What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Direct TV wins

ESPN/FOX are the one's scheduling the big games at 7 pacific. Can't blame them, they are paying good money for the rights and need content to fill those slots. Time Zones are a bitch and don't work in our favor.

I agree. And Stanford or Oregon v X isn't going to get on TV over a Big, ACC, or SEC game around the same time slot anyways. And all those conferences have night games too. So, unless its on P12 net you will not get to see it. Thanks for playing.

There is also the fact, recently experienced by myself, that 8pm tipoffs start at 10pm east and by half time everyone was in bed. Thus a 3 1/2 hour football game is hard to sit thru past midnight (mnf also had this problem for awhile too).

The PAC has to be more forceful that their more important games are played in daylight hours out west and not at night if they want east coast viewers.

Or, you know, the PAC can schedule the games for their fans to watch, and not ACC/SEC fans on the east coast.

If they schedule FB games during the day, the excuse will be that east coast fans are watching their local teams playing at the same time rather than the PAC. If they schedule BB games at 6 PM local during the week to make the east coast happy, I guess they can just tell their fans to leave work early to get to the game so that east coasters can get to bed on time.

There were plenty of PAC games on the ABC/ESPN mirror at 330pm est this season. Many more on Fox at 4pm est or FS1 at 430 est. Many more at 8pm est.

But b/c of geography, the PAC will always have an exclusive window at 10pm est. Sucks for East coast viewers and its why West coasters are constantly complaining about the East coast bias. Is what it is, not going to change.

There were plenty of PAC games on the ABC/ESPN mirror at 330pm est this season. Many more on Fox at 4pm est or FS1 at 430 est. Many more at 8pm est.

But b/c of geography, the PAC will always have an exclusive window at 10pm est. Sucks for East coast viewers and its why West coasters are constantly complaining about the East coast bias. Is what it is, not going to change.

Do you live on the east coast? I don't so I don't really know other than my recent visit to Miami. At which point the regular season was over.

PAC 12 teams have to keep winning the big games to get the respect they want. Nothing demands respect like beating the top teams.

Do you live on the east coast? I don't so I don't really know other than my recent visit to Miami. At which point the regular season was over.

Not following your question. What would me living on the east coast have to do with which games aired on which networks?

As someone who lives on the east coast, I didn't miss watching a Buffs football game all year. As for B-ball, if the start is 10pm or later I DVR the game and watch the game over breakfast the next day. Not a big deal, Buff fans in Cali shouldn't have to watch the tip-off at 3pm on Wednesday just so I can get a good nights sleep.

You'd think that as the importance of print media continues to decline that the east coast bias diminishes. Making a newspaper deadline with a box score and AP story for the morning delivery isn't how most people find out about an out-of-market game these days. Growing up in NJ, the west coast games were often printed without a final and I wouldn't find out the score until later, maybe not until Monday if it wasn't a game with a Top 25 team that generated mention on the nightly news. I didn't even have cable until I was in my mid-teens.

You'd think that as the importance of print media continues to decline that the east coast bias diminishes. Making a newspaper deadline with a box score and AP story for the morning delivery isn't how most people find out about an out-of-market game these days. Growing up in NJ, the west coast games were often printed without a final and I wouldn't find out the score until later, maybe not until Monday if it wasn't a game with a Top 25 team that generated mention on the nightly news. I didn't even have cable until I was in my mid-teens.

This. As a kid the PAC 10 was rarely on TV in Miami. The SEC, Big 8 (Orange Bowl tie in), or Big 10 (masses of alums in Florida) tended to trump other conferences until ESPN came along and put extra games on TV. Back then Miami, FSU, and Penn State were independents with Notre Dame. All 4 were on TV a lot too. It wasn't until the Rose Bowl game came on or Notre Dame v USC that you'd see a PaC team for sure.

DirecTV and Dish announcing an increase in rates. I haven't heard the details.

As someone who lives on the east coast, I didn't miss watching a Buffs football game all year. As for B-ball, if the start is 10pm or later I DVR the game and watch the game over breakfast the next day. Not a big deal, Buff fans in Cali shouldn't have to watch the tip-off at 3pm on Wednesday just so I can get a good nights sleep.
It's not just about being able to watch your team. I also don't miss Buff games because of the time zone. The point is not that dedicated fans can't watch their teams play because of time zone.

The point is that average east coast college fans can't/won't watch even marquee P12 matchups because of time zone, so they have no idea how good or talented the P12 teams are (or aren't - this has actually been a bonus in regards to CU football the past decade or so). Maryland fans aren't going to DVR the January 23rd Arizona/Colorado matchup to watch it over breakfast even if neither team loses until that first meeting in Tucson, just like Florida fans didn't stay up to watch the Stanford/Oregon football game this year. But both would probably tune in to those games if they were played earlier in the day or evening.

It's that casual viewership that the P12 needs, both for TV carriage/revenue purposes and for reputation purposes (rankings, bowl games, tournament selection, heisman candidates, recruiting, etc all would benefit from increasing casual viewership), and the time zone/scheduling issue just kills casual viewership.

I watch all the games live, I'm crazy I know. I can't do sports on DVR.

What would happens if the often rumored Directv buyout of Dish were to occur ?

I have never heard of a DTV buyout of Dish, it has always been the other way with Dish buying DTV. Dish is currently in a better financial position, despite being the smaller of the two.

I have never heard of a DTV buyout of Dish, it has always been the other way with Dish buying DTV. Dish is currently in a better financial position, despite being the smaller of the two.

The wording used was merger, so its quite possible Aero that you are correct. The article said it was more likely to be approved this time around and quoted the Dish CEO

If the dish people run the place I might have to switch..but maybe not. As long as it means I can get the Pac 12 N I would be happy.

Back