What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Fall camp position battles

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
You'd think that with so many productive seniors having graduated that there would be a lot more questions heading into this season. I'm doing a position group rundown and was surprised at how much we know.

QB - will Lytle challenge Noyer for QB2? can Marksberry emerge from the walkons and allow Lytle to redshirt?
RB - will Adkins or Bisharat emerge as RB2? Might Fontenot take that job?
WR - will Bobo hold off Winfree? Will Ento choose to redshirt so he can start in 2018? Will a freshman emerge?
TE - will Bounds or Keeney win the TE1 job? Could Poplawski get into this mix?
OL - will Miller and Kaiser earn primary backup roles at OT & OG? Could Tonz get into the OG competition? Will a freshman or less talked about veteran emerge?
NT - is Tuiloma ready to backup Edwards? How much will Franke play in this spot?
DE - is Umu ready to start opposite Jackson? Will Frazier emerge after the position switch? Can Coleman give more game snaps? Is Roberts ready to join the rotation? Will the light go on for Mulumba?
OLB - how far up the depth chart behind McCartney can Sparaco move with Falo and Hasselbach returning at OLB? will we see Hamilton and Callier this year? Bennion? Mathewes?
ILB - who will emerge to provide depth behind the starting duo of Gambo and Lewis? will Jones figure it out? will Headley be the senior walkon surprise? Could one or more freshmen (Van Diest, Landman, Newman) provide the needed depth?
Buff - will Worthington (nee White) challenge Moeller for his starting spot? could someone like Fo factor in here?
Nickel - who is our best option as the 3rd corner to play close to the line of scrimmage? Is it Blackmon? Julmisse? Wigley? someone else?
CB - who wins the CB2 job opposite Oliver? Does Udoffia continue his spring emergence and lock down the job? Does Julmisse take it away? Does it click for Wigley? Are George or Miller immediately ready for prime time? Rakestraw after the position switch?
S - after Fo and Fisher, who provides primary depth? Worthington? Moeller? Wigley? Julmisse? Could Isaiah Lewis be ready as a true frosh? Trego or Sanchez?
P - will Kinney rebound from a sophomore slump and realize his talent?
K - will Stefanou win the job or will it be back to Graham or Price? who kicks off?
PR - will Oliver give up these duties? If so, are we looking at Blackmon? Julmisse? Nixon? MacIntyre?
KR - different than the PR group? Maybe a RB like Adkins, Bisharat or Lee?
Other - which defensive coach will be in the booth? which players redshirt?

Last edited:
Does anyone have a good feel for what OL group #1 is anticipated to be? We have to replace Kelly, and there is talk of Irwin sliding into OG. Does that happen? Is there anyone else on the team who can step in and be a serviceable PAC 12 LT?

good list. I think you need to add to OL though - Will Miller get a starting job and push Irwin inside?

Does anyone have a good feel for what OL group #1 is anticipated to be? We have to replace Kelly, and there is talk of Irwin sliding into OG. Does that happen? Is there anyone else on the team who can step in and be a serviceable PAC 12 LT?

The hype on Miller will be there in fall camp.

I think the idea of moving Irwin inside to improve his draft stock (????) is inherently flawed IMO. Irwin at LT should be the desired outcome.

LT: Irwin
LG: Kough
C: Huckins
RG: Lynott
RT: Haigler

good list. I think you need to add to OL though - Will Miller get a starting job and push Irwin inside?
Much more likely scenario is that if there is an injury to a starter on the interior of the OL, would Adams decide his 5 best means that Miller starts at LT and Irwin slides inside?

Need some depth in the front seven to emerge. Clear weakness on the team.
Completely agree. We very well could be looking at some starting changes from the beginning of the year to the end. Think there is some talent there, but very raw and inexperienced.

I don't feel there is hype in Miller. If he forces Irwin inside it's simply because Irwin has the flexibility to do that AND to that is our best lineup. We will see, but even that depends on health. No doubt, we will have to have depth.

Completely agree. We very well could be looking at some starting changes from the beginning of the year to the end. Think there is some talent there, but very raw and inexperienced.

Need to really get stuff sorted out and hopefully graduate some fourth year juniors out of the program who do not really fit the 3-4.

I don't feel there is hype in Miller. If he forces Irwin inside it's simply because Irwin has the flexibility to do that AND to that is our best lineup. We will see, but even that depends on health. No doubt, we will have to have depth.

MacIntyre has given him some pretty high praise. I think him being the heir apparent at left tackle is the desired outcome. That would leave some spirited battles at LG and C in 2018.

Speaking of NB, Nik mentioned Julimsee, Blackmon, and Wigley.

A good question is does the NB need to be the best playmaker out of the secondary like Awuzie last season? I'm thinking that could fit Julimsee but that is me speaking since I haven't seen videos of Blackmon or Wigley from the spring game this year.

At CB, does Abrams take a starting job away from someone during the season, and if not, do you redshirt him so you can have him for two full seasons later on?

I'd be genuinely interested to know just how often punt returners get hurt.

More worried about kickoffs than punts. I'm fine with Oliver returning punts. Put me in the Nixon for kickoffs group.

Well, our primary one (JMac) got hurt doing it last year. The point is, it's just not worth the risk, when you're talking about one of your premier players, unless you're just asking him to safely fair catch.

Unless KD is just that electric with the ball in his hands, to the point where they are basically forced to use him in certain packages on offense, as well as KR, I'd rather see him Redshirt.

my biggest question for fall camp is how the defense comes together, staff and players. the treacherous leavitt was a force. and we lost a bunch of guys to the league.

my biggest question for fall camp is how the defense comes together, staff and players. the treacherous leavitt was a force.
I'm more concerned about the coaching changes than I am about the players stepping no into starting roles. The players are ready. Will they be properly prepared and motivated?

You also are asking a defensive starter to expend a lot of extra energy running the ball back. Unless he is the absolute best on the team at securing the ball, I think you put someone back there.

In-game defensive adjustments and playcalling are the areas to watch. We know the scheme is solid, but we lost the guys who were in charge of those two aspects. I would think Mac is going to be a little more hands-on this year, specifically with in-game adjustments.

Punt return is something that can get you hurt but it's no different than any other position on the field. However, when it's solo back, it's harder. Having a upback with you makes it easier because then all you gotta do is track the ball. It's not an easy job regardless really. Kick-off return was much easier imho. That's just me though with my experience with it. As far as who on CU returns, no idea, I'd have to see it first. I'm thinking it'll be more situation based than anything, more than one guy.

I'm more concerned about the coaching changes than I am about the players stepping no into starting roles. The players are ready. Will they be properly prepared and motivated?
I disagree.
If the 2016 defensive staff had returned without change, I'd be expecting a significant drop off this year. The big concern is the number of players in this defense who are new to their roles in 2017.

Back