What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

early thoughts on the 2008 schedule...

Compared to what KSU did before Snyder your'e right. Consider this - take 3 gimme non-con wins a year and times it by however many years Snyder was at KSU something like 14 that's 42 easy wins.
Example - 1996 non-con schedule KSU
Indiana St.
Cincinnati
at Rice

CU 1996 non-con schedule
Washington St.
Colorado St.
at Michigan

You gonna tell me this is the same level of competition?:wow:

Hell, if you are going with that logic then OU, Texass, Numbraska...also have a plethora of gimme wins. So I guess you should tell their weak 9 and 10 win seasons up there a$$e$ as well? (Of course I have no problem with that).

I hope we keep shceduling tougher than hell OOC schedules for my entertainment - watching great football games and giving you and LCFS plenty of fuel to keep me laughing. :thumbsup:

What's your problem buddy, check out our record over the last 12 years. The truth is we are a 6 or 7 win team, and will probably stay that way with our athletic budget. LT. knows what he is talking about, you don't. This ain't Texas, OU, SC, or LSU - it took us forever just to raise enough money for a practice bubble. Wake up !
I go to a few CU games every year, graduated from CU in 1977, and will always cheer for the Buffs and hope for the best. I don't have any problem with CU fans looking at things realistically. If you think CU is going to win 10 games every year, that's your opinion.
I don't think your'e stupid enough to bet money on it.

:lol: I never said CU was going to win 10 games every year. So i don't know where you got that from. If you cheer for the buffs and hope for the best how can you accept being mediocre? Didn't anything coach mac did for this program prove that CU can be and stay competitive?

Last edited:
:lol: I never said CU was going to win 10 games every year. So i don't know where you got that from. If you cheer for the buffs and hope for the best how can you accept being mediocre? Didn't anything coach mac did for this program prove that CU can be and stay competitive?
That's what made Mac's accomplishments so impressive, but it's not realistic to think this program is anything but mediocre at present. We give Hawkins his chance - it's going to take some time.

I think Hawkins uses the schedule we play as a BIG recruiting pitch... Often recruiting articles have players saying, "Yeah and they play WVU, Florida St, Texas, OU, etc..." I like it because it makes the program more attractive until we have the depth of athletes to play Western Michigan, San Jose State, New Mexico State, and North-west Eastern Louisiana Southern Tech A&M...at home.:lol:

That's what made Mac's accomplishments so impressive, but it's not realistic to think this program is anything but mediocre at present. We give Hawkins his chance - it's going to take some time.

You are acting like this is Baylor. True, we aren't in the same league as the Nebraska's, USC, or UT's out there. But we are not scrubs like you guys are acting. We are in the top 25 most winningest programs in CFB. Becoming a top team isn't a reach here at Colorado.

You are acting like this is Baylor. True, we aren't in the same league as the Nebraska's, USC, or UT's out there. But we are not scrubs like you guys are acting. We are in the top 25 most winningest programs in CFB. Becoming a top team isn't a reach here at Colorado.

16th in fact, ahead of programs like Texas A&M, Washington, Va Tech, Arkansas, Florida, California, Wisconsin, Oregon, Arizona State, Miami, UCLA...

That said, we are behind Syracuse... that's a bit surprising. I know they were superb in the days of Jim Brown and Floyd Little, but that was a looooooong time ago.

Where did I say we were scrubs? This fall I drove 2 and a half hours to Manhattan, saw our team get waxed 47-20. The only good thing I saw that day was Hugh Charles. I saw maybe 100 Colorado fans that day - mostly family and friends of the players. How many road games did you make this year?

I saw maybe 100 Colorado fans that day - mostly family and friends of the players. How many road games did you make this year?

So if i cant afford to attend away games makes me less of a fan?:wow: Every time you post you prove my point. :thumbsup:

I'm done responding to your idot posts. It's starting to get childish. Absinthe's sig comes to mind right now.
"Don't argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

So true. So very true.

Last edited:
Where did I say we were scrubs? This fall I drove 2 and a half hours to Manhattan, saw our team get waxed 47-20. The only good thing I saw that day was Hugh Charles. I saw maybe 100 Colorado fans that day - mostly family and friends of the players. How many road games did you make this year?

I sincerely fail to see your point here. What does having fans show up at away games (in hole in the wall locales, no less) have to do with being able to become a top flight program?

You might as well have said "CU will never be a consistent 10 win program, their pants are way too black".

I sincerely fail to see your point here. What does having fans show up at away games (in hole in the wall locales, no less) have to do with being able to become a top flight program?

You might as well have said "CU will never be a consistent 10 win program, their pants are way too black".

I'll throw in my 2 cents. It's demoralizing to the home team and gives motivation to the away team when they travel well. In CFB momentum swings play a huge role in the game. Sure, it can't overcome large gaps in talent, but I remember a game versus KSU a few years back. The stadium wasn't that full and they brought a lot of travelers. It took away so much from the Folsom/home-field advantage. In close games that matters and over time stuff like that helps gives your program an edge over other, similar programs. You don't have to have it, but when the good bowls are passing over you--even if the team does deserve it--it makes it harder to become a recognized, perennial top 10 program.

Going way back, that's why I love our scheduling. I live 7.5 hours away but when we go against the damn good programs I *want* to go. I wanted to go when we played FSU this year, even if they are having are down by their standards, but I had no such feelings for the Miami(OH) game. Oh, and I am a season ticket holder, even though I make 1-3 games a year so the program has my support.

But I agree, except for Austin (which I'll be going to in a few years to watch UT vs CU to watch with some Longhorn alumni) I really wouldn't want to travel to any other place in the Big XII.

Well I agree with the Colonel, if I'm understanding him correctly....

A large slice of the CU fan base likes to talk the talk and thump its chest, walking around thinking we're some kind of top-10 program, and that our "rightful" place is getting back to winning 10-11 games most years. We're not and it's not.

Why only look at the last 10/11 years? Because McCartney was a special coach who could recruit, that's why. When analyzed in terms of facilities, fan support, and what we pay our coaches, the results of the last 10 years are pretty much in line with those inputs.

Hawkins' 2007 contract placed him 53rd nationally and 11th in the Big 12.

Now I do think Hawkins has the potential to be another McCartney, but whether he actually will be or not remains to be seen.

Part of the Colonel's point (I think) is that expecting continual improvement is not realistic. It doesn't happen overnight or even in 2 or 3 years. Mac didn't deliver 8-wins until his 6th season and I'm pretty sure his first 5 schedules weren't as tough as this one.

Well I agree with the Colonel, if I'm understanding him correctly....

A large slice of the CU fan base likes to talk the talk and thump its chest, walking around thinking we're some kind of top-10 program, and that our "rightful" place is getting back to winning 10-11 games most years. We're not and it's not.

Why only look at the last 10/11 years? Because McCartney was a special coach who could recruit, that's why. When analyzed in terms of facilities, fan support, and what we pay our coaches, the results of the last 10 years are pretty much in line with those inputs.

Hawkins' 2007 contract placed him 53rd nationally and 11th in the Big 12.

Now I do think Hawkins has the potential to be another McCartney, but whether he actually will be or not remains to be seen.

Part of the Colonel's point (I think) is that expecting continual improvement is not realistic. It doesn't happen overnight or even in 2 or 3 years. Mac didn't deliver 8-wins until his 6th season and I'm pretty sure his first 5 schedules weren't as tough as this one.

I understand what your saying. But to expect your team to be 'mediocre and thats the way it will always be' is where i kind of get upset. True, we aren't going to be USC, or ND. I just hope for the best. Isn't that what being a fan is all about?

Back