What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

ESPN (Tin Griffin's) B12 Predictions

So Rivals or Scout gave our recruiting class a high ranking 2 years ago?

Who cares, they also had NUs recruiting class of 2005 (or was 2006?) ranked in the Top5, and we all saw how that worked out. It's hard to judge a class until we start seeing the players involved in game action.

Spin it either way you like, close your eyes on any facts that don't support your belief, but the point still remains: Hawk is still an unknown in regards to his success at CU. 3 seasons, all losing seasons.

Has he had great talent to work with? Of course not. But he has had enough talent to muster better results than we've seen. All of the talent didn't suddenly disappear the second Barnett was fired.

Yes, we all know we had injuries last year. As they've always been, injuries are, and will continue to be, part of the game. There were also some coaching blunders last season that hurt us. And quite frankly, our QB position continues to be an area of weakness (which is rather disappointing and very instrumental in the overall success of the program).

Like I said, he does deserve more time, and I hope he succeeds as he is first class all the way. But there is some serious sunshine pumpin' and kool-aid drinkin' going on on this site.

First of all people are on crack if they think Hawk has struggled all of his first 3 years. We had talent that could compete in the Wac not the Big 12 when Hawk got here and we went 2-10. The next year we took a huge step by going 6-6 and beating Oklahoma, Nebraska and CSU, and almost coming back and winning our bowl vs. Alabama. We followed that by a great recruiting class #15 in the country loaded with talent. We took a step back last year because of injuries and youth and almost got to a bowl again. I think Hawk is doing a great job, he needs to win 7-9 games this year to keep me happy, but you are on crack if you think Hawk has done a ****ty job so far. That is something to argue to death, you people don't get it! You don't get what kind of talent we have been having. We have not had the talent to compete with the top dogs, and we are starting to get there again. If you want something good to compare, compare Barnett's last 4 years vs ranked oppnents and Hawks first 3 vs. ranked oppnents. Hawk has beaten more and stayed with more. Do you know why we didn't have any all-stars this year? Or anyone invited to combine? LACK OF TALENT!!! Thanks Barnett and good work Hawkins!!!:thumbsup:

Barnett left hawk with little talent,very true. But guess what? This will be Hawk's 4th year and people won't be able to harp on that anymore because most of these players will be hawk's.

13-24 is s***y period. There were circumstances in year 1 and the injuries and youth got them last year but from here on out,no more excuses, youth,depth, barnett zip nada.

Stop trying to be a winner and WIN games, burn the zen books and the ho-hum attitude about losing and go out kick a$$ and get the program back where all of the buff family wants it :thumbsup:

Barnett left hawk with little talent,very true. But guess what? This will be Hawk's 4th year and people won't be able to harp on that anymore because most of these players will be hawk's.

13-24 is s***y period. There were circumstances in year 1 and the injuries and youth got them last year but from here on out,no more excuses, youth,depth, barnett zip nada.

Stop trying to be a winner and WIN games, burn the zen books and the ho-hum attitude about losing and go out kick a$$ and get the program back where all of the buff family wants it :thumbsup:

Agree 100% with that last statement. It's time to stop talking about winning and start doing it. I can see plenty of reasons to think the program may very well be on the verge of doing just that. :thumbsup:

But since you say people won't be able to harp on the thin, weak depth chart DH inherited from GB now that the players are almost all Hawk's, does that mean that people can also quit harping on 13-24 and start looking at what Hawk does with his own players and not at that 2-10 debacle with GB's leftovers?

I would also ask if we can start looking at how many of Hawk's players were actually able to be on the field, but I'm not asking for miracles here.... :rolleyes:

Agree 100% with that last statement. It's time to stop talking about winning and start doing it. I can see plenty of reasons to think the program may very well be on the verge of doing just that. :thumbsup:

But since you say people won't be able to harp on the thin, weak depth chart DH inherited from GB now that the players are almost all Hawk's, does that mean that people can also quit harping on 13-24 and start looking at what Hawk does with his own players and not at that 2-10 debacle with GB's leftovers?

I would also ask if we can start looking at how many of Hawk's players were actually able to be on the field, but I'm not asking for miracles here.... :rolleyes:

Okay, his first 3 years don't count, all barnett's fault. 10 wins in 09 or he gets blasted by everyone and deservedly so. :smile2:

He had enough talent to not go 2-10. He had enough talent to not go 5-7 in year 3 after winning 6 games the previous year.. But i'll play along and erase the first 3 years and expect 10 wins and nothing less.

My how we can forget. This program was next to dead with sanctions and overall perception. Hawk has done a miracle in resurrecting CU football and now you want to get rid of him if he does not win 10 games. What is the lowest acceptable amount of wins that would keep him around? 6 or 7? Next year should be the year this talk should be around. The only thing he has not recruited is a QB and as stated earlier we haven't had one for years, why that is I don't know. But if one of these QB's on the roster now can step up I think the sky is the limit. Coach Mac supports him and I will follow suit. We are close, just keep the positive sh** rolling. :hippie:

A few points.

1. This program was on the verge of a complete collapse when Barney left. The record of the team that Hawk inherited from Barney does not accurately reflect the state that the program was in.

2. You cannot distinguish the careers of Hawk and Mac on the basis that Mac achieved something in year 9 that Hawk has not when Hawk is only in year 3.

3. "10 wins, no excuses." It's four words. It was not intended to be a proclamation. Get over it.

4. 1990 was 19 years ago.

5. Hawk still deserves our support. The talent has improved. People do not understand, or they easily forget, the obstacles that Hawk has had to overcome in this area: (a) a program on the decline (b) a program that was humiliated on and off the football field; (c) even parents of non-athletes were reluctant to send their kid to CU; (d) talent poor state; (e) fan support is poor. These obstacles are not impossible to overcome. I really believe that CU is one of the most desirable places to attend college in the world.

Hawk's record is not what concerns me. What concerns me is the product that I have seen on the field. It is a team without an identity on offense. Special teams have been unacceptable. The lack of execution on offense might be attributable youth and talent, or it might be attributable to poor coaching. I want to believe it is the former - I do recognize that it is hard to execute when you are completely overmatched by talent, experience and strength. Other than this area of concern, and it's a big one, Hawk has performed his duties very well. In my opinion, stability is what this program needs the most right now. We cannot afford to be impatient. Playing musical chairs with coaches will move us further away from the program that many of us are still clinging on to.

Last edited:
Jesus could not have recruited the 12 Disciples to CU in 2006. At a minimum, Hawk deserves to coach the 2008 class as juniors.

A few points.

1. This program was on the verge of a complete collapse when Barney left. The record of the team that Hawk inherited from Barney does not accurately reflect the state that the program was in.

2. You cannot distinguish the careers of Hawk and Mac on the basis that Mac achieved something in year 9 that Hawk has not when Hawk is only in year 3.

3. "10 wins, no excuses." It's four words. It was not intended to be a proclamation. Get over it.

5. Hawk still deserves our support. The talent has improved. People do not understand, or they easily forget, the obstacles that Hawk has had to overcome in this area: (a) a program on the decline (b) a program that was humiliated on and off the football field; (c) even parents of non-athletes were reluctant to send their kid to CU; (d) talent poor state; (e) fan support is poor. These obstacles are not impossible to overcome. I really believe that CU is one of the most desirable places to attend college in the world.

Hawk's record is not what concerns me. What concerns me is the product that I have seen on the field. It is a team without an identity on offense. Special teams have been unacceptable. The lack of execution on offense might be attributable youth and talent, or it might be attributable to poor coaching. I want to believe it is the former - I do recognize that it is hard to execute when you are completely overmatched by talent, experience and strength. Other than this area of concern, and it's a big one, Hawk has performed his duties very well. In my opinion, stability is what this program needs the most right now. We cannot afford to be impatient. Playing musical chairs with coaches will move us further away from the program that many of us are still clinging on to.

Great post!!!!

Don't dare question the mighty Hawk.:lol::lol:

Do you know what facilities we have? Recruiting restrictions we have had? Image we have had? Talent we have had? If this had gone down at Texas or USC, they would have struggled with their current coaches as well. In fact thats another big reason why Mac was so succesful then. OU, UT and USC were all down.

Do you know what facilities we have? Recruiting restrictions we have had? Image we have had? Talent we have had? If this had gone down at Texas or USC, they would have struggled with their current coaches as well. In fact thats another big reason why Mac was so succesful then. OU, UT and USC were all down.

No. You are the only one that knows everything about CU. How dare I suggest that Hawk should have a winning record in year four (which is really all I have ever said). Thanks for the standard "you don't know what you're talking about" response, it is pretty awesome.

I expect a good season this year, and suddenly that's some type of crime. Oh well.

Out of curiosity, when posters mention CU's talent is obviously improved, what exactly are they basing that on?

I'm not saying it hasn't improved, I'm just curious as to what others are basing that statement on.

No. You are the only one that knows everything about CU. How dare I suggest that Hawk should have a winning record in year four (which is really all I have ever said). Thanks for the standard "you don't know what you're talking about" response, it is pretty awesome.

I expect a good season this year, and suddenly that's some type of crime. Oh well.

:rolleyes:

My how we can forget. This program was next to dead with sanctions and overall perception. Hawk has done a miracle in resurrecting CU football and now you want to get rid of him if he does not win 10 games. What is the lowest acceptable amount of wins that would keep him around? 6 or 7? Next year should be the year this talk should be around. The only thing he has not recruited is a QB and as stated earlier we haven't had one for years, why that is I don't know. But if one of these QB's on the roster now can step up I think the sky is the limit. Coach Mac supports him and I will follow suit. We are close, just keep the positive sh** rolling. :hippie:

Here we go, here comes the " get rid of him" quotes when nobody said get rid of him. If you want to discuss this fine but don't start adding in quotes that aren't there. Get rid of him NO, WIN games yes. Stop talking, screw the zen BS and go out and win games.

No excuse to not have a winning season and bowl game in year 4. If that is too much to ask then this is all a joke. Ressurected the program? From a PR standpoint yes he did,he's done an awesome job but now it's time to Win football games, you know, what he's mostly here for.

I'm wanting 7-5 and a bowl win, is that too much? Anywhere else and you think 13-24 would fly with most fans? Hawk won't be gone in 2009 and I doubt bohn would ever fire him. Just win.

A few points.

When people stop wetting themselves when hawk predicts 10 wins and such, I'll stop holding him to it.

I assume people are over all the HAWKISMS? I thought all that zen s**t works.:lol:

I think Hawk will do better then last year but only marginally. Which is still good, I think ur headin in the right direction. I don't think you'll get 10 wins though.

I kinda want us both to get better than way we can beat the **** out of each other every year for the north and go tell Mizzou and Kansas to suck a nut and go back to being the mediocre programs they're used to.

I think Hawk will do better then last year but only marginally. Which is still good, I think ur headin in the right direction. I don't think you'll get 10 wins though.

I kinda want us both to get better than way we can beat the **** out of each other every year for the north and go tell Mizzou and Kansas to suck a nut and go back to being the mediocre programs they're used to.

I agree, the CU/NU game is alot better when the game means something other than the loser stays home for the holidays which has been the case 4 of the last 7 years. 2 for CU and 2 for NU. Plus, Mizzou, Ku and even KSU are annoying when they are on top.

I agree, the CU/NU game is alot better when the game means something other than the loser stays home for the holidays which has been the case 4 of the last 7 years. 2 for CU and 2 for NU. Plus, Mizzou, Ku and even KSU are annoying when they are on top.

Agreed. I don't think we'll do much better than last year either but Im keeping my fingers crossed. It's gonna take Pelini time but i think we have the right guy in the headset. I like what he's doing recruiting wise tho. Hell, another New Years day bowl that I can attend would be fan fukin tastic! I'd def be happy with that.

Anything can happen--better or worse--but typically when a team essentially brings back 10 of 11 starters on offense, much of the defense, and returns roughly 10 key players who were either suspended or injured, it improves more than "only marginally".

Our defensive line is the big question mark in my mind. But I suspect CU will field a team that is considerably better. I can't wait to find out.

Anything can happen--better or worse--but typically when a team essentially brings back 10 of 11 starters on offense, much of the defense, and returns roughly 10 key players who were either suspended or injured, it improves more than "only marginally".

Our defensive line is the big question mark in my mind. But I suspect CU will field a team that is considerably better. I can't wait to find out.

True....you guys have a relatively easier schedule this year too.

True....you guys have a relatively easier schedule this year too.

It's actually quite a bit easier. MU, KU, and NU at home as opposed to on the road, and swap out Florida State for Miami, OH. We get WVA in Morgantown without Pat White. Basically, all the crap that was working against us last year (i.e. injuries, schedule, suspensions), works in our favor this year.

It's actually quite a bit easier. MU, KU, and NU at home as opposed to on the road, and swap out Florida State for Miami, OH. We get WVA in Morgantown without Pat White. Basically, all the crap that was working against us last year (i.e. injuries, schedule, suspensions), works in our favor this year.

Let's ****ing hope we don't have the same injury bug this year.

No ****! If we do then I will really question the strength and conditioning program. BTW, I will not use injuries or anything for excuses for not winning next year, 7+ wins no excuses for me.

Even if we do, we're better equipped to deal with it this year. Unless we get killed along the D-Line. That's still an area of concern, depth wise. I'd love to redshirt Kasa and Nuckols, but I doubt we're able to.

Both will be seeing major playing time as true freshmen. Potentially Nate Bonsu as well.

I suspect you're right, but I'd love to see Herrod and Obi, Pericak and Shields step up and allow Kasa to redshirt. The official roster lists Pericak at DE, so I guess that's where they want him to be. That seems like a good spot to me. There was talk about him moving to DT, which I think would not suit his talents.
As for Nuckols, I think it's very likely he plays this year. But if Goree and Cunningham can provide some stability there, one can always hope.

I suspect you're right, but I'd love to see Herrod and Obi, Pericak and Shields step up and allow Kasa to redshirt. The official roster lists Pericak at DE, so I guess that's where they want him to be. That seems like a good spot to me. There was talk about him moving to DT, which I think would not suit his talents.
As for Nuckols, I think it's very likely he plays this year. But if Goree and Cunningham can provide some stability there, one can always hope.

If the returning DEs step up and that allows us to redshirt Kasa, it's all good as far I'm concerned. I just don't know if that is realistic. Should be interesting to watch. I understand the desire to redshirt Kasa though.

Nuckols or Bonsu (whom everyone forgets) are likely to play simply out of necessity. We just don't have a lot of bodies there. Wouldn't be surprised if both played. They will both be big enough to make an impact right away.

Back