What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

ESPN covered the Embree press conference this morning.

He conveniently didnt mention the fact that Embree had never even been a coordinator much less a head coach. Dan Hawkins had eventhough he was a peckerwood. Embree never gets a first chance anywhere but CU. Lumping him in with others seems like a cop out, keep in mind I have zero love for the AD there. They did shock me, I didn't think they'd do it. Screaming A should have done his hw on Embree. Qualifications should be important for all skin colors. CU ****ed up hiring him.

I agree, who the **** is gonna win at New Mexico St? Higher profile jobs are needed, Shaw looks like a pretty damn good coach to me. Harbaugh got it going but Shaw hasn't missed a beat. I get all of that, I think it still needs a ton of progress. That said, Embree isn't a part if that other than being African American. He needs experience other than a position coach. I hope he sees what he did wrong. Coaches put their guys in position to be successful, that's easy to do with AP or Gonzalez. Different ball game with college kids.

NMSU is a tough job. Certainly. Difficult to win, but not impossible. I would have said the same thing about SJSU before McIntyre took that job.

The black coaches who have been successful have very similar resumes to the white coaches who have been successful. Coordinator experience at a top program or two, and then possibly achieving success as a HC at a lower-level job before getting the big tent HC job.

Most coaches don't last long in college football regardless of race. I think the average D1 coaching tenure is 3.5 years (that may be less now because that was the number when JoePa and Bowden were still HCs). Some get promoted, but once you're at the BCS level if you're leaving it's usually because you've been fired. And then you've got to work your way back up.

I never thought I'd see the day where I would turn on a prime-time Sports-Center and see segments dedicated to both Colorado football and basketball. Exciting times, even if one of those segments is the rantings of a bitter old man.

Do you know what helps black coaches? Winning.

rn_a_kevinsumlin_ms_600.jpg

Now THAT is a coach.

Back