What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Direct TV wins

What is most interesting is the comments about the existing deals and saying they don't matter. The continual chatter has been you can't go back on your word to them. When the fact is and has been those deals don't matter. As I have continually said, buy 10 of said item the price is one number, buy 1000 of said item and it's a different number.

that's not entirely accurate. a lot of carriage deals have MFN provisions that are designed to protect the content providers in circumstances like this. ala carting would, i speculate, trigger some of the MFNs in some of the existing deals, not to mention piss off the studios in a big way. bundling is the whole game, for everyone involved.

how come when I watched the Utah game at my parents house it was not in HD ?

The main Pac 12 channel is in SD but all the live games are in HD. 406-01 is the main SD channel for the Pac. If you would have gone up one channel from there you would have been viewing the game in HD. In the program guide it shows which one is HD.

The only games on Dish that are not in HD are the one's on ESPNU. Dish and ESPN are still in a pissing match on that front.

Last edited:
Isn't that your local provider's choice in what it offers? Comcast in CO has the full PAC12 complement in HD.
It is. So when Comcast here in H-Town opted not to carry P12N here, I bolted for Dish and never looked back. Best.Decision.Ever.

Guarantee everyone will carry the $EC network this Fall. All the rates will go up soon after as well.

down here in naples fl.. comcast provides the big ten network in hdtv nestled right near espn on the channel lineup... pac 12 network?? in the 700's in std def only!!... scott better get his ass in gear!

I lived in Naples years ago,remember having to break in to my girlfriends apartment (she was at work and gave me permission to B&E) to watch the Buffs on espn 2 cause Time Warner didn't give me the deuce on the southside of town(Bryn Mawr),she lived up in Quail Run...good times

Bottom line in this is until it's at minimum an option on every major provider the PAC will be viewed as a stepchild, especially when the SEC will be available to everyone, and I don't think there is even a question about that. You can say second class to "directv" but it's a very narrow minded view. Again Scott needs viewers a lot more of them, with them comes revenue and national respect. 6-3 in bowl games and a large portion of viewers that weekly watch CFB were getting their first look at some of those teams. Its sounds as though Scott has come to understand what nationally many have said, the PAC needs to be seen. To get it he needs to play "let's make deal" not just with Directv, but the others a well

food for thought, More households have or have available to them the LHN, then the PAC Network

Last edited:
How do you figure that, the latest information I could find has roughly 4-5.5 million households for LHN and ~26 million for PAC12Net.

The information on the LHN was flawed, it was counting a deal with Dish that is still being discussed, Lets hope it continues to be incorrect, that would be a travesty if it comes to fruition

Bottom line in this is until it's at minimum an option on every major provider the PAC will be viewed as a stepchild, especially when the SEC will be available to everyone, and I don't think there is even a question about that. You can say second class to "directv" but it's a very narrow minded view. Again Scott needs viewers a lot more of them, with them comes revenue and national respect. 6-3 in bowl games and a large portion of viewers that weekly watch CFB were getting their first look at some of those teams. Its sounds as though Scott has come to understand what nationally many have said, the PAC needs to be seen. To get it he needs to play "let's make deal" not just with Directv, but the others a well

food for thought, More households have or have available to them the LHN, then the PAC Network

That's the big part that stands out with the network not being on DTV. Much of the lack of respect (only major conference with 1 BCS bid, Carey 10th in the Heisman voting) comes from not being seen by much of the country.

Carey’s problem this season: Exposure. With all the night games and all the Pac-12 Networks appearances (i.e., not on DTV), not enough voters saw enough of Carey.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/colleg...-another-holiday-meltdown-nfl-moves-and-more/

That's the big part that stands out with the network not being on DTV. Much of the lack of respect (only major conference with 1 BCS bid, Carey 10th in the Heisman voting) comes from not being seen by much of the country.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/colleg...-another-holiday-meltdown-nfl-moves-and-more/

That's hardly new with the Pac-12 Network. The Pac-12 has always had that problem because of candyasses on the east coast who don't want to watch anything that isn't on in prime time on the east coast. Get the Pac-12 Network on DTV and that problem doesn't go away.

Directv will budge and carry the Pac 12 network at the required terms. What other major providers are not carrying the Pac 12? Fans need to take the side of the Pac 12 on this one not their cable providers. The bigger the deal, the more revenue for CU. Directv is stretched out because of the Sunday ticket and MLB extra Innings.

Last edited:
That's hardly new with the Pac-12 Network. The Pac-12 has always had that problem because of candyasses on the east coast who don't want to watch anything that isn't on in prime time on the east coast. Get the Pac-12 Network on DTV and that problem doesn't go away.

But these are 2 different things - one is starting games late in the Central/Eastern timezones, the other is getting the P12 Network games on DTV. The latter is what I was referring to in reference to this thread and Wilner essentially said the same thing.

And if wanting to get to bed before midnight makes us in the Eastern timezone candyasses, then so be it. But even one of the most respected posters on here said the same thing about playing games so late:

http://www.allbuffs.com/showthread....-15-PAC-12-teams-being-played-at-10-30-pm-EDT

But these are 2 different things - one is starting games late in the Central/Eastern timezones, the other is getting the P12 Network games on DTV. The latter is what I was referring to in reference to this thread and Wilner essentially said the same thing.

And if wanting to get to bed before midnight makes us in the Eastern timezone candyasses, then so be it. But even one of the most respected posters on here said the same thing about playing games so late:

http://www.allbuffs.com/showthread....-15-PAC-12-teams-being-played-at-10-30-pm-EDT

CVille was messing with you. That guy has never slept in his life. One time he closed his eyes but that was only because a fat chick bent over in front of him.

Directv will budge and carry the Pac 12 network at the required terms. What other major providers are not carrying the Pac 12? Fans need to take the side of the Pac 12 on this one not their cable providers. The bigger the deal, the more revenue for CU. Directv is stretched out because of the Sunday ticket and MLB extra Innings.

Dude everyone has MLB extra innings. The only exclusive package is the Sunday NFL Ticket which Direct TV carries.

The thing that is going to force Scott's hand is the $EC network, they will have 100% coverage within 1 year provider wise. Then perception will be even stronger then that the PAC 12 is just that nice little second class conference in the west. To many people don't even have the option to stay up and watch a game if they want to. I read a post saying we need to support the PAC on this, in my opinion that's what those of us that want a deal made with all the providers are doing.

Dude everyone has MLB extra innings. The only exclusive package is the Sunday NFL Ticket which Direct TV carries.

MLB extra innings is not on DISH. I tried adding it last year for my Athletics, not available.

East of the Rockies, Pac-12 Networks is available in many areas on Bright House, Cable America, CC Communications, Comcast Cable, Cox, Dickey Rural Services, Dish, FiOS by Frontier, Northland, and Time Warner Cable. West of the Rockies, Pac-12 Networks is available outside the conference footprint on Cable Systems of Nevada, Comcast Cable, Cox, CommVision, Dish, GCI, Hawaiian Telcom, KPUCenturyLink,Suddenlink, Northland, TCT West and Time Warner Cable.

All of the major cable providfers carrye the Pac 12 network except for Directv. Directv is just been cheap. Larry Scott must not give in.

Last edited:
CVille was messing with you. That guy has never slept in his life. One time he closed his eyes but that was only because a fat chick bent over in front of him.

I was actually referring to Duff's post.

And we don't know for sure that CVille closed his eyes when the fat chick bent over.

But the argument that the Pac-12 doesn't get respect nationally because people on the east coast don't see games predates the Pac-12N by a couple decades, at least. Sure, getting the network on DTV would help. But it isn't going to make people on the east coach watch. And Pac-12 schools aren't going to give up hosting home games at night sometimes just to increase TV exposure on the east coast. Not if their fans want games at night (and in basketball, there isn't much choice for weeknight games). At some point, the lack of exposure on the east coast also boils down to the fact that people on the east coast have to choose to watch Pac-12 games when they're played.

I really think the timing hurts east coast exposure much more than P12 Network carriage issues. I, and pretty much everyone I work with, has to leave the house before or near 6:30 am if we don't want to spend 1.5+ hours commuting. If a game doesn't kick off until 8:30 or 9:00 pm local, and you're older than 30, that's just not going to happen on a consistent basis.

I will stay up if the Buffs are playing, but it doesn't matter how much I want to watch the Stanford/USC or Oregon/Washington matchups, it's just not happening. And I'm a P12 fan - how do you think the casual college football fan and/or B1G/ACC/SEC fan feels? No way in hell they're staying up to watch games that have zero impact on their team - regardless of how intriguing the matchup may be.

MLB extra innings is not on DISH. I tried adding it last year for my Athletics, not available.

East of the Rockies, Pac-12 Networks is available in many areas on Bright House, Cable America, CC Communications, Comcast Cable, Cox, Dickey Rural Services, Dish, FiOS by Frontier, Northland, and Time Warner Cable. West of the Rockies, Pac-12 Networks is available outside the conference footprint on Cable Systems of Nevada, Comcast Cable, Cox, CommVision, Dish, GCI, Hawaiian Telcom, KPUCenturyLink,Suddenlink, Northland, TCT West and Time Warner Cable.

All of the major cable the Pac 12 network except for Directv. Directv is just been cheap. Larry Scott must not give in.
According to many media watchdog sites the larger carriers are footprint only, or by choice. So if true coverage is not as widespread as portrayed.

There is also the fact, recently experienced by myself, that 8pm tipoffs start at 10pm east and by half time everyone was in bed. Thus a 3 1/2 hour football game is hard to sit thru past midnight (mnf also had this problem for awhile too).

The PAC has to be more forceful that their more important games are played in daylight hours out west and not at night if they want east coast viewers.

Last edited:
There is also the fact, recently experienced by myself, that 8pm tipoffs start at 10pm east and by half time everyone was in bed. Thus a 3 1/2 hour football game is hard to sit thru past midnight (mnf also had this problem for awhile too).

The PAC has to be more forceful that their more important games are played in daylight hours out west and not at night if they want east coast viewers.

And if the PAC insists on playing important games at 7:00 pacific, then replay the game on Sunday to allow East coast
viewers to watch the rest of the game if it was decided to go to bed at halftime

And if the PAC insists on playing important games at 7:00 pacific

ESPN/FOX are the one's scheduling the big games at 7 pacific. Can't blame them, they are paying good money for the rights and need content to fill those slots. Time Zones are a bitch and don't work in our favor.

Back