What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

ESPN 30 for 30 "The Gospel according to Mac" Tonight at 7pm MT

Lets face it...mlost of those instances if not ALL were tainted wtih alcohol. I was in a "few" fights at frat parties and the like.... Alcohol definitely does something to common sense and proper behavior...LOL. I was at CU in Mac's first year....and although I never saw any blatant racism, there was most certainly underlying societal elements which were not friendly to blacks. I played basketball with many of the black football players....they were not kind to short white dudes like myself. I was guarding Rueben Vaughn one day and he basically backed me in...shoved me out of the way...and scored...then later he hit the ball out of bounds and said "the Vaughn says its our ball"....okey dokey.... I took no offense. to it..and loved competing with them....it was fun. Cant wait to hear Macs response in an interview....I am sure he will be pleased. Read some national reviews and they are PISSED that they put Mac in a positive light... Insprinrational video.
Yes alcohol was typically a factor in a lot of the altercations, at least the ones I was in. I was in way too many.
No they were not always nice, in a lot of instances it went both ways. But they had learned to keep up their defenses up. HelI I played with them and when we hit the basketball court they didn't like me either...:)

Lets not forget the rich yuppie pussies, who thought it was fun to watch us on Saturdays but didn't like black players out in public in bars around their white girlfriends....
Seems like you might be carrying a little hate yourself?

I love how Mac told Les Miles to go get Sal, and to just stay in Cali if he didn't get him. Our current staff doesn't seem as cutthroat in recruiting.

I love how Mac told Les Miles to go get Sal, and to just stay in Cali if he didn't get him. Our current staff doesn't seem as cutthroat in recruiting.

Forget about painting over some of the motivational stuff and losing the bricks, the fact that Hawkins couldn't find room for TC was the biggest disrespect/misunderstanding of the program's history and DNA.

Last edited:
One of the things that caused me to love CU football was the players in their public interaction. I never had a problem in the weight room or at parties. That was in sharp contrast to OU where when Switzer's boys showed up, you left the party right away because you knew bad **** was going to happen. I also attended a crap football school where the players were constantly in fights. The guys at CU we're kicking ass and seemed to carry that without being a holes. I attribute that to Mac and his staff. He had it going on off the field and on it!

Seeing the footage from those days and the players we had ... makes you wonder all the more where it all went wrong and why we´ve had to endure the last 10 years.

Seeing the footage from those days and the players we had ... makes you wonder all the more where it all went wrong and why we´ve had to endure the last 10 years.
yea, the speed of those guys was definitely on a whole nother level.

Started with the weasel and self imposed death penalty didn't help much. Couple crappy hires after that.

Really well done. But surprised they didn't mention Derek.

Yeah ... I was wondering about that too. Wonder if it was a family decision?

Really a well-done film ... one of the best of the 30 for 30 series (and I can't recall ever seeing a bad one).

All it takes is a handful of racist ***holes

When you are on the recieving end of the racism you aren't busy taking count of how many are responsible for it. The simple fact is that it is there in your face.

You also notice that while others around you may not be actively participating in the racism they aren't doing anything to stop it either. Acceptance of bad behavior means that even if it is only a few doing it the bad behavior is the norm.

Mac was respected because he stood up to the culture that permitted the bad behavior. I didn't agree with his take on the Embree firing and on some other situations but I can see why he came to his positions.

Blacks have proven that they can coach at the highest level in the NFL, NBA, MLB, and college MBB yet outside of a few notable exceptions have had a hard time even getting serious interviews for BCS level HC football jobs.

I missed it... :(
Is it going to be re-played or is it on Netflix yet?

No worries ... they frequently re-air those, often within days of the original broadcast.

EDIT: In fact ... I just checked my Dish program guide, and they have it on at 8pm MT tonight on ESPNU. If you don't have that channel, just go to the ESPN site and look up the 30 for 30 series for re-broadcast times on one of the other ESPN channels.

fantastic documentary. i was living in california throughout the Mac years so i was aware of some of it, but to see and hear the detailed accounts from the coaches, players, and media who were living it was awesome. i'm glad i recorded it, i will definitely watch it again.

i think there is a great opportunity for the current staff (and our other athletic programs) to use this piece as a recruiting tool too...it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Trojan War aired a week or two ago and it's already on Netflix, so even if you miss the reruns it should be on Netflix within a few days.

Really well done. But surprised they didn't mention Derek.

Yeah ... I was wondering about that too. Wonder if it was a family decision?

Really a well-done film ... one of the best of the 30 for 30 series (and I can't recall ever seeing a bad one).

Not sure why they needed to. Shannon came after the Orange Bowls. All it would have done is painted Kristy in an even worse light. I think her story was important to Sal's legacy and enough was said to imply her issues and Mac's family issues, but including Derek, IMO, just makes the story about her.

However, even if it was part of the story they wanted to include in Mac's family, I could see them saying no since Derek is a part of the current team.

I as so glad I watched it last night. Wish my friends from back then had been here with me. We had so much fun going to the football games those two seasons when we ended up in the Orange Bowl.

Both years we went to the Orange Bowl on a trip arranged through a Boulder travel agency. Somehow, they put us in the same hotel as the Nebraska team while we were in Orlando before going to Miami. You read that right. My friend goes down to the hot tub. She came back so angry. Nebraska players and wives/girlfriends were in the hot tub. It go to where she was afraid to leave as they were talking about Sal and Kristy and how CU would be nothing if Sal had not died and the next year, they would no longer have the same motivation and not be able to beat Nebraska. One of my co-workers was at the icy, rainy, sleet game in Nebraska. He said the stuff the Fusker fans were saying was worse than was said last night. Yes, it was mostly about Sal.

Shed some happy tears and some sad tears during that show.

My brother-in-law was in to the Promisekeepers thing and he and 3 men stayed at my house while attending. I never saw them. That is how busy they were at Folsom. BIL says Mac and Promisekeepers saved his marriage.

A few years ago, I went to a volleyball match and somebody was sitting in my reserved seat. I asked them to leave and then realized I had kicked Mac out of my seat. When I told him my BIL's experience at Promisekeepers, he had a big smile and said it's those stories that keep him going.

one thing that they missed and really should have included (because it would have added so much context) is the fact that Mac sought to hire and promote black coaches. at one point, in the 90s, every division 1 black head coach in america had been an assistant for Mac. the college football hall of fame had a special exhibit about it back in the day.

i cringed then and i cringe today at some of the stuff, but he did really walk the walk.

in terms of my interactions with black students back then in the 80s, the other posters have it right-- if you had a black person in class, the odds were overwhelming that he or she was an athlete. from my limited perspective (i went to a few parties and had a couple of acquaintances on the team), a lot of the guys were much more comfortable together and in smaller groups than out at the bars or big parties. they seemed a lot more guarded in the bigger environments. it makes sense, of course.

I almost made it through without cutting onions, but Mac's statement to his daughter at Sal's funeral got me ("I admire you, I respect you...")

A few notes:
  • the film could have talked more about Sal's troubles, but didn't. He missed 1986 due to academics and was suspended for Spring ball in '88 for an arrest (including two weeks in jail). I'm surprised they didn't mention it.
  • I loved how Nebraska was characterized
  • I would have liked some additional time spent on how amazing the '90 season was and how close some of those games were (e.g. Stanford, Washington)
  • I thought the Fifth Down portrayal was fair
  • I wish they hadn't spent so much time talking about "the clip," and it was represented as if the flag came very late (like everyone had minutes to process it as a loss, while I remember seeing the clip and the flag in real time) and was a gift (it was more of a block in the back, but still a penalty)
  • the only revelation to me was Mac's infidelity, I had no idea about that. To be honest, after he resigned I got sick of the bad press he continued to cause and just ignored most of the news related to him for years.

fantastic documentary. i was living in california throughout the Mac years so i was aware of some of it, but to see and hear the detailed accounts from the coaches, players, and media who were living it was awesome. i'm glad i recorded it, i will definitely watch it again.

i think there is a great opportunity for the current staff (and our other athletic programs) to use this piece as a recruiting tool too...it will be interesting to see how that plays out.
I really hope the film is embraced by our current, and future coaching staffs. I am sure the current athletes can relate, even though its 25 years later.

Back