What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

February 6th Signing Day Big Board & Recruiting News

I thought the NCAA removed that power from Schools?

The schools can't control a kid from transferring to another school outside their conference but the conferences can still allow the schools to limit transfers within the conference.

Well, he throws fuel on the fire that the offense got changed in some way against his wishes after things started to go south. Doesn't really counteract the other issues we saw like other teams knowing what we were going to run as well as whatever those first two quarters in Berkeley were.

Well, he throws fuel on the fire that the offense got changed in some way against his wishes after things started to go south. Doesn't really counteract the other issues we saw like other teams knowing what we were going to run as well as whatever those first two quarters in Berkeley were.

Went with the patented injuries excuse though.

Chev will be gone soon. I wouldn't be surprised if it's only after 1 year with Tucker
That's kinda what I got out of it too. Sounds like he doesn't like the demotion and Curtis had a big influence on him staying, both of which are understandable. Bummer.

Haven't read it yet, but I've always felt like Chev, Hagan and Els were all kept because they've shown to be competent recruiters, particularly Chev, and have ties to the traditional foot print and could really help the new staff transition and create relationships there. Not to mention the salaries they are saving by keeping them on. Definitely wouldn't be surprised if all 3 of them were elsewhere in 2020.

I did not come away from reading that interview with a sense that Chev will be gone soon. Not at all. He is obviously down about not being the OC and he wants to do that again some day, but that is to be expected. Chev likes HCMT, loves being part of building something in Colorado, and wants to stay to see not only his son graduate, but all of the kids he has recruited too. If he stops recruiting now, that is still 4 years away. If this staff has good chemistry and CU has some success, I can see Chev staying for a while.

I did not come away from reading that interview with a sense that Chev will be gone soon. Not at all. He is obviously down about not being the OC and he wants to do that again some day, but that is to be expected. Chev likes HCMT, loves being part of building something in Colorado, and wants to stay to see not only his son graduate, but all of the kids he has recruited too. If he stops recruiting now, that is still 4 years away. If this staff has good chemistry and CU has some success, I can see Chev staying for a while.

I'm not going to speculate on Chev's intentions to stay or HCMT's desire to keep him long term.

Chev does love Colorado though, he wants to live here and having his son in school where he works is a bonus.

From a career standpoint working with MT could be a big positive. Chev has mainly worked in an Air Raid system. Spending time in an offense based on the Georgia system would give him a big plus in terms of potential flexibility.

I'm not going to speculate on Chev's intentions to stay or HCMT's desire to keep him long term.

Chev does love Colorado though, he wants to live here and having his son in school where he works is a bonus.

From a career standpoint working with MT could be a big positive. Chev has mainly worked in an Air Raid system. Spending time in an offense based on the Georgia system would give him a big plus in terms of potential flexibility.
I don't think it's going to be based off Georgia's system. Jim Chaney who was running that system was one of the last solid pro-style offensive guys to be coaching that type of offense and put up good numbers. Jay Johnson didn't run a pro-style offense at his previous OC stops and I don't think Tucker is going to force JJ's hand one way or the other.

I don't think it's going to be based off Georgia's system. Jim Chaney who was running that system was one of the last solid pro-style offensive guys to be coaching that type of offense and put up good numbers. Jay Johnson didn't run a pro-style offense at his previous OC stops and I don't think Tucker is going to force JJ's hand one way or the other.

You are probably right on this but it most certainly is not going to be based on Air Raid concepts. Pending of course finding some linemen who can actually block for it I think that MT is going to insist on an offense that runs the ball physically enough to dictate the defense respecting it.

What’s the offense called where most plays are out of the Pistol with heavy emphasis on RPO and Zone Read?
Well the pistol itself was created out of the desire to create a hybrid of pro style and spread (not to be confused with air raid) offenses. I’m not some pistol guru but the coaches that typically adopted the pistol wanted to be slightly more run focused than spread offenses. Think like 55/45 run pass balance originally, but with the advent of the RPO, coaches call “Run plays” 65% of the time. But with the QB making the right decision that will level out. My guess is CU sits right around a 50/50 balance with Jay Johnson, but who knows.

Well the pistol itself was created out of the desire to create a hybrid of pro style and spread (not to be confused with air raid) offenses. I’m not some pistol guru but the coaches that typically adopted the pistol wanted to be slightly more run focused than spread offenses. Think like 55/45 run pass balance originally, but with the advent of the RPO, coaches call “Run plays” 65% of the time. But with the QB making the right decision that will level out. My guess is CU sits right around a 50/50 balance with Jay Johnson, but who knows.
Funny thing is that this is pretty much the offense that Lindgren was bringing from SJSU we didn't get that here. His SJSU offense ran the ball a lot, used a ton of RPO and the TEs put up big numbers. Sefo started out running the offense from pistol formation. Somehow that morphed into emphasizing pace of play with the QB in shotgun to best survey the defense pre-snap and the OL being about finesse blocking & cardio instead of about going forward & power.

Funny thing is that this is pretty much the offense that Lindgren was bringing from SJSU we didn't get that here. His SJSU offense ran the ball a lot, used a ton of RPO and the TEs put up big numbers. Sefo started out running the offense from pistol formation. Somehow that morphed into emphasizing pace of play with the QB in shotgun to best survey the defense pre-snap and the OL being about finesse blocking & cardio instead of about going forward & power.
I completely forgot that we had pistol sets initially since it was removed so quickly.

I don't recall it ever actually being a thing here. We expected to see it, but did we?
Like I believe it was mentioned in practice reports and I think the very first CSU game we saw it a few times and that was it.

Back