What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

February 6th Signing Day Big Board & Recruiting News

Loving this one! Project who has the size and athleticism to go from a PWO to a scholarship player. Played very good HS competition, too.

Jonathon Williams, Chandler HS
6'8" 295 lbs OT
Only 3 reps at 185 on the bench press, so not someone who has been trained and was actually more of a basketball player. Could really turn into something once he's in the CU strength, conditioning and nutrition program.

Loving this one! Project who has the size and athleticism to go from a PWO to a scholarship player. Played very good HS competition, too.

Jonathon Williams, Chandler HS
6'8" 295 lbs OT
Only 3 reps at 185 on the bench press, so not someone who has been trained and was actually more of a basketball player. Could really turn into something once he's in the CU strength, conditioning and nutrition program.

Very interesting.

Usually basketball players are at least decent with their feet so if as you say he can build strength in S&C we he could be a find.

There is an article in the Post that is pretty critical of CU’s in state recruiting. Some of it focused on the recruitment, or lack of it, of Kain Medrano. Apparently Chiavarini slow played him and he opted for UCLA.

Early on, Tucker is at least saying things will change. We will see. I think local writers also may tend to over value in state players. Just because a kid is a top 10 in state recruit does not mean he is a P5 level player. If CU has, say, 15 scholarships, I sure as hell don’t want 10 going to Colorado kids.

If Kain Medrano was their primary example, they're stupid. His only P5 offer was fUCLA. Plenty of other head scratchers recently, though. Either not going hard after some or apparently not offering kids with several big offer is what I didn't like about the last staff. Wildman, a 4* went to the nubs, another DL just signed with the ducks, Lynn is may we'll be better than a couple OL in this class, the kid who started TE as a freshman at VT(?) last season, and the RB starring at Wazzu could have ben a Buff.

That's off the top of my head in the past two years. Even when we get to the level we hope for, most of those kids would at least be great second tier recruits. The self-loathing for in-state kids is silly and illogical on several levels, so is the recurring argument that the state only puts out 3-5 P5 takes a year.

If Kain Medrano was their primary example, they're stupid. His only P5 offer was fUCLA. Plenty of other head scratchers recently, though. Either not going hard after some or apparently not offering kids with several big offer is what I didn't like about the last staff. Wildman, a 4* went to the nubs, another DL just signed with the ducks, Lynn is may we'll be better than a couple OL in this class, the kid who started TE as a freshman at VT(?) last season, and the RB starring at Wazzu could have ben a Buff.

That's off the top of my head in the past two years. Even when we get to the level we hope for, most of those kids would at least be great second tier recruits. The self-loathing for in-state kids is silly and illogical on several levels, so is the recurring argument that the state only puts out 3-5 P5 takes a year.
The piece built the theme around Medrano and then touched on Wildeman, Borghi, Barrett Miller and, of course, the McCaffery’s. It also included the go to interview with McChesney. Miller wasn’t going to be a Buff no matter how hard he was recruited.

It is not self-loathing anymore than it is some fans love to overrate in-state kids. Realistically, there are probably 6-8 legitimate P5 prospects in a given year in CO (some years less and some years a bit more) and the back end of that group is usually borderline. It cannot be the primary base for talent if CU wants to win big.

It is not self-loathing anymore than it is some fans love to overrate in-state kids. Realistically, there are probably 6-8 legitimate P5 prospects in a given year in CO (some years less and some years a bit more) and the back end of that group is usually borderline. It cannot be the primary base for talent if CU wants to win big.
Right. Because even if CU does an outstanding recruiting job in-state, we're only going to land half of the guys we would want. That means that 20 guys are being recruited from somewhere else.

People are so stupid. CSU and whyoming don't even focus on Colorado recruiting as mush as these hacks suggest we should. How difficult is it to do math? Then toss in guys like the legacy nubs and McCaffrey's to further the narrative. Journalism school teaching to the lowest common denominator I guess.

People are so stupid. CSU and whyoming don't even focus on Colorado recruiting as mush as these hacks suggest we should. How difficult is it to do math? Then toss in guys like the legacy nubs and McCaffrey's to further the narrative. Journalism school teaching to the lowest common denominator I guess.

There is a balance to be struck in this conversation because there are valid criticisms to be made of MM's efforts in Colorado. The Borghi saga, not offering Wildeman/Townsend, etc.

But never take McChesney's word as gospel either.

Let me preface this by saying the DP is trash and will never see my clicks. Also, this state shouldn’t be a top 5 priority.

Still, there’s 21 players from Colorado who have been on NFL rosters in the last 2 years. 2 of them went to CU: Solder & Lindsay. That’s a terrible ratio especially when 3 of them went D2 to CSU-Pueblo and Western State. 4 went to Wyoming.

Let me preface this by saying the DP is trash and will never see my clicks. Also, this state shouldn’t be a top 5 priority.

Still, there’s 21 players from Colorado who have been on NFL rosters in the last 2 years. 2 of them went to CU: Solder & Lindsay. That’s a terrible ratio especially when 3 of them went D2 to CSU-Pueblo and Western State. 4 went to Wyoming.
I will counter and say who cares about NFL rosters? Some guys are good to great COLLEGE players and that’s what we need at CU. I’d its 5 guys from CO in one cycle and 2 from the next, so be it. Just bring in guys who will help this team.

We seem to have whiffed on the so many strong in-state OL classes in the past ten years, but when was the last time a recruit could view the track record of at the OL coach as a PLUS for CU? I'm eager to see if coach Cap can impact our OL recruiting, particularly in-state.

I thought CU dumped the Journalism School and replaced it with something like a certificate in blogging?

So in terms of national headlines. Florida, Auburn, LSU, Clemson and Bama appear like they are going to close well. Washington looks like they should close on a couple guys to close the gap with Oregon for top class in the conference. USC will pick up a couple of guys per usual too.

Back