What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

ESPN 30 for 30 "The Gospel according to Mac" Tonight at 7pm MT

You have to remember they filmed this months ago and Zimmer was in really bad shape from his fall at this home and is still rehabbing. I am sure that had something to do with it. B.G. Brooks was really the only one featured and he does not work for the Camera - he works for the University.

You beat me to this. My guess is Zim just was not up to it.

As a Buff fan who was there for all of the big moments in that movie, I loved it. It was great seeing all of that stuff, as well as the soundbites from many of the participants now.

Objectively, the movie was pretty bad. There were tons of real questions raised, but none of them addressed more than superficially. If you do not want the movie to be about religion and it's hold on college sports and sports in general, don't give it that title. And, if you are trying to make an actual documentary, have some dissenting voices on some of the issues raised. If this had been a university produced piece, I would have been fine with it, but as an example of sports journalism it missed the mark.
I disagree. I thought it was pretty good....but to each their own. I think you misunderstood the title...It was about coach Mac and how his belief system guided his life and career...it was not about religion and sports.

You have to remember they filmed this months ago and Zimmer was in really bad shape from his fall at this home and is still rehabbing. I am sure that had something to do with it. B.G. Brooks was really the only one featured and he does not work for the Camera - he works for the University.

Valid point about Zim. B.G. Brooks, at that time, worked for the BDC and they cited him as much in the episode. Nevertheless, good points.

You beat me to this. My guess is Zim just was not up to it.

When you do these shows you have a tight budget and with that a tight schedule. You maybe only have 10 days of filming and will do it over two trips. So you reach out and try to fit in who you can. It is not like you are going to get everyone that you want to get when you do these things.

Valid point about Zim. B.G. Brooks, at that time, worked for the BDC and they cited him as much in the episode. Nevertheless, good points.

Not to split hairs but Brooks never worked for the Camera, he worked for the Rocky Mountain News. Dan Creedon and Neill Woelk were pretty much the Camera sports department during the McCartney era. There are a lot of reporters they could of reached out to (and did) but it does not always work out. Schedules.

Not to split hairs but Brooks never worked for the Camera, he worked for the Rocky Mountain News. Dan Creedon and Neill Woelk were pretty much the Camera sports department during the McCartney era. There are a lot of reporters they could of reached out to (and did) but it does not always work out. Schedules.

Yep. You are right. Thanks for the correction.

Klatt works for their competitor.
Great point. Never thought about that. I mean I like Klatt and don't think he deserves the hate in the other thread. I don't think that he played for Barnett should make a difference. I never played a second for CU and a bet 90% of us are the same and we have over 120 posts on it. Him working at Fox Sports definitely makes sense on why he wouldn't tweet on it.

They have Klatt on espn radio here and there, so I don't think there's an issue with them being a competitor. Fox isn't as strict with their employees tweets as espn is either. He maybe hasn't had a chance to see it yet, who knows.

Watching it now.

Talking radio heads had a lot of good things to say about the show. A Lot. John Rhode grew up in Boulder and now is a writer/radio commentator down here. He echoed what the show is portraying about the city then and what those teams were like.

If you do not want the movie to be about religion and it's hold on college sports and sports in general, don't give it that title.
Gospel as used in the title is an allusion to his religious beliefs and values, the resurrection of the program, and to the literal meaning of "the good news" that he was giving recruits. The title makes perfect sense within the context of the film.

As a Buff fan who was there for all of the big moments in that movie, I loved it. It was great seeing all of that stuff, as well as the soundbites from many of the participants now.

Objectively, the movie was pretty bad. There were tons of real questions raised, but none of them addressed more than superficially. If you do not want the movie to be about religion and it's hold on college sports and sports in general, don't give it that title. And, if you are trying to make an actual documentary, have some dissenting voices on some of the issues raised. If this had been a university produced piece, I would have been fine with it, but as an example of sports journalism it missed the mark.
I appreciated that the producers didn't force an editorial voice into the film. To do what they did is very hard: present controversial issues without taking a side. They essentially said "here's what happened," and left interpretation up to the viewer. That takes a lot of courage, to refrain from putting one's own interpretation on the events.

If people came into it wanting to be impressed, as much of us did, there was material for them. If people came to it wanting to be pissed off about X, there was material for them too. For people without a preconceived notion, the film didn't provide them answers, but left them with questions. There was good, and there was bad. Mac was not a perfect man. The team was not a perfect team. The situation was not a fairy tale. It was, and is, complicated and gray. To let it be gray, and not try and turn it to a morality tale - to be bold enough to allow the viewer come to their own interpretation, that is journalism at it's best.

As a student during that time was the racial stuff as pointed as it was portrayed in the program? It made it sound like those guys were really pariahs on campus and in the community. Was it really that way?

Hagan and some other FB players shared the same dorm bathroom as I did. On multiple occasions there was hair clippings left in the sink. No big deal.

Yet I recall some guy in the dorm who was indignant about "having a bunch of pubic hairs all over the sink." I found his representation of clipped hair to be insensitive at best and his temper tantrum to be racially hateful at the point when he got going on the subject of black hygiene. It's not like there were many barber shops around Boulder that earn a living serving black clientele.

I tend to respect the opinions of minorities who have lived in Boulder on the subject of racism. There's no way for me to fully perceive the overt and subtle institutional forms of racism that blacks have experienced from dorm bathrooms to police encounters in our mostly white beloved college town.

Like I said earlier I loved the production. There were a few things that puzzled me though. Barnett had about three sentences and each seemed almost negative. He spoke of Mac almost playing favorites towards those who prayed or were more religious. Then a brief mention of the ACLU coming down on Mac/university for the prayers or religious activity. What bothered me was that the film didn't really expand on both of these issues, at least to what I thought it was about to.

I feel like I've learned a great amount of the Mac years, but never once heard of this favoritism issue. Has anyone else heard about this?

Wow!

Trees may well prevail Sat, but the Buffs will definitely be impacted by this ESPN "30".

Grateful to have attended a bunch of those contests. Of the bowls, Hail Mary, and the bugs in the pouring rain, it was definitely the Corn game in Lincoln that was the most satisfying victory! I frikin love the insights on that "wet mayhem" from the players involved. Was stuck in the Neb students section. It was both a miserable mess, and the best middle of the night train ride home one can hope achieve ;). Lol

Look forward to see what happens this Saturday despite the odds. Lets get the next party started and turn the lights back on!

Thank you ESPN!

I'm in it! 50:29 when Jeff George gets sacked you can see sjbuff in the background.

Watching Mac just reminded me of how charismatic he is. The amazing thing is he is 100 times more charismatic in person face to face than he was in 5hat program. A phenomenally gifted motivator.

Watching it now.

Talking radio heads had a lot of good things to say about the show. A Lot. John Rhode grew up in Boulder and now is a writer/radio commentator down here. He echoed what the show is portraying about the city then and what those teams were like.
Another down here in OKC eh? Thanks for listening to The Franchise!

Hagan and some other FB players shared the same dorm bathroom as I did. On multiple occasions there was hair clippings left in the sink. No big deal.

Yet I recall some guy in the dorm who was indignant about "having a bunch of pubic hairs all over the sink." I found his representation of clipped hair to be insensitive at best and his temper tantrum to be racially hateful at the point when he got going on the subject of black hygiene. It's not like there were many barber shops around Boulder that earn a living serving black clientele.

I tend to respect the opinions of minorities who have lived in Boulder on the subject of racism. There's no way for me to fully perceive the overt and subtle institutional forms of racism that blacks have experienced from dorm bathrooms to police encounters in our mostly white beloved college town.
I don't doubt for a minute that Boulder is a hard place for minorities. As much as I love Boulder, the city can be very passive-aggressive in how they treat "outsiders". As a white guy, it was pretty difficult for me to adjust coming from a lower middle-class, blue collar background in North Denver. I can't even imagine how out of place a guy like Hagan or McGhee would feel coming from Houston/L.A..

I thought there was a very good chance this was going to be a hatchet job despite 30 for 30's reputation, so I didn't watch it. It took some research, but I found it will be replayed tonight at 11pm MT (1am ET Friday for those of you on the East Coast) on ESPNU (404 on Comcast Xfinity).

I lived in Boulder during that time. Boulder itself was very white, as was CU. Pretty much the only blacks on campus were athletes from what I could tell. It was that way years earlier when I attended CU. I was in the business school and I don't recall seeing any black students (way before it was Leeds). I also heard rumblings that some white athletes didn't like having black roommates. If that was true, the players were discriminated against by their own teammates.

Mac could only protect them from so much. You bring kids in out of LA, there will be problems.

The only thing new to me was Mac's infidelity as a young man and his wife's reaction. Like others, I didn't read or follow a lot on Mac after he left CU so if this made the news, I probably missed it.

The only thing new to me was Mac's infidelity as a young man and his wife's reaction. Like others, I didn't read or follow a lot on Mac after he left CU so if this made the news, I probably missed it.
I'm not sure why he bothered saying anything to her...it was ages ago and the knowledge could only hurt her.

Back