What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

ESPN (Tin Griffin's) B12 Predictions

CU's combined record the 2 years prior to MAC's arrival: 4-18

CU's combined record the 2 years prior to Hawk's arrival: 15-11

Slight difference.

I love FAN LETTERS:lol: KU and cu have beat NEBRASKA what 10 times in the last 60 combined games - Yea I know it's the past but until you win 40 or 50 combined quit pumping your chest. Except for ou & tu the rest of the Big12 has about 3 decades to even it out. Get your shot's in while you can because you know NEBRASKA will be good again.
Come back and wake me up when that happens.

Hey Junction this you??? :smile: and when did you start going by Jim??

Jim from Grand Junction, Colo., writes: Tim, I'm wondering about the wisdom of Coach Dan Hawkins' remarks. The 10-2 prediction, was it necessary? Was it wise? What happens if he does/doesn't achieve the goal?
Tim Griffin: Hawkins has definitely told the world he thinks his team will be a lot better in 2009 than 2008. A lot better.
I don't know if I would have made the comments in a public setting like Hawkins did. But he obviously is very confident his team will be much better. Hence, his pronouncement.

But he has put a lot of pressure squarely on him and his team.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/big12/0-...hy-doesn-t-Notre-Dame-play-Big-12-teams-.html

Last edited:
CU's combined record the 2 years prior to MAC's arrival: 4-18

CU's combined record the 2 years prior to Hawk's arrival: 15-11

Slight difference.

slight is the key word!

30-3, 70-3 ya thats a slight improvement from a 15-11 record!:thumbsup:
Blown out 15 straight times by ranked competetion under Barney

Hey Junction this you??? :smile: and when did you start going by Tim??

Jim from Grand Junction, Colo., writes: Tim, I'm wondering about the wisdom of Coach Dan Hawkins' remarks. The 10-2 prediction, was it necessary? Was it wise? What happens if he does/doesn't achieve the goal?
Tim Griffin: Hawkins has definitely told the world he thinks his team will be a lot better in 2009 than 2008. A lot better.
I don't know if I would have made the comments in a public setting like Hawkins did. But he obviously is very confident his team will be much better. Hence, his pronouncement.

But he has put a lot of pressure squarely on him and his team.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/big12/0-...hy-doesn-t-Notre-Dame-play-Big-12-teams-.html

Did he say 10-2 or 10 wins? 10 wins could be 9-3 plus a win in a bowl over some ****ty big 10 team.

slight is the key word!

30-3, 70-3 ya thats a slight improvement from a 15-11 record!:thumbsup:
Blown out 15 straight times by ranked competetion under Barney

Montana state, barely escaping eastern washington, 58-0 and 55-10 to mizzou and 13-24 with 3 straight losing seasons. Yep, much better:thumbsup:

Montana state, barely escaping eastern washington, 58-0 and 55-10 to mizzou and 13-24 with 3 straight losing seasons. Yep, much better:thumbsup:

we're not talking about that, we're talking about the two years prior to the two.

But if you insist, here's some losses in Macs first two years

Missouri L 20-59
Nebraska L 19-69
Oklahoma st, L 14-40
Notre Dame 14-55
Missouri again L 7-52
Oklahoma L 17-42
and @ lowly Kansas st, one of the worst college programs at the time probably worse than Montana st when we lost to them , L 6-38.

PLEASE stop with the MAC -hawk comparison's. Hawk has done nothing and MAC took CU to the highest level it's ever seen. I love how hawk is going to take cu where MAC went because he has 3 straight losing seasons like MAC to start off, Hilarious logic.

Unleash hell, your question if we have another losing season will hawk still be here? Yes because bohn will keep him here.

Let me ask you, another losing season after all the sunshine and Big talk, do people still make excuses and then change there tune to 2010 being the year and just become like cubs fans?

I would like a 7-5 season and a bowl WIN. 8-5 would make me happy and more excited for 2010 and the future.

Just got caught up with the thread... It's time you looked at MAC reality - he was here 13 years to accomplish all he did, and although he was 7-5 in his 4th, it took him 6 years to establish his winning tradition. I don't buy in that Hawk has only 4 or even 5. It's easy to see that things have turned around in talent and attitude - the rest will follow. And yes, Hawk pumps sunshine, but I don't remember any win predictions until this year. He put that pressure on himself, but I think we all agree a winning season will take the pressure back off.

BTW, the heck-ler is just a little b!tch, ignore her and she'll go away.

Just got caught up with the thread... It's time you looked at MAC reality - he was here 13 years to accomplish all he did, and although he was 7-5 in his 4th, it took him 6 years to establish his winning tradition. I don't buy in that Hawk has only 4 or even 5. It's easy to see that things have turned around in talent and attitude - the rest will follow. And yes, Hawk pumps sunshine, but I don't remember any win predictions until this year. He put that pressure on himself, but I think we all agree a winning season will take the pressure back off.

Good post. and yes, I see nothing wrong with the sunshine pumping from Hawk and fans. It's good for the team, it keeps the teams goals intact. What do you expect them to say, we suck? When my dad played for the buffs in the early 70's, Coach Crowder was a pumper as well. The teams goals then were to win a national championship and they talked about it in public.

Did he say 10-2 or 10 wins? 10 wins could be 9-3 plus a win in a bowl over some ****ty big 10 team.

According to the Rocky, he said "10 wins, no excuses."

Which could include a bowl game.
Dan Hawkins is raising the bar - significantly - in anticipation of his fourth season as the University of Colorado's football coach.
At the team's annual seniors awards banquet Sunday at a hotel in Broomfield, Hawkins' closing remarks included this forecast for 2009: "10 wins and no excuses."
This quote really needs to be put into perspective. He is telling his team they can do it, to have confidence, find their swagger, make it happen.
I'd be horribly disappointed to hear Hawkins go over the minute details of whether we can realistically win this or that road game. He's not an idot, he knows what can happen, but he is setting the bar high in anticipation of a much better season than the last one.
It was said to fire up the fans, the players, everyone. As it should.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/dec/15/hawkins-predicts-10-wins-for-buffaloes/

confidence breeds confidence.

we're not talking about that, we're talking about the two years prior to the two.

But if you insist, here's some losses in Macs first two years

Missouri L 20-59
Nebraska L 19-69
Oklahoma st, L 14-40
Notre Dame 14-55
Missouri again L 7-52
Oklahoma L 17-42
and @ lowly Kansas st, one of the worst college programs at the time probably worse than Montana st when we lost to them , L 6-38.

You can't compare hawk to mac, i'm sorry but we'll argue to the death on this one. If hawk wins a NC and has as many wins come talk to me but right now, you have no legs to stand on in this issue, period.

You can't compare hawk to mac, i'm sorry but we'll argue to the death on this one. If hawk wins a NC and has as many wins come talk to me but right now, you have no legs to stand on in this issue, period.

At this point in their careers, yes you can compare. They are almost identical, period! I just smacked you in the face with facts and you come back with that?:lol:

BTW, nobody tells me what to do not even me!:smile2:

Some of what you say I agree with but again, just because you or I say it will happen doesn't mean squat. Lot of talk in these 3 years little results. Can't we just say nothing, go out and get it done and then talk? All it does it get CU laughed at and now we get a 10 win prediction from a coach who hasn't had a winning season yet? Outside of boulder and the cu family, it sounds delusional to most.

If a ***raska coach said this, this board would destroy and laugh of any poster who tried to defend. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it.

I stated that cu imho would get the ball rolling this year but enough talk, just get it done.

Some of what you say I agree with but again, just because you or I say it will happen doesn't mean squat. Lot of talk in these 3 years little results. Can't we just say nothing, go out and get it done and then talk? All it does it get CU laughed at and now we get a 10 win prediction from a coach who hasn't had a winning season yet? Outside of boulder and the cu family, it sounds delusional to most.

If a ***raska coach said this, this board would destroy and laugh of any poster who tried to defend. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it.

I stated that cu imho would get the ball rolling this year but enough talk, just get it done.

Syko the point your not getting is this goes on everywhere. People do say it at Nebraska, this wasn't said to the media, it was said at a team senior banq. You would **** your pants if you knew how talk goes everywhere.

Syko the point your not getting is this goes on everywhere. People do say it at Nebraska, this wasn't said to the media, it was said at a team senior banq. You would **** your pants if you knew how talk goes everywhere.

Could you post some articles form around the country where coaches who haven't had a winning season in their tenure have predicted 10 wins,thanks.

It amazes me how people love all this hype and talk even after 3 losing seasons. These type of results would get you fired at your job.

Could you post some articles form around the country where coaches who haven't had a winning season in their tenure have predicted 10 wins,thanks.

It amazes me how people love all this hype and talk even after 3 losing seasons. These type of results would get you fired at your job.

fair enough disregard last post, I took your post the wrong way.

Lot of talk in these 3 years little results. Can't we just say nothing, go out and get it done and then talk? All it does it get CU laughed at and now we get a 10 win prediction from a coach who hasn't had a winning season yet? Outside of boulder and the cu family, it sounds delusional to most.

Hey, we are all on the same side :thumbsup:, and I agree that the 10 win prediction can be interpreted as just so much rah-rah. But I don't think rah-rah is bad. No question Hawkins talks up his team, famously at times, but this is the first prediction by the coaching staff that I'm aware of. He's aware of his record, that it's time to put up, and calling himself out. I think players (and fans) like to get behind a guy like that!

What do you love about it?

I love that despite last season's record, Hawkins came on strong, guns blazing, saying this was the Buffs year, it could be their year, he believed in the guys, the program, the team.

Actually what gets you fired in real life is telling your boss "no, I don't think I can get that done. No, that won't work. Uh, I'm not competant or skilled enough to do what you've assigned me."

IMO, Hawkins HAS to come out full force and confident in his team. The team has to follow his lead, it's his job to get them fired up.

Hey, we are all on the same side :thumbsup:, and I agree that the 10 win prediction can be interpreted as just so much rah-rah. But I don't think rah-rah is bad. No question Hawkins talks up his team, famously at times, but this is the first prediction by the coaching staff that I'm aware of. He's aware of his record, that it's time to put up, and calling himself out. I think players (and fans) like to get behind a guy like that!

rep:thumbsup: if I could...
YMSSRA

At this point in their careers, yes you can compare. They are almost identical, period! I just smacked you in the face with facts and you come back with that?:lol:

BTW, nobody tells me what to do not even me!:smile2:

They are not near "almost identical".

As pointed out, CU was 15-11 the two years prior to Hawk. CU was 4-18 the two years prior to Mac. Were there some bad losses in that 15-11 span? Of course. Were there 18 losses? Absolutely not. 15-11 is far, far from great, it's not even good, but it is miles ahead of 4-18. No amount of spin or sunshine pumping can alter that.

Hawk's time at CU more closely resembles Fairbanks's than it does Mac's.

Now, let's get one thing clear. Hawk needs more time, he deserves more time. However, to think (or to merely suggest) that Hawkins is on the verge of great things because he has struggled his first 3 years and because Mac's teams struggled his first 3 years defies logic.

We all need to hope Hawkins will change things in Boulder. But, for now, all we have are 3 losing seasons. Nothing more, nothing less. That will NEED to change this upcoming season, or heads will roll, and rightfully so.

First of all people are on crack if they think Hawk has struggled all of his first 3 years. We had talent that could compete in the Wac not the Big 12 when Hawk got here and we went 2-10. The next year we took a huge step by going 6-6 and beating Oklahoma, Nebraska and CSU, and almost coming back and winning our bowl vs. Alabama. We followed that by a great recruiting class #15 in the country loaded with talent. We took a step back last year because of injuries and youth and almost got to a bowl again. I think Hawk is doing a great job, he needs to win 7-9 games this year to keep me happy, but you are on crack if you think Hawk has done a ****ty job so far. That is something to argue to death, you people don't get it! You don't get what kind of talent we have been having. We have not had the talent to compete with the top dogs, and we are starting to get there again. If you want something good to compare, compare Barnett's last 4 years vs ranked oppnents and Hawks first 3 vs. ranked oppnents. Hawk has beaten more and stayed with more. Do you know why we didn't have any all-stars this year? Or anyone invited to combine? LACK OF TALENT!!! Thanks Barnett and good work Hawkins!!!:thumbsup:

They are not near "almost identical".

As pointed out, CU was 15-11 the two years prior to Hawk. CU was 4-18 the two years prior to Mac. Were there some bad losses in that 15-11 span? Of course. Were there 18 losses? Absolutely not. 15-11 is far, far from great, it's not even good, but it is miles ahead of 4-18. No amount of spin or sunshine pumping can alter that.

Hawk's time at CU more closely resembles Fairbanks's than it does Mac's.

Now, let's get one thing clear. Hawk needs more time, he deserves more time. However, to think (or to merely suggest) that Hawkins is on the verge of great things because he has struggled his first 3 years and because Mac's teams struggled his first 3 years defies logic.

We all need to hope Hawkins will change things in Boulder. But, for now, all we have are 3 losing seasons. Nothing more, nothing less. That will NEED to change this upcoming season, or heads will roll, and rightfully so.

yes they are

The context in which the Mac/Hawk comparisons matter--and the context in which I most frequently hear them--relates to the virtue of patience.

Neill Woelk and much of the Buff-lovin' world were calling for Mac's head in '86. It's clear that the Buffs would have lost out if Mac's tenure at CU had been terminated at that time.

That's the relevance of the comparision. That's it.

We can't predict what Hawk is gonna due in the next four years. It feels like it's moving in the right direction to me, but others can back opinions contrary to mine by pointing out a lackluster win/loss record.

I feel strongly that it's too early to tell what will happen to this team under Hawk's leadership. I don't believe I've ever put a four or five year limit on my expectations either. At six years I fully expect Hawk's team to be demonstrating with wins and otherwise that it's turned the corner. After that, I'd expect him to capitalize on that success and continue building.

To summarize: It's too early to know, just like it was too early to know after Mac's first three seasons. In that manner, the comparison is quite appropriate.

However, to think (or to merely suggest) that Hawkins is on the verge of great things because he has struggled his first 3 years and because Mac's teams struggled his first 3 years defies logic.

So far, I think you're the only one to have thought (or merely suggested) this. :rolleyes:

Back