What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

early thoughts on the 2008 schedule...

Serious question: About half the posts here seem to think that NU will be easy pickins because they claim the team will have a down year. I'm curious as to why they think this is? We return 85% of the offense that put 50+ on CU and a lot of experience on d with a coach who knows his s**t when it comes to defense. Add to it that the game is in Lincoln and it looks like a toss up to me.

The answer is easy and obvious...Short Bus Watson
(Hope you like bubble screens):lol:

The thing that I am worried about when it comes to the fuskers is what you said in a later post. Bopeep will definitely have the fuskers playing with waaaaaay more passion and intensity than they ever did under Cally and that will make the fuskers dangerous every Saturday.

Yea, that LCFS post was a downer.

I think it is a bit off base to suddenly expect a program that has consistently produced solid seasons to just drop off the map because they hit a rough patch. Only a 6-7 win team?

We are talking about a team, that was demolished in the media, a team whose entire administration was dismantled due to shocking and horrendous accusations against the team, a new coaching staff, no stand-out talent (ie recruits), no QUARTERBACK for a whole season, and a team that only won 2 games a couple of years ago.

That team bounced back, still lacking stand-out talent at most positions, facing a hellacious schedule, still getting used to a new system, and playing very young at many positions (including QB)... and that team bounced back to go 6-7 (including a huge upset and the defeat of 2 arch-rivals) and brought pride back to the program and school.

Now, you are going to tell me that this same team, with one more year under its belt, with the cupboard restocked with talent, is still just a 6-7 win team?

No, this team isn't a 6-7 win team. They face another tough schedule, but they could easily swing a few more upsets and end up 8-9. They also might end up 6-7 wins, but there is no possible way to label this team a perennial 6-7 team (not with the schedule they face)... no, not any longer, not with this coach and these players. This should continue to grow back into a perennial 9+ win team.

We as fans should expect excellence from what we have assembled, not mediocrity.

Second - You are right, we aren't UT, NU, OU, KU, MU, TT, A&M, or OSU.

We are BETTER then those schools. We have a tradition that rivals most of those schools. KU... MU? C'mon BROTHA... KU just popped its cherry this season. OSU? TT? No where close!

WE RUN A FREAKING BUFFALO DOWN THE FIELD BEFORE EVERY GAME!

If you expect mediocrity, then you will get mediocrity. Why do you think we schedule tough teams? You play the best, you beat the best, you become the best.

All teams have ups and downs - we have every reason to believe we are headed up. Have some faith buddy!

Sorry for the ramble

Last edited:
Good post Dionisus. I dont expect CU to come out and win 8 or 9 games. But i also didn't think we had any shot at beating OU or TT, and we did. Next year will be tough, but I really like where this program is heading.

I agree with the thoughts that getting one of the WVU/FSU games will be a big difference between a 6 win season or something better. A win would give the Buffs some mo' going into the Texas game, and I think Texas will be searching a bit for an offensive identity without Charles (and hopefully no DS).

Despite the optimism I have for the stretch most seem to think will be the toughest part of the schedule, the game I'm anxious for is KSU. I don't think I saw anyone in this thread predict a loss in this game, but Prince has given us a couple of beatings. I think Hawk is a pretty good coach and a good recruiter, but the KSU games have given me some reservation. I'm hoping Hawk and staff spend more than a little time this off season figuring out just htf a team that most the conference handles has treated the Buffs like a stepchild.

I think I'm in with 7 wins- CSU, EW, WVU, Texas, OSU, ISU, and knu.

I think you need to check the "expectations" again. If CU wins the national championship, Hawkins will earn, with incentives and everything, almost $1.7 million. As it was this season, Hawkins got ONE of the incentives in his contract - a non-BCS bowl - which entitled him to an extra $50,000. That means for the season that just ended he earned $950,000. (Of course, if he was able to successfully secure the "academic" and "behavior" clauses of his contract, he would have made another $200,000.) Does that sound like the pay a program pays when it expects its coach to win 2/3 of its games?

This definitely isn't Oklahoma, or Nebraska, or Texas or even Texas A&M. This isn't Oklahoma State, or Texas Tech, or even Missouri or Kansas or Kansas State. This is Colorado. And while football is certainly king in Colorado (as opposed to basketball in Kansas) the crown at Colorado is tiny. That is what makes what McCartney did in the early 1990's so incredibly special.

Colorado is not a 10-win program anymore. Maybe it will be, one of these days. But right now, it's a good, tough, 6-win or 7-win team. I suspect it's more likely that in the future, the 10+-win seasons will be the rarity, and the 6+-loss seasons will be the norm.

As a result- I think you are setting yourself up for a huge disappointment if you EXPECT the Buffs to win 8 games with this schedule. With this team, and this schedule, the wins just aren't there.

Colorado has always been a solid program with it's ups and downs just like any other program. Hawk is bringing in recruits similar to what Mac brought in. Just watch, buffs are headed towards great things again. BTW, whens the last time you went to a buff game okie boy?

I think you need to check the "expectations" again. If CU wins the national championship, Hawkins will earn, with incentives and everything, almost $1.7 million. As it was this season, Hawkins got ONE of the incentives in his contract - a non-BCS bowl - which entitled him to an extra $50,000. That means for the season that just ended he earned $950,000. (Of course, if he was able to successfully secure the "academic" and "behavior" clauses of his contract, he would have made another $200,000.) Does that sound like the pay a program pays when it expects its coach to win 2/3 of its games?

This definitely isn't Oklahoma, or Nebraska, or Texas or even Texas A&M. This isn't Oklahoma State, or Texas Tech, or even Missouri or Kansas or Kansas State. This is Colorado. And while football is certainly king in Colorado (as opposed to basketball in Kansas) the crown at Colorado is tiny. That is what makes what McCartney did in the early 1990's so incredibly special.

Colorado is not a 10-win program anymore. Maybe it will be, one of these days. But right now, it's a good, tough, 6-win or 7-win team. I suspect it's more likely that in the future, the 10+-win seasons will be the rarity, and the 6+-loss seasons will be the norm.

As a result- I think you are setting yourself up for a huge disappointment if you EXPECT the Buffs to win 8 games with this schedule. With this team, and this schedule, the wins just aren't there.

Colorado has always been a solid program with it's ups and downs just like any other program. Hawk is bringing in recruits similar to what Mac brought in. Just watch, buffs are headed towards great things again. BTW, whens the last time you went to a buff game okie boy?

Good post Dionisus. I dont expect CU to come out and win 8 or 9 games. But i also didn't think we had any shot at beating OU or TT, and we did. Next year will be tough, but I really like where this program is heading.

I'd say that sums it up very well. :thumbsup:

I expect the Buffs to win every week and I most certainly AM disappointed each time we lose. I'm a Buffs fan, not a prognosticator.

Yea, that LCFS post was a downer.

I think it is a bit off base to suddently expect a program that has consistently produced solid seasons to just drop off the map because they hit a rough patch. Only a 6-7 win team?

A rough patch?
CU hasn't won 10+ games since 2001. Before that, they hadn't won 10+ games since 1996. Two 10+ win seasons in the past decade and you expect that to be the norm? Why? CU hasn't produced "consistently solid" seasons since McCartney was at CU. That doesn't mean that Hawkins can't/won't. But he hasn't yet. He hasn't even had a winning season at Colorado yet.

We are talking about a team, that was demolished in the media, a team whose entire administration was dismantled due to shocking and horrendous accusations against the team, a new coaching staff, no stand-out talent (ie recruits), no QUARTERBACK for a whole season, and a team that only won 2 games a couple of years ago.

That team bounced back, still lacking stand-out talent at most positions, facing a hellacious schedule, still getting used to a new system, and playing very young at many positions (including QB)... and that team bounced back to go 6-7 (including a huge upset and the defeat of 2 arch-rivals) and brought pride back to the program and school.

Now, you are going to tell me that this same team, with one more year under its belt, with the cupboard restocked with talent, is still just a 6-7 win team?

Look at the schedule and show me the wins.

We will be favored against Colorado State, Eastern Washington, Kansas State, Iowa State, and probably Oklahoma State. That's five games where the Buffs will be favored to win.

CU will likely be significant underdogs to West Virginia, Texas and at Missouri. The Buffs will be underdogs on the road at Florida State, on the road at Kansas, on the road at Texas A&M, on the road at Nebraska.

If the Buffs win every game they are favored in that's only five wins. They are going to have to upset someone (like Oklahoma this year) and not BE upset by someone (like Iowa State this year) if they want to reach six wins.

No, this team isn't a 6-7 win team. They face another tough schedule, but they could easily swing a few more upsets and end up 8-9.

With this schedule they might also have a few more losses, and wind up 4-8 when it is all said and done.

In his two years in Boulder, Hawkins is 2-10 against Big 12 north foes. That number will have to dramatically turn around in 2008 if the Buffs are going to win more than 6 games.

They also might end up 6-7 wins, but there is no possible way to label this team a perennial 6-7 team (not with the schedule they face)... no, not any longer, not with this coach and these players. This should continue to grow back into a perennial 9+ win team.

No possible way to label this a perennial 6-7 team?

1997 - 5-6
1998 - 8-4
1999 - 7-5
2000 - 3-8
2001 - 10-3
2002 - 9-5
2003 - 5-7
2004 - 8-5
2005 - 7-6
2006 - 2-10
2007 - 6-7

11 year average = 6 wins, 6 losses.

We as fans should expect excellence from what we have assembled, not mediocrity.

Second - You are right, we aren't UT, NU, OU, KU, MU, TT, A&M, or OSU.

We are BETTER then those schools. We have a tradition that rivals most of those schools.

Do you honestly believe that Colorado has a football program on par with Texas, Nebraska, Oklahoma or Texas A&M? Do you honestly believe Colorado has football traditions on par with those schools?

KU... MU? C'mon BROTHA... KU just popped its cherry this season. OSU? TT? No where close!

WE RUN A FREAKING BUFFALO DOWN THE FIELD BEFORE EVERY GAME!

If you expect mediocrity, then you will get mediocrity. Why do you think we schedule tough teams? You play the best, you beat the best, you become the best.

No, we play those teams to generate revenue. End of story.

All teams have ups and downs - we have every reason to believe we are headed up. Have some faith buddy!

Sorry for the ramble

I have plenty of faith. I'm content with winning seasons and bowl games. Anything more than that is gravy to me.

First off - I never said a perennially 10+ win team. There aren't many teams on that level. I think we are looking at the development of a perennial 8-9 win team, with the potential for more.

Second - A good portion of those down seasons (minus a few years in the late 90s) came during or as the result of the scandal that befell our school. That scandal is behind us. Why did you pick an 11 year span? How about the last 20 years?
1988 - 8-4
1989 - 11-1
1990 - 11-1
1991 - 8-3-1
1992 - 9-2-1
1993 - 8-3-1
1994 - 11-1
1995 - 10-2
1996 - 10-2
1997 - 5-6
1998 - 8-4
1999 - 7-5
2000 - 3-8
2001 - 10-3
2002 - 9-5
2003 - 5-7
2004 - 8-5
2005 - 7-6
2006 - 2-10
2007 - 6-7

156-85-3

Average of 7.8 wins per season... including the period where CU was crushed by scandal.

I don't consider those years to be the 'norm'.

Third - Of course we have a program that is as tradition steeped as UT, A&M, OU, and NU. I admit that some of those schools (NU and OU) have longer histories of success... but does someone need to post the UT v CU stats over the last 25 years? Almost equal (although CU actually holds a 7-5 lead in head to head games over the last 25 years).

Fourth - Who cares what the schedule says? You are trying to match up teams and wins. That is perhaps the least effective way to predict the quality of a team. I would love to see the stats of predictions from previous years, and actual results. I bet you'd be pretty surprised.

Fifth - We play the good teams to become the best. That may mean via revenue, that may mean via visibility for recruits, and that may be because there is no better way to get better then by playing the best. The end the result is the same - You beat better teams, you get better, you become the best.

The answer is easy and obvious...Short Bus Watson
(Hope you like bubble screens):lol:

The thing that I am worried about when it comes to the fuskers is what you said in a later post. Bopeep will definitely have the fuskers playing with waaaaaay more passion and intensity than they ever did under Cally and that will make the fuskers dangerous every Saturday.

:smile2:

Third - Of course we have a program that is as tradition steeped as UT, A&M, OU, and NU. I admit that some of those schools (NU and OU) have longer histories of success... but does someone need to post the UT v CU stats over the last 25 years? Almost equal (although CU actually holds a 7-5 lead in head to head games over the last 25 years).

:lol:

...this is how I see it shaping up:

Nov. 28 — at Nebraska-- W (Buffs will roll!!!)

Ha ha hahaha hehe hehe heh-heh.. har har! LOL!! :lol: *giggle* <---- that's for you, ladyblaise. :smile2:

Score:

---------------- cut and paste here ------------------

Bluffs - 20

Huskers - 38

---------------- cut and paste here ------------------

With fans like the LT. its easy to see why we can't fill up our stadium.
What's your problem buddy, check out our record over the last 12 years. The truth is we are a 6 or 7 win team, and will probably stay that way with our athletic budget. LT. knows what he is talking about, you don't. This ain't Texas, OU, SC, or LSU - it took us forever just to raise enough money for a practice bubble. Wake up !
I go to a few CU games every year, graduated from CU in 1977, and will always cheer for the Buffs and hope for the best. I don't have any problem with CU fans looking at things realistically. If you think CU is going to win 10 games every year, that's your opinion.
I don't think your'e stupid enough to bet money on it.

Last edited:
What's your problem buddy, check out our record over the last 12 years. The truth is we are a 6 or 7 win team, and will probably stay that way with our athletic budget. LT. knows what he is talking about, you don't. This ain't Texas, OU, SC, or LSU - it took us forever just to raise enough money for a practice bubble. Wake up !

Why look at just the last 12 years?? To make your point look better? So we will probably stay a 6 or 7 win team? Why even be a fan if we know we have nothing good to look forward to? That is a terrible attitude. Striving to become better is a good thing, not an overly optimistic thing. Don't be such a negative nancy.

Why look at just the last 12 years?? To make your point look better? So we will probably stay a 6 or 7 win team? Why even be a fan if we know we have nothing good to look forward to? That is a terrible attitude. Striving to become better is a good thing, not an overly optimistic thing. Don't be such a negative nancy.
Your'e right in this - the word fan comes from fanatic which means excessive enthusiasm or unreasoning on any subject. So according to the definition of the word fan - you are expected not to make any sense!:thumbsup:

Your'e right in this - the word fan comes from fanatic which means excessive enthusiasm or unreasoning on any subject. So according to the definition of the word fan - you are expected not to make any sense!:thumbsup:

I really don't understand how anyone is willing to agree with Slade on this one. Look at the LSU Tigers, from 1974 until 2002 they finished the season in the top 25 a mere 9 times. Nine out of 29 years (and only twice in the top 10). In the five seasons since then they've finished in the top 5 four times, and have two national titles.

Look at Virginia Tech and Kansas State, two ugly campuses in ugly parts of the country that had no relevance in football whatsoever until Frank Beamer and Bill Snyder showed up, turning them into perennial top 10 programs during their rather lengthy primes.

Then look at Colorado, a program that has a national title and a Heisman trophy on display, a program that's based out of one of the most gorgeous (if not the single most gorgeous) campuses in the country, and a program that's CURRENTLY stealing recruits from schools with 4 times its athletic budget.

You're looking at a program that's in a massive financial deficit, and one that's sitting at the ass end of the single most overblown smear campaign by the media in the history of college sports, and one that just had its second straight losing season, and yet it just busted through into the black. It made a massive leap forward in terms of its facilities. You honestly believe that we've reached the ceiling here? That even after the scandal is completely obliterated, even after our facilities are upgraded, even after we're operating on two legs against the SEC and big Texas schools for recruits, that we're still going to be a 6 win team, 7 wins in a good year?

Honestly, the notion is completely preposterous. We've got more true upward mobility than any other program in the country. We could be a perennial top 10 program again, and I'm pretty confident that that's exactly what we'll become.

Honestly, the notion is completely preposterous. We've got more true upward mobility than any other program in the country. We could be a perennial top 10 program again, and I'm pretty confident that that's exactly what we'll become.

While I don't agree with Slade, this paragraph is just as ridiculous.

While I don't agree with Slade, this paragraph is just as ridiculous.

We have less than half the facilities of the biggest programs, we're still getting the stink eye from the media and the public, we haven't been a consistently nationally relevant team in well over a decade, and yet we're still winning ballgames that we shouldn't win and throwing haymakers on the recruiting trail.

That's why we have more upward mobility than any other program in the country. We're going toe to toe with the biggest moneypot programs in the country, and we're doing so on one crippled leg. Imagine what this program could do with two feet planted squarely beneath it.

We have less than half the facilities of the biggest programs, we're still getting the stink eye from the media and the public, we haven't been a consistently nationally relevant team in well over a decade, and yet we're still winning ballgames that we shouldn't win and throwing haymakers on the recruiting trail.

That's why we have more upward mobility than any other program in the country. We're going toe to toe with the biggest moneypot programs in the country, and we're doing so on one crippled leg. Imagine what this program could do with two feet planted squarely beneath it.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Seriously, people need to

1) Stop be so short-sighted. I posted our record over the last 25 years which clearly shows we have the ability to be an excellent team

2) Look around at all the schools in NCAA. Teams rise and fall, it is the way of most things in life. The Buffs have been down (actually doing pretty well for a down time) and have set the foundation to head back towards the top. It is time.

3) Look at the teams that you look up to. Compare their last 25 years with our last 25 years... you will probably notice that things have been pretty similar for the most part, and some of those teams that you guys are drooling over haven't done nearly as many things as the Buffs.

Look to your team, take some pride in their history, and expect the best.

I am curious how Coach Hawk's philosophy would mesh with some of the drivel that you guys are posting? When are you going to buy in?

Look at Virginia Tech and Kansas State, two ugly campuses in ugly parts of the country that had no relevance in football whatsoever until Frank Beamer and Bill Snyder showed up, turning them into perennial top 10 programs during their rather lengthy primes.
Snyder did it by scheduling ultimate creme puffs for non-conference. He was the ultimate pastry chef who padded his record by beating the likes of McNeese State and others. They were a completely overrated bogus sham, and he was a turd.:lol:

Snyder did it by scheduling ultimate creme puffs for non-conference. He was the ultimate pastry chef who padded his record by beating the likes of McNeese State and others. They were a completely overrated bogus sham, and he was a turd.:lol

I really don't understand how anyone is willing to agree with Slade on this one. Look at the LSU Tigers, from 1974 until 2002 they finished the season in the top 25 a mere 9 times. Nine out of 29 years (and only twice in the top 10). In the five seasons since then they've finished in the top 5 four times, and have two national titles.

Then look at Colorado, a program that has a national title and a Heisman trophy on display, a program that's based out of one of the most gorgeous (if not the single most gorgeous) campuses in the country, and a program that's CURRENTLY stealing recruits from schools with 4 times its athletic budget.

You're looking at a program that's in a massive financial deficit, and one that's sitting at the ass end of the single most overblown smear campaign by the media in the history of college sports, and one that just had its second straight losing season, and yet it just busted through into the black. It made a massive leap forward in terms of its facilities. You honestly believe that we've reached the ceiling here? That even after the scandal is completely obliterated, even after our facilities are upgraded, even after we're operating on two legs against the SEC and big Texas schools for recruits, that we're still going to be a 6 win team, 7 wins in a good year?

What a massively excellent and sorely needed post.

And 77Buff, you go wat overboard marginalizing K-State's accomplishments. They've had quite a run ... live with it.

very good post!!! rep!!:thumbsup:

Compared to what KSU did before Snyder your'e right. Consider this - take 3 gimme non-con wins a year and times it by however many years Snyder was at KSU something like 14 that's 42 easy wins.
Example - 1996 non-con schedule KSU
Indiana St.
Cincinnati
at Rice

CU 1996 non-con schedule
Washington St.
Colorado St.
at Michigan

You gonna tell me this is the same level of competition?:wow:

Compared to what KSU did before Snyder your'e right. Consider this - take 3 gimme non-con wins a year and times it by however many years Snyder was at KSU something like 14 that's 42 easy wins.
Indiana St.
Cincinnati
at Rice

CU 1996 non-con schedule
Washington St.
Colorado St.
at Michigan

How about conference records? That IS the same level of competition. How did Snyder do there??

Indiana St.
Cincinnati
at Rice

CU 1996 non-con schedule
Washington St.
Colorado St.
at Michigan

looking at it a different way...

if the buffs had not scheduled the h/H with uofm, we would not have played them in 1994 and we would not be enjoying the result of the "miracle in michigan" fourteen years later...and for many years to come...

how many college football fans or media types talk about ksu's historic victories against nationally recognized teams?

playing at least one or two nationally recognized teams in the ooc schedule has been a staple for the colorado program, and it keeps us on the map even in down years...

Back