What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

ESPN 30 for 30 "The Gospel according to Mac" Tonight at 7pm MT

Everyone seems to be forgetting the scholarship limits changed over the years. Before 1988 you could have 105 players on scholarship and give out 35 scholarships per year. After 1988 it was reduced to 95, and after 1994 it was reduced to the present 85 limit. Most believe those changes have led to more parity in college football. That would actually give MacIntyre access to a much greater talent pool than McCartney had. I remember when Oklahoma, Nebraska, Texas, USC, ND, Ohio State, Michigan, would horde talented players just so they would not go to other schools - not because they needed them. Recruiting is big now days to the masses because of all the information on the Internet, but it was just as fierce in the 60s, 70s and 80s - it just did not get as much publicity.

Trying to compare eras is folly, IMO.

Serious question, who had the bigger hole to get out of Mac I or II?

Mac 1. CU nearly got rid of football. And he didn't have an AD like RG in place yet. Facilities were probably worse than his competition.

Mac 1. CU nearly got rid of football. And he didn't have an AD like RG in place yet. Facilities were probably worse than his competition.
Facilities were **** across the nation for the most part, but definitely agree they were crap. Nebraska always had an upper hand there since they had their steroid bar and dedicated a large portion of square footage to their weight room. I never had heard CU nearly getting rid of football, but interesting that was ever discussed. CU built Dal Ward and it was only probably a 1/3 of what they truly needed at that time which means we were already behind the ball. The stadium improvement in the early 00's funded by the Big XII Championship did little to help sports but just make the stadium look prettier and entice big money people with luxury. We FINALLY have something that is amongst the Top 10% of college football. We just waited too long and have paid for it. Along with **** coaching prior to MacIntyre.

If George wouldn't have been sent home before the game we would have 2 NC.
ND could stop the fullback (no one could that year) We would have won.
Figures was also suspended that whole season, correct? That would have meant an All American caliber corner that would have helped also.

Facilities were big back in the 80s (and 70s) they were called athletic dorms and football players at schools like Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska, lived like kings. CU did not have Athletic Dorms nor any other facilities. The dorms were outlawed by the NCAA in 1996 and the recent upgrade in other facilities was in response to that. People who think the arms race is a new thing are uninformed.

Facilities were big back in the 80s (and 70s) they were called athletic dorms and football players at schools like Oklahoma, Texas, ****braska, lived like kings. CU did not have Athletic Dorms nor any other facilities. The dorms were outlawed by the NCAA in 1996 and the recent upgrade in other facilities was in response to that. People who think the arms race is a new thing are uninformed.
I suppose all is relative, but back in the early 80's I don't recall too many multi-million dollar facilities being built.

You are preaching to the choir. I know. This sucks but McCartney was getting boat raced in an average Big 8 below ****braska and Oklahoma. In his third year there was probably some other syko saying this guy ain't the right guy.

I am giving MacIntyre until next season. If we can't make a bowl game with that senior class, and are cellar dwellers mid-PAC 12 season then fire him to show you mean business and want the best candidate out there. Firing him now starts this cycle over again unless you see a Harbaugh or Meyer or Saban savior type that is going to come here.

Who said fire Mike? I didn't. The comparisons to mac and his 3rd season are meh. Times have changed, does mike have the staff or players coming in that mac had from 86-94? I see some better players but is our current class at the bottom in the pac 12?

Bottom recruiting, bottom in standings. We can't have mike playing the sequel to coach simple jack. Recruiting must improve drastically and if that means a change in staff, get it done.

Yep, the revisionist history with some on the board is amazing.

We all know mac's record in the first 3 years, that and the comparison 's add nauseum.

Mike will have next season to have this team in a bowl if not? RG may not have choice but to send him packing.

Serious question, who had the bigger hole to get out of Mac I or II?

Let's put this another way. Could MacIntyre have been effective digging out of the hole and doing as well as McCartney did?

Not related to infidelity and perhaps I overreacted, that is why I deleted my comment. My reaction was based more around Waldo using some cult handbook to criticize Mac's decision.
You can't call AA a cult, it has no leader other than group conscience, and neither offers salvation or enlightenment. It only offers sobriety and has no opinion on outside issues but thanks for playing. Please do not comment on what you obviously know nothing about.

You can't call AA a cult, it has no leader other than group conscience, and neither offers salvation or enlightenment. It only offers sobriety and has no opinion on outside issues but thanks for playing. Please do not comment on what you obviously know nothing about.
I think he meant the other thing.

We all know mac's record in the first 3 years, that and the comparison 's add nauseum.

Mike will have next season to have this team in a bowl if not? RG may not have choice but to send him packing.
If it was anybody but Marolt, Mac would have been fired after the 1-10, that is the reality. Nobody in a million millennia saw our dominance coming and if they say the did, they're liars.

If it was anybody but Marolt, Mac would have been fired after the 1-10, that is the reality. Nobody in a million millennia saw our dominance coming and if they say the did, they're liars.

Not just 1-10, but 1-10 amidst a small scandal related to whether favoritism was being played with Christian player and team prayer being mandatory. (I think my timing is right on that controversy.) In 2015, McCartney would have been fired.

Let's put this another way. Could MacIntyre have been effective digging out of the hole and doing as well as McCartney did?
Good question. MikeMac's 3rd year team is more successful than Mac's, but things were so different. I think what was written earlier about having more schollies in the past making competition for talent more difficult. I don't think MikeMac has the recruiting chops to have done what Mac did and Mac had a better staff...I don't see a bunch of future head coaches on this staff.

Good question. MikeMac's 3rd year team is more successful than Mac's, but things were so different. I think what was written earlier about having more schollies in the past making competition for talent more difficult. I don't think MikeMac has the recruiting chops to have done what Mac did and Mac had a better staff...I don't see a bunch of future head coaches on this staff.
I think that was a statement disguised as a question that you just answered.

I also don't think trying to draw comparisons between 2 situations separated by 30 years really makes a lot of sense. I'd venture to guess that there are more 1-win coaches who haven't gone on to win a national title than ones who have.

Mac 2 needs to be evaluated on his own, within the context of the current state of the conference. Just because Mac 1 turned a 1-win team into a winner doesn't mean our current futility will turn into a winner.

It's not a brain washing, it's more of a dry cleaning.

It's not a brain washing, it's more of a dry cleaning.

I get tired of hearing from so called Christians how AA is a cult, the 12 & 12 are spiritual principles based on the same principles they claim to follow, the Oxford group was the basis for AA but they had to get rid of the Chrisitanity to serve all faiths and non faiths. Oxford did not have the success that AA had in helping people get sober long enough to make their own decisions. It stepped in where the church failed.

I get tired of hearing from so called Christians how AA is a cult, the 12 & 12 are spiritual principles based on the same principles they claim to follow, the Oxford group was the basis for AA but they had to get rid of the Chrisitanity to serve all faiths and non faiths. Oxford did not have the success that AA had in helping people get sober long enough to make their own decisions. It stepped in where the church failed.
Agree with all. I don't think AA needs too be defended. GI has shown himself to be pretty judgy.

I saw that Mac was bringing in better and better players and believed he would turn it around and that is no lie. I did not support him being fired. But, yeah, I can't say I saw coming what eventually happened.

I agree but there is a big difference between Mac I and Mac II in the fact Mac I held his staff accountable from year one and started to make changes at the end of hi first year while Mac II still has poor assistants (Neinas) on his staff.

Didn't Mac1 stick with his initial staff for 3 years? Mac2 changed a coordinator and assistant after the 2nd year. We've yet to see what changes will happen after the 3rd year.

Didn't Mac1 stick with his initial staff for 3 years? Mac2 changed a coordinator and assistant after the 2nd year. We've yet to see what changes will happen after the 3rd year.
Technically he only changed DC, I believe the other dude left on his own (can't believe I forgot his name).

I finally watched this last night. Why do I still watch CU football after all these years of futility? Because that '86 to '90 period was just so special. (Plenty of great moments through the Neuheisel and Barnett years, too.) I was an impressionable teen at the time and the whole story was just so compelling on and off the field. Nothing will ever compare to the emotion of that '89 season. And I loved watching the I-bone and all that talent on both sides of the ball. The Black & Gold got into my blood like nothing else ever did. I'm a Denver native. I don't make time to watch CU basketball or the Avs or Nuggets or any other team when they're having terrible seasons. There are just too many other things I can do with my time. I still almost always make time for the Buffs football team because something in me just can't give up hope that we will recapture just a little bit of that magic one day.

Last edited:
Man, just finishing watching it. The part about the black players getting in trouble, largely, because they were black and not because they were troublemakers, and then to see that Riley article, basically, calling them bad guys just made me detest Riley. I mean, I disliked him before. But that made me detest him.

Another thing. I am multiracial. A little over half white, a little less than half black with a little Native American. I disagree with Coach Mac on just about all his social stances. I grew up going to church every week, but it never took. I'm not religious at all and I'm as liberal as they come. Nevertheless, as a teen who was already old enough to have experienced plenty of the racist crap that those players had to deal with, I respected and liked Bill McCartney so much for the things he had to say about racism. (Aside from his cringe worthy term "The Great Black Athlete". :eek:)

Back