into it what you want, but I feel like there's been some contact and some level of interest on both sides. What that results in of course...who knows.

Edit: guess Jeric had this already on Pg 1 and I'm too lazy to have had checked it first...

Last edited:
Would not be thrilled with Mason, but not a total no for me. If he brought in someone like Yost from Utah State to run the offense and then hired some recruiters....ehh, I'm having to talk myself into this way too much. Nevermind.

I think the odds of getting Yost are better if we go hire the dude he currently works for. No to this-there's not much difference to me between what Mason did there and what FHCMM did here.

A friend just sent me a story in the Tennessean where Mason says it's unfair to talk about the Colorado opening while he's preparing for the bowl game. He definitely is careful with his words and does not deny anything. Read into it what you want, but I feel like there's been some contact and some level of interest on both sides. What that results in of course...who knows.
Maybe he’s been contacted about the DC job. Seriously. There is no chance in hell that Mason would seriously be considered for the HC job, unless RG was a complete liar.

Last edited:
Maybe he’s been contacted about the DC job. Seriously. There is no chance in hell that amazon would seriously be considered for the HC job, unless RG was a complete liar.

Amazon for HC does seem interesting

-wants to take over the world, ambitious
-innovative
-willing to toss aside worthless assistants (no Bernardis or Jeffcoats, replaced by robots)
-willing to create a circus for some tax breaks

Couple of thoughts:

1) His agent is doing a great job. I think he is probably leveraging this into a nice little extension. Look at what everyone did with Tennesee last year.

2) Colorado can do better than Mason. He’s not a bad coach and he’s a decent recruiter, but he was left a good foundation from Franklin and you’ve seen how they have continued to take steps back.

3) Colorado is now the best available job on the market. They should be able to lure a pretty solid name, especially when you considering UNC’s hire. This is a job for a national coach who can win at home and be competitive nationally for highly ranked recruits. With these facilities, administration and fan base, you can win here!

- I know I will become the “pump the Schiano” guy, but he’s the most qualified coach to compete with UCLA, USC, etc. He will be dynamic in this area on top of already being an ace recruiter in NJ, DMV area, FL, TX and CA. Mason won’t be able to do that.

Couple of thoughts:

1) His agent is doing a great job. I think he is probably leveraging this into a nice little extension. Look at what everyone did with Tennesee last year.

2) Colorado can do better than Mason. He’s not a bad coach and he’s a decent recruiter, but he was left a good foundation from Franklin and you’ve seen how they have continued to take steps back.

3) Colorado is now the best available job on the market. They should be able to lure a pretty solid name, especially when you considering UNC’s hire. This is a job for a national coach who can win at home and be competitive nationally for highly ranked recruits. With these facilities, administration and fan base, you can win here!

- I know I will become the “pump the Schiano” guy, but he’s the most qualified coach to compete with UCLA, USC, etc. He will be dynamic in this area on top of already being an ace recruiter in NJ, DMV area, FL, TX and CA. Mason won’t be able to do that.

You had me until Schiano.

Couple of thoughts:

Have you met a poster on here named Sinkratz yet?

Couple of thoughts:

Juuuuust a bit over the top.

Just offering my thoughts on a potential Mason hire and compared them to the coach I think it’s the best fit for our Program. Nothing wrong with that. Feel free to disagree and say why, but no need for stupid insults.

Just offering my thoughts on a potential Mason hire and compared them to the coach I think it’s the best fit for our Program. Nothing wrong with that. Feel free to disagree and say why, but no need for stupid insults.

Oh come on, my post was hardly an insult. You are advocating for Schiano like you are his agent or something.

I am not convinced he would just waltz into California and own recruiting.

Oh come on, my post was hardly an insult. You are advocating for Schiano like you are his agent or something.

I am not convinced he would just waltz into California and own recruiting.

I went to RU so I know his history and my father went to OSU, so I’ve happened to have followed his career and have heard him speak at a few coaches conferences. Look at his history at RU and OSU as a recruiter. Don’t forget he was also the recruiting coordinator at The U when he was the DC and recruited most of the championship team.
http://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/02/ohio_states_greg_schiano_ranke.html

I went to RU so I know his history and my father went to OSU, so I’ve happened to have followed his career and have heard him speak at a few coaches conferences. Look at his history at RU and OSU as a recruiter. Don’t forget he was also the recruiting coordinator at The U when he was the DC and recruited most of the championship team.
http://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/02/ohio_states_greg_schiano_ranke.html

And none of that explains how he will do in California. As HC at CU, he is not going to be recruiting much in his traditional strongholds.

The NC at Miami is mostly irrelevant to 2018.

Is it safe to conclude that Mason is at least a finalist? Sure seems like a lot of smoke on this one.

And none of that explains how he will do in California. As HC at CU, he is not going to be recruiting much in his traditional strongholds.

The NC at Miami is mostly irrelevant to 2018.
He’s gone into CA at OSU and landed recruits. Look at his history and you’ll see that. Agreed those aren’t strongholds, but he proved at Miami and Rutgers he can create those strongholds. I’d feel even better if he had some coaches with exposure to that region and I’m sure any coach that they hire will. But I do think the national profile can be raised with national recruiter.

Duff is full of stupid insults. This was not one of them. Not even close.

2014Vanderbilt3–90–87th (Eastern)
2015Vanderbilt4–82–6T–4th (Eastern)
2016Vanderbilt6–73–5T–5th (Eastern)L Independence
2017Vanderbilt5–71–76th (Eastern)
2018Vanderbilt6–63–56th (Eastern)
Vanderbilt:24–379–31
Total:24–37
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

2013Colorado4–81–86th (South)
2014Colorado2–100–96th (South)
2015Colorado4–91–86th (South)
2016Colorado10–48–11st (South)L Alamo1517
2017Colorado5–72–76th (South)
2018Colorado5–62–6(South)
Colorado:30–4414–39
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I think it's Mac part 2 with a lower ceiling. Can we get Mac back? Mac with new coordinators excites me more than this guy

Back