What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Fall camp position battles

You also are asking a defensive starter to expend a lot of extra energy running the ball back. Unless he is the absolute best on the team at securing the ball, I think you put someone back there.
The only piece of this that is a little different is he would be doing it as a defensive series ends, return the punt, then go rest. A little different than an offensive starter doing it as his group's series is starting.

What happened to Donovan Lee last year? He flashed in 2015, then was barely mop up duty in 2016. Was he in the doghouse, hurt, or just passed over because of something else?

What happened to Donovan Lee last year? He flashed in 2015, then was barely mop up duty in 2016. Was he in the doghouse, hurt, or just passed over because of something else?

Yeah, I was really disappointed with him last year. When he initially made the move over to RB, he looked really good. Like, good enough to be the future there.

Yeah, I was really disappointed with him last year. When he initially made the move over to RB, he looked really good. Like, good enough to be the future there.

I don't think a guy that small is ever going to be 'the' future at that position.

I don't think a guy that small is ever going to be 'the' future at that position.

idk, stewart was pretty small. lindsey is kinda small too.
That was just the impression I got from his first few games though. He made the switch and looked better than all the other running backs. He seemed to have more shake and better hands than our other backs. I thought that he'd get better and take over from there. Guess not.

To me, Lee flashed a few years ago because he was one of the better natural athletes and talents on the team. A lot has changed in that department over the past few years.

idk, stewart was pretty small. lindsey is kinda small too.
That was just the impression I got from his first few games though. He made the switch and looked better than all the other running backs. He seemed to have more shake and better hands than our other backs. I thought that he'd get better and take over from there. Guess not.

Big difference between small and short. Stewart and Lindsay are both short and may weigh less than the idea but neither one of them is "small." Lee is not only short but he also lacks the muscle development of the other two, he has quickness and speed but is much easier to pull down.

To me, Lee flashed a few years ago because he was one of the better natural athletes and talents on the team. A lot has changed in that department over the past few years.

The real reason we aren't seeing much of him. Now we have guys who are as good athletically but are better football players.

I'd still like to see him get a chance to contribute some, seems like a really good kid, but with the current roster we no longer have to look to find explosiveness.

Lee got in the dog house with Hagen, and it had to do with pass blocking and doing the little things.

Lee's stats in 2015 had him as a clear #1 rusher in most of the key statistical categories including YPC, and he did that against the tougher competition of in-conference play.

Lee got in the dog house with Hagen, and it had to do with pass blocking and doing the little things.

Lee's stats in 2015 had him as a clear #1 rusher in most of the key statistical categories including YPC, and he did that against the tougher competition of in-conference play.
He nearly got Sefo killed a few times, and after the 2d or 3d time, he was out of the rotation.

He nearly got Sefo killed a few times, and after the 2d or 3d time, he was out of the rotation.
I wondered if it wasn't something like this - I sort of remember it, but hey, I'm getting old!

Not sure this is the appropriate thread, but us fans often forget how key blocking is to the position of RB. In our offense, that extends to WR positions.

I'm not sure I've seen a better blocking WR unit in CFB recently. And conversely, our DBs are as good as it gets in getting off blocks. That, to me, was the big story in 2016. We were dominant on both sides of this coin.

I know that how DBs get off blocks and "contain" on these spread teams is something HCMM brought with him and has personally been involved with scheming and coaching, well before Leavitt got here. Conversely, how our WR's block took a huge stride forward when Chev arrived. I doubt that is a statistical anomaly. This is something Coach Mac talked a lot about in his first few years and now he has units on both side that dominate in this department.

Not sure this is the appropriate thread, but us fans often forget how key blocking is to the position of RB. In our offense, that extends to WR positions.

I'm not sure I've seen a better blocking WR unit in CFB recently. And conversely, our DBs are as good as it gets in getting off blocks. That, to me, was the big story in 2016. We were dominant on both sides of this coin.

I know that how DBs get off blocks and "contain" on these spread teams is something HCMM brought with him and has personally been involved with scheming and coaching, well before Leavitt got here. Conversely, how our WR's block took a huge stride forward when Chev arrived. I doubt that is a statistical anomaly. This is something Coach Mac talked a lot about in his first few years and now he has units on both side that dominate in this department.
I can think of multiple TDs last year that came on quick hitters that only happened because of good WR blocks. Without those blocks it's a 1-3 yard gain. This offense doesn't work without those kinds of WRs.

OLB now more interesting as well. Will be watching this and DL most closely from camp. Via cubuffs.com anyways since they will be the only ones at practices except for the 1...

I am interested in seeing how Van Diest does in camp. If the measurables of 6'1" 235lbs are legit, he bigger than Lewis and (probably) more athletic than Gamboa. If he can grasp the mental side of it quickly, I think he could easily be in the conversation at ILB.

after looking we are REALLY thin on the inside...didn't really realize just how thin. Almost all freshmen. Someone will be playing early. Van Diest ready? Move someone inside? Might be Beau's best chance to see the field.

OLB now more interesting as well. Will be watching this and DL most closely from camp. Via cubuffs.com anyways since they will be the only ones at practices except for the 1...

Yeah, who backs up McCartney and who plays the other LB spot when the buffbacker is not on the field (like against USC and Washington)?

Excited to see Lewis get more time. I think he can be a gamer
Should be a stud. With the news that Falo is leaving though it would be nice if Bish would make a move over to ILB and move a guy like Carson Wells to OLB with Sparaco to backup DMac and Hasselbach. Landman could be the fourth ILB in that situation which would be nice instead of making him the backup.

Landman and Van Diest are going to see the field a lot this year. I hope they're fast learners.

I am interested in seeing how Van Diest does in camp. If the measurables of 6'1" 235lbs are legit, he bigger than Lewis and (probably) more athletic than Gamboa. If he can grasp the mental side of it quickly, I think he could easily be in the conversation at ILB.

No one is going to push Butkus favorite Rick Gamboa.

Should be a stud. With the news that Falo is leaving though it would be nice if Bish would make a move over to ILB and move a guy like Carson Wells to OLB with Sparaco to backup DMac and Hasselbach. Landman could be the fourth ILB in that situation which would be nice instead of making him the backup.

IF Fotenot shows up big in camp we do also have D Lee and Adkins to back up Phil. Add in Evans as the proper #2 midway through camp and maybe we can get a look at Bish playing LB? I doubt it with RB depth being a concern, but RB depth looking a hell of a lot more solid than LB...

With the news that our OL guys that were out are now good to go for fall camp, I'm focused like a laser beam on the front 7, and especially OLB. Against any sort of power running team, we have zero depth there. It's Derek McCartney and ?????????????????????????? at OLB.

With the news that our OL guys that were out are now good to go for fall camp, I'm focused like a laser beam on the front 7, and especially OLB. Against any sort of power running team, we have zero depth there. It's Derek McCartney and ?????????????????????????? at OLB.
Some young players, but not as scary as past years. I would have no issue with Sparaco and Wells seeing the field this year, they are grown men and provide more size/power against power teams than Falo provided.

Don't forget about Akil Jones on the inside. Saw that dude at the spring game up close and he's a big boy. I imagine he would be more ready to play then any of the true freshman. If they can stay healthy at LB I think they will be good. Just can't afford multiple injuries to that position group.

Don't forget about Akil Jones on the inside. Saw that dude at the spring game up close and he's a big boy. I imagine he would be more ready to play then any of the true freshman. If they can stay healthy at LB I think they will be good. Just can't afford multiple injuries to that position group.
Physical tools are there.

Back