What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Do Mullen (and others) recruit?

yeah well we recruited.

Maybe your high-school was different, but most recruit when they dominate at that level. and if you had kids coming from far and wide that did quite "fit" with the rest of the school but were great athletes you recruited too, regardless of what you think.
Nope all local kids we played together or against since middle school, a few came from all over but they didnt play sports, they were truly there for the education.

In Jersey where I grew up it was basketball that schools recruited for much more than football. Some of those NJ parochial league teams would make the NCAA tournament if they were allowed to play in college leagues.

In Jersey where I grew up it was basketball that schools recruited for much more than football. Some of those NJ parochial league teams would make the NCAA tournament if they were allowed to play in college leagues.
Our rival team in OC had players living with the fricken basketball coach! They have been top in the state for years!

The sports with lesser fanfare really show the disparities due to recruiting. I remember watching Mullen at state track some years and they had athletes winning/scoring in every single damn event. On really good high school teams, you generally have one or two elite athletes along with 1-2 areas (sprints, jumps, distance, throwers, etc.) that are really good. But they had elite people everywhere. It was comical.

The sports with lesser fanfare really show the disparities due to recruiting. I remember watching Mullen at state track some years and they had athletes winning/scoring in every single damn event. On really good high school teams, you generally have one or two elite athletes along with 1-2 areas (sprints, jumps, distance, throwers, etc.) that are really good. But they had elite people everywhere. It was comical.
I dont follow track. Did they recruit for track/field or did they just train football players how to do track and field?

My HS got busted for recruiting this year I believe, and family moved so I could go to GJHS after they changed the boundary lines.

The trouble they got into this year was for letting incoming kids from MS work out before they were allowed to, or something like that. It wasn't really a recruiting issue as far as I know.

And maybe your family just wanted to get out of Clifton.... :smile2:

I personally know they recruit, My 8th grade football team went undefeated. Some of the other players on the team and I received letters from Mullen saying something along the lines of "if you want to continue being a champion, come to Mullen" with a list of their accolades and championships and also an invitation to come take a tour of their school including the athletic facilities.
How many of your team went to Mullen?

Nope all local kids we played together or against since middle school, a few came from all over but they didnt play sports, they were truly there for the education.

So basically your HS situation was nothing like Mullen, so your entire premise regarding Mullen is based on exactly nothing.

So basically your HS situation was nothing like Mullen, so your entire premise regarding Mullen is based on exactly nothing.
I guess it wasn't. Thank you captain obvious. After reading all the responses, I couldn't figure that out! You are so smart! thank god you are are here for us! I figured everybody was just upset Mullen has kicked your asses for the last 3 years.
I figured it would start a good discussion!

I dont follow track. Did they recruit for track/field or did they just train football players how to do track and field?

You cannot just train football players to be state championship caliber track people. There is some crossover, but not much at the elite level

You cannot just train football players to be state championship caliber track people. There is some crossover, but not much at the elite level
I see your point. How many Mullen athletes got track scholarships? So they recruit for every sport?

I guess it wasn't. Thank you captain obvious. After reading all the responses, I couldn't figure that out! You are so smart! thank god you are are here for us! I figured everybody was just upset Mullen has kicked your asses for the last 3 years.
I figured it would start a good discussion!

yada yada yada.... hahaha, actually, it restarted a discussion that's been held many times before, so thanks, again, for nothing

(kicked my ass? i didn't grow up in Denver...wrong again!)

Isn't that the point of private schools? Unenforced academic standards, no teacher certifications, and the ability to grant admission to people that serves the schools purpose?

Did he go? Was he an impact player?

Sorry to get back to you so late. He actually ended up at a private school in Texas. This was pre-Logan and I don't believe Mullen was the best at that time. I never heard from him again after he left for Texas. But the kid was 6-1 220 with a 4.7 40 as a freshmen. I always wondered how good we would have been if he stuck around.

You personally know someone who was recuited there?

More than 10.

This is why I brought it up. My HS was always accused of recruiting, because we kick the **** out of everybody. We got players because we won, and winners wanted to come there. We didn't recruit, I believe everybody said we recruited to make themselves feel better after we beat them.

Doubt it.

Every school recruits, though. The private schools just have the ability to throw in some perks to the recruitment. The recruiting at public schools, in my experience, is pretty basic: "Come play over here, you will play more and we are better and I won't hold you back like your current coach. There are some nice cheap apartments nearby that your parents can live in for one year until you graduate."

Is that based on school size? Or competition level?

Mullens enrollement is on the line between 3A and 4A. They play up in football and some other sports.

Way back in the dark ages when I was coming into HS my dad and I got "the visit" from a priest associated with Mullen. We got a lot more attention from Regis which was located much closer to us at that time. My brother who was six years older got even more attention for his wrestling skills.

Later when I was teaching/coaching in a HS in the north suburbs of Denver we had kids contacted by both the parochial schools and by individuals associated with public schools, primarily for basketball players. These were mostly parents/boosters not coaches although a lot of the contact was made through AAU connections. We had one of our kids approached with an offer of having an apartment paid for in the attendance area of another school which he would share with another kid from out of the attendance area. His parents not surprisingly turned the idea down cold but it sas there.

As long as HS events have a scoreboard running there will be people who will try to gain an advantage for their schools. I wish there were a way to better control it since it is not fair to the schools that don't do it as well as not being fair to the kids at the schools that do who are pushed out of the limelight in favor of the kids who are brought in.

As to the private schools, they have to recruit by nature to maintian their student enrollments. Their argument would be that winning sports teams not only "reflect their striving for excellence" in their words but also the publicity of successful athletics is a part of keeping their name in front of the public.

How often do we have this conversation???? Say the word Mullen and/or Dave Logan and a **** storm always abrews....jealousy :lol:

Mullen recruits for lacrosse as well, but so do a lot of schools public or private in all sports. I know quite a few kids from Wheat Ridge who were recruited to transfer to Green Mountain for basketball.

Mullen recruits for lacrosse as well, but so do a lot of schools public or private in all sports. I know quite a few kids from Wheat Ridge who were recruited to transfer to Green Mountain for basketball.

This thread is about top-notch programs with top-notch players. Leave The Farm and GM out of this.

The problem with this conversation is that much of private-school recruiting falls into a gray area. The head coach isn't calling up kids directly and finding out what it will take to get them to transfer or mailing them checks, renting them apartments. He doesn't have to. Much of this happens at the parent/booster level, and the top kids are easily identified and contacted through other activities including off-season leagues and competitive club sports.

Around middle school, sometimes earlier, parents who know their kids are going to ... whatever private school ... call it School A... start chatting up the parents of kids they want to play with their kids, and ascertaining where they might be going. They talk up School A, and talk about financial aid, the great education, etc. They will mention how they know someone who lives in the neighborhood who would be glad to carpool, or just give their kid a ride every day. All rather innocent, but they aren't having the same conversation with Joe Average kid who isn't athletic or a great student.

It's all very murky, but yes, I personally know kids (and/or their parents) in several sports who were contacted this way, and it was pretty much laid out that need-based scholarships were available if they really wanted to go to school A, and that the parents were just SO supportive of all kids at school A, they would help with transportation, uniforms, incidental costs, etc. And this is not just Mullen, it's also Kent, Machebeuf, Regis. I don't know anyone contacted by Valor, but that's probably because it's so new.

Since some of the private schools do excel in certain sports, if your son or daughter wants to be part of a winning tradition, people listen to the pitch. It comes slowly and steadily from people who already know each other through sports, and summer leagues, and church, and top athletes get encouraged to consider School A, B or C by parents and boosters who want to see the school win. They are competitive and want the best kids on their teams.

It's very hard to pinpoint when it crosses the line into recruiting. You can bet there is "recruiting" in the public schools - where there is open enrollment and the student has a choice - if you were in Denver Public Schools and a top basketball player, you'd do everything in your power to enroll at East and play for Rudy Carey. And the top basketball players, who you already know from the Crown or Jam league, and years of YMCA ball, know who you are, and say "we can't wait for you to play with us, we're going to win state this year ..."

If you play hockey, you look at those schools with strong hockey teams ... (that's who was "ahem" recruiting hockey players I knew, or at least letting them know how easy it would be to attend there...) If you play football, and a school that has been in the state championship is interested, you give it a look. Soccer players, tennis players, golf ... the best are all identified by 8th or 9th grade, and high school boosters are in contact, making sure athletes know what their options are.

It's recruiting, but rarely as blatant as people expect. It grows slowly through the relationships already established.

The problem with this conversation is that much of private-school recruiting falls into a gray area. The head coach isn't calling up kids directly and finding out what it will take to get them to transfer or mailing them checks, renting them apartments. He doesn't have to. Much of this happens at the parent/booster level, and the top kids are easily identified and contacted through other activities including off-season leagues and competitive club sports.

Around middle school, sometimes earlier, parents who know their kids are going to ... whatever private school ... call it School A... start chatting up the parents of kids they want to play with their kids, and ascertaining where they might be going. They talk up School A, and talk about financial aid, the great education, etc. They will mention how they know someone who lives in the neighborhood who would be glad to carpool, or just give their kid a ride every day. All rather innocent, but they aren't having the same conversation with Joe Average kid who isn't athletic or a great student.

It's all very murky, but yes, I personally know kids (and/or their parents) in several sports who were contacted this way, and it was pretty much laid out that need-based scholarships were available if they really wanted to go to school A, and that the parents were just SO supportive of all kids at school A, they would help with transportation, uniforms, incidental costs, etc. And this is not just Mullen, it's also Kent, Machebeuf, Regis. I don't know anyone contacted by Valor, but that's probably because it's so new.

Since some of the private schools do excel in certain sports, if your son or daughter wants to be part of a winning tradition, people listen to the pitch. It comes slowly and steadily from people who already know each other through sports, and summer leagues, and church, and top athletes get encouraged to consider School A, B or C by parents and boosters who want to see the school win. They are competitive and want the best kids on their teams.

It's very hard to pinpoint when it crosses the line into recruiting. You can bet there is "recruiting" in the public schools - where there is open enrollment and the student has a choice - if you were in Denver Public Schools and a top basketball player, you'd do everything in your power to enroll at East and play for Rudy Carey. And the top basketball players, who you already know from the Crown or Jam league, and years of YMCA ball, know who you are, and say "we can't wait for you to play with us, we're going to win state this year ..."

If you play hockey, you look at those schools with strong hockey teams ... (that's who was "ahem" recruiting hockey players I knew, or at least letting them know how easy it would be to attend there...) If you play football, and a school that has been in the state championship is interested, you give it a look. Soccer players, tennis players, golf ... the best are all identified by 8th or 9th grade, and high school boosters are in contact, making sure athletes know what their options are.

It's recruiting, but rarely as blatant as people expect. It grows slowly through the relationships already established.

Thanks Al,
Great explaination! IMO, I was not sure how much contact from the schools really went on. I figured if you had a son that was an excellent football player you would want him in Mullen, or in basketball send him to East. I though these schools didnt need to recruit much because parents want their kids to play for winners, and the parents would seek out the best school, that fits your child. Thank you again fo rthe imput. I guess I look at it differently, I want my kids to go to the best school, that gives them the chance to win and get an education.

You forgot to mention the free checking.

I dont believe private schools should participate in public leagues.

Last edited:
I dont know anything about Mullen really, other than they churn out talent every year. That said, Id say they recruit no doubt. I know public schools in Texas that recruit or did at one time. It went as far as changing district lines or manipulating them. Mullen probably recruits more than Juicebox did lol.

It's not supposed to happen in the public schools, but it's accepted at the private schools as a quirk in the system. It sucks for the public schools, but there isn't really anything they can do about it. Denying it happens is absurd, though. Everybody knows it happens.
Privateschool recruiting is acceptable, scholarships for athletics are against the rules. Of course, there are ways to "earn" financial aid.

Back