What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Do we upset a big dog this year?

Do we upset a big dog?

• Total voters
i think we'll have enough on O to put some quick points on someone at home. whether we can hold on to a lead is a diff story. However, i'd take the straight up home W's against Cal, Wazzou, and U of A rather than one "big upset". while Cal and U of A are likely underdog situ for the Buffs (even at home), those 3 are must wins if bowl eligible is going to be in the balance. can't wet the bed in Folsom like we did against Tech and BU last year. Too bad Cabral didn't coach those games.

Agree. Those three games are all critical when you look at bowl eligibility. You and I are the same page as far as the offense needing to score a lot of points this year, we are going to get into some track meets. Here is to hoping we have a kicker that we can count on in crunch time as well because I look at a lot of the games on the schedule as toss-ups that will likely be decided by single digits.

Agree. Those three games are all critical when you look at bowl eligibility. You and I are the same page as far as the offense needing to score a lot of points this year, we are going to get into some track meets. Here is to hoping we have a kicker that we can count on in crunch time as well because I look at a lot of the games on the schedule as toss-ups that will likely be decided by single digits.

special teams are big in a track meet, too. be nice to make that an advantage with a blocked punt that turns a close game into a 2 score lead or a KO return for 6 after the other teams scores.....instead of just being happy as a fan we didn't screw up. playing field position would be nice instead of the absurd Hawkins approach to defying conventional wisdom in that regard. Hawk had a couple nice ones, OU on 4th....but he gives the other team a short field so many times, gasses the D so they are spent in the 4th Q. our execution was always an issue so i don't the coaches trusted the players "to make a play" and instead tried to "outsmart" the other guys with the playcall....and the "other guys" were not mostly fooled...so when that broke down...Cody got sacked out of FG range. or we jumped offsides because the opposing DC had the right blitz package or overloaded in the way we had no chance.

at minimum, be disciplined on special teams and play not all but some of your best players there....not FR running backs and such.

for all the debate about Barnett, Barney was great at field position football. he loved to punt it to you if he didn't get what he wanted on his possession. that's great football....and while you need to play some D for that work (and we really haven't in a while).....Barney was pretty good at it with Okruch's 90th in the nation D. there is some other factor there....that Barney had and Hawk simply did not.

Last edited:
Exactly. Field position needs to be valued. Three most glaring examples I can think of under Hawkins:

1. Georgia in 2006. Late in the game and up by six, kicking out of our end zone, you should take the safety. You automatically gain about 25 yards of field position on the free kick. Of course, we all know what actually happened. Decent punt gets returned to inside our territory and Georgia goes about 45 yards for the winning TD.

2. K-State in 2007. They jump on us early and we are playing catch up from then on, but we manage to claw our way back within a score throughout the second quarter. Late in the quarter, we are on K-State's side of the field with very little time remaining (probably less than a minute). We are not quite in field goal range, so Hawkins decides to go for it on a 4th and medium distance. One incomplete pass later, K-State gets the ball back and they manage to work themselves into FG range and make a long kick to go into halftime with a double digit lead. Momentum swung, game firmly in the hands of the Wildcats.

3. Iowa State in 2007. I think everyone knows this one.

Also finding ways to score unconventionally. No secret that Texas and Va Tech have made a living with this philosophy for years now.

Exactly. Field position needs to be valued. Three most glaring examples I can think of under Hawkins:

1. Georgia in 2006. Late in the game and up by six, kicking out of our end zone, you should take the safety. You automatically gain about 25 yards of field position on the free kick. Of course, we all know what actually happened. Decent punt gets returned to inside our territory and Georgia goes about 45 yards for the winning TD.

2. K-State in 2007. They jump on us early and we are playing catch up from then on, but we manage to claw our way back within a score throughout the second quarter. Late in the quarter, we are on K-State's side of the field with very little time remaining (probably less than a minute). We are not quite in field goal range, so Hawkins decides to go for it on a 4th and medium distance. One incomplete pass later, K-State gets the ball back and they manage to work themselves into FG range and make a long kick to go into halftime with a double digit lead. Momentum swung, game firmly in the hands of the Wildcats.

3. Iowa State in 2007. I think everyone knows this one.

Also finding ways to score unconventionally. No secret that Texas and Va Tech have made a living with this philosophy for years now.

good examples....ISU....they have not driven the ball on your D all day. why not punt? you tell your D. they can't score on you guys, i believe that. get another stop, we'll score again. that play in a sense was the KU game from last year in a nutshell. there are other ways to put the dagger in someone than some hocus pocus slapshot play. you let them hang around when the clock is on your side. and then all of sudden you can't stop them....and then for Dan's guys....you can't even line up and run your plays without screwing up.

for all the debate about Barnett, Barney was great at field position football. he loved to punt it to you if he didn't get what he wanted on his possession. that's great football....

Ahem - did you actually watch the 2001 CCG? Just curious.

Ahem - did you actually watch the 2001 CCG? Just curious.

seriously, that call backfired and it was boneheaded. the exception is not the rule. Simms gave us 21, Applewhite was torching us. it was a decent gamble with crap execution to keep the D off the field.

let's say even i'm wrong, Barney was at least playing in the game....

Upset a big dog? Have you guys not been watching this team? I hope that Embo can resucitate our road mojo, but clearly, our best chance to beat a big dog is at home. That would be USC or Oregon. I'll go with USC (blackout baby!).

Amen. I chose oregon. I just don't see us upsetting anyone on the road this year. i'd like to think i'm wrong, but if you're asking for an objective vote, if we do beat a good team this year, it's going to be at folsom and not on the road...

Amen. I chose oregon. I just don't see us upsetting anyone on the road this year. i'd like to think i'm wrong, but if you're asking for an objective vote, if we do beat a good team this year, it's going to be at folsom and not on the road...

I don't know, I have a sneaking suspicion that Embo and the team is focused on ending this losing on the road crap.

I don't know if I would call Hawaii a huge upset, but it is a brick game.

But do watch out for tOSU. I have gained a lot of confidence in that game over the last couple months.

BCS caught part of my point, which is that the Utes are easily the schnauzer of this group.

That must make the Buffs the shaky, nervous, chihuahua of the new PAC.

[video=youtube;2pGyPbp60Xc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pGyPbp60Xc&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;2pGyPbp60Xc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pGyPbp60Xc&feature=related[/video]

You still don't have a MNC, a Heisman, many national awards, many all-americans and a top 25 in all time wins and winnign %.

Utes have been good, but they don't hold a candle to CU's success. And CU will be back!

You still don't have a MNC, a Heisman, many national awards, many all-americans and a top 25 in all time wins and winnign %.

Utes have been good, but they don't hold a candle to CU's success. And CU will be back!

So.....

The the buffs are a chihuahua with a crystal studded collar?

Seriously though... I don't envy that schedule you guys have this year. Gonna be a long tough fight for ya.

No the Buffs are a hibernating bear where as the Utes are a little kid learning to swim.

I'm actually with creatini here. I know people give him ****, hell they give me **** too, but you know what, we're proud of our history. And CU has one damn fine one, and we should be proud. Ya, we are down now, but that doesn't mean we have to sit back and take ****.

I think the guys that rag on people just to rag and be internet bullies are looking more moronic.

So.....

The the buffs are a chihuahua with a crystal studded collar?

Seriously though... I don't envy that schedule you guys have this year. Gonna be a long tough fight for ya.

I'm not expecting to do much this year, but we will be back soon. We are too proud and have a proud history. I don't mind Utah, I just hate disrespect in all forms. I will treat how I'm treated and my buffs are treated.

Utah has never gone through an intense season like they will this year. I'm really glad we'll be meeting them at the end of it. I imagine we will be in a great flow playing each week (with some experienced young guys having had plenty of playing time) and UU are going to have some guys that can't believe what a real tier one conference takes out of you throughout the season...

Regarding your location:

Pics or GTFO!

And also, good for you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Please continue.

Utah has two BCS wins in the last 6-7 or so years. one of those was a complete ass-waxing of a 1 loss Alabama team that only lost to the national champs....in the SEC's former marquee bowl in a southern city. our last, best hoorah was 10 years ago and we were completely outclassed in the 1 (one) BCS bowl we've been to.

Utah has won BCS bowls under two different coaches....so the "Urban Meyer" myth lacks total explanatory power. in fact, the whipping of Bama on home turf is a lot more impressive than Meyer's win over a crap Pitt team from a crap Big East in a charade of BCS autobid. it's program continuity there....which is how the real measure of football goes. we have not strung together two good or great coaches.....for any duration. closest you get is Rick's two 10 win seasons (i could have coached that Mac talent...) or maybe Mallory (who did win a share of the Big 8 title after Crowder...).

That's fine but until they play a BCS schedule year in and year out and have the same result I stand by my comment.

That's fine but until they play a BCS schedule year in and year out and have the same result I stand by my comment.

such a quitter response. woo, woo, woo....they beat Alabama like a drum in New Orleans. I've been to the Sugar Bowl twice...it's all SEC leg-humping. they've done a lot more than us recently. your "disdain" as a young'un is pretty unconvincing. when we were good you were still wearing diapers at best.....

That's fine but Alabama had just gotten off of playing a SEC schedule where as Utah was playing UNLV, CSU, UNM, etc. I'm not knocking them winning two BCS bowls but I'm going to reserve judgement on how good they are until I see what they can do in a BCS conference where every game is a tough game.

That's fine but Alabama had just gotten off of playing a SEC schedule where as Utah was playing UNLV, CSU, UNM, etc. I'm not knocking them winning two BCS bowls but I'm going to reserve judgement on how good they are until I see what they can do in a BCS conference where every game is a tough game.

best you can do? Alabama had just "gotten off" playing a SEC regular season schedule had them unbeaten....somehow, in your mind, this proves your point?

Dude a SEC schedule (where LSU won the MMC in 2005 if I'm not mistaken) is much tougher than a MWC schedule and I gaurantee you that when you have to get up for 12-13 games instead of 1-2 it takes a toll on you and your team.

Dude a SEC schedule (where LSU won the MMC in 2005 if I'm not mistaken) is much tougher than a MWC schedule and I gaurantee you that when you have to get up for 12-13 games instead of 1-2 it takes a toll on you and your team.

you aren't getting this, are you?

Alabama is in the SEC. Alabama played an SEC schedule.....Alabama got bent over by Utah.

CU has done nothing to compare that to in a decade. talking shizz about Utah learning how to swim makes no sense in light of the present, of the last decade. dig?

Back