What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Final Playoff Rankings Thread

Who should be the last one in?

• Alabama

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • Ohio State

Votes: 19 23.5%
  • USC

Votes: 22 27.2%
  • UCF

Votes: 13 16.0%

• Total voters
This is a huge point.

It's one thing if you schedule like Georgia with its 4 non-conference games. They played Notre Dame and the Georgia Tech rivalry game plus App State and Samford. Two P5s, a quality G5 and an FCS is a reasonable schedule. They've played 10 games against P5 competition in the regular season.

Alabama? They played Florida State (which turned out to be very mediocre this year, but I don't hold that against Bama). After that, it's 2 G5 teams at home and an FCS home game. They've only played 9 games against P5 competition.

So let's compare Alabama with its 9 P5 opponents vs Ohio State and USC. I think this is a HUGE point when comparing 1 loss to 2 losses.

Ohio State: Oklahoma plus 2 G5s in its non-conference + 9 Big Ten games. Then a conference championship. They've played 11 real games.

USC: Texas and Notre Dame plus 1 G5 in its non-conference + 9 Pac-12 games. Then a conference championship. They've played 12 real games.

That has to matter for the same reasons that the committee was penalizing Wisconsin for its schedule (3 G5s so they only played 9 real games - same as Alabama). But Wisconsin played a 10th in its conference championship. If we're going to play the Alabama argument, Wisconsin should be the 4th team in since they went 9-1 in real games as opposed to Alabama's 8-1. Wins over Northwestern, Iowa and Michigan are as good as wins over Florida State, LSU and Mississippi State, then Wisconsin was more competitive in its Ohio State loss than Alabama was in its Auburn loss.

I really don't know what Alabama's argument is.
Yes I honestly believe the real discussion is between usc and Ohio State, but usc just doesn’t have the quality too 25 wins and their schedule is the only thing that is keeping them in the debate. It’s like what I saw last night, if usc has schedule Mercer instead of Notre Dame would there even be a discussion today?

This is a huge point.

It's one thing if you schedule like Georgia with its 4 non-conference games. They played Notre Dame and the Georgia Tech rivalry game plus App State and Samford. Two P5s, a quality G5 and an FCS is a reasonable schedule. They've played 10 games against P5 competition in the regular season.

Alabama? They played Florida State (which turned out to be very mediocre this year, but I don't hold that against Bama). After that, it's 2 G5 teams at home and an FCS home game. They've only played 9 games against P5 competition.

So let's compare Alabama with its 9 P5 opponents vs Ohio State and USC. I think this is a HUGE point when comparing 1 loss to 2 losses.

Ohio State: Oklahoma plus 2 G5s in its non-conference + 9 Big Ten games. Then a conference championship. They've played 11 real games.

USC: Texas and Notre Dame plus 1 G5 in its non-conference + 9 Pac-12 games. Then a conference championship. They've played 12 real games.

That has to matter for the same reasons that the committee was penalizing Wisconsin for its schedule (3 G5s so they only played 9 real games - same as Alabama). But Wisconsin played a 10th in its conference championship. If we're going to play the Alabama argument, Wisconsin should be the 4th team in since they went 9-1 in real games as opposed to Alabama's 8-1. Wins over Northwestern, Iowa and Michigan are as good as wins over Florida State, LSU and Mississippi State, then Wisconsin was more competitive in its Ohio State loss than Alabama was in its Auburn loss.

I really don't know what Alabama's argument is.
Hold on, one of those G5 teams on Alabama's schedule that you're discounting was a top 25 team at least until yesterday (Fresno State). Playing 6-6 Texas is a "real" game, but playing a 9-win Fresno State team that was a top 25 program the last week of the season isn't?

Like the committee has said, it's about the best teams getting in. Bama is the better team and would be favored over those last 3.

Hold on, one of those G5 teams on Alabama's schedule that you're discounting was a top 25 team at least until yesterday (Fresno State). Playing 6-6 Texas is a "real" game, but playing a 9-win Fresno State team that was a top 25 program the last week of the season isn't?
Yes. Fresno State has a win over Boise State, but lost the rematch. They have no wins over P5 teams. They lost to frikin UNLV... at home. They're a 9-4 team that got rolled at Washington worse than Alabama beat them. I don't care at all that Alabama beat them. USC's 1 G5 opponent had the talent to almost win a NY6 bowl last season. Ohio State destroyed the UNLV team that Fresno State lost to and also beat an Army team that finished 8-3. Wisconsin beat an FAU team that finished 10-3.

I give zero ****s about any of those wins and I'm treating G5 opponents the same. There's no reason to go down the road of splitting those hairs.

Alabama should have played more than 9 games if it wanted to be able to lose.
Georgia's schedule is no better than Alabama's, but because their division was terrible they got an extra game.

In a season where it looks like every team in the playoff will have at least 1 loss I don't see how you penalize Alabama more than anyone else for losing once.

The committee also needs to send a huge a message to the SEC that the 8 game conference schedule and these bull**** late season fcs games need to be addressed.
This!!!!
It is time the SEC pay for their weak scheduling tactics. Alabama only beat 10 fbs opponents and 8 P5 opponents and 8 conference games this year. I hope that keeps them out and the committee says so.

Last edited:
Georgia's schedule is no better than Alabama's, but because their division was terrible they got an extra game.

In a season where it looks like every team in the playoff will have at least 1 loss I don't see how you penalize Alabama more than anyone else for losing once.
Georgia played Notre Dame and Georgia Tech in the non-conference.

When you play 8 conference games, you need to schedule more than 1 P5 opponent in your non-conference or you end up with the equivalent of CU's schedule. You play a schedule like that you need to go undefeated... which is Wisconsin's situation. Why isn't it Alabama's situation?

I think Bama will get in. Just expand the playoff format a bit and there wont be as much bitching probably.

P.S. If the number of games against P5 competition and the grind of a season don't matter, then UCF should be the 4th team. It's an obvious choice if your only criteria is going to be record and eyeball test in its wins.
I am completely okay with that.

Like the committee has said, it's about the best teams getting in. Bama is the better team and would be favored over those last 3.
Based on what? The eyeball test? To me, there is little objective evidence that favors Alabama; simply, their schedule was ****.

I've heard the argument of last year's Ohio State as reason to select Alabama, but the argument then was between two B1G teams. Also, 2016 Ohio State had a tremendous schedule and quality wins. I am not a fan of two teams from the same conference in a four-team playoff if that second team is not obviously superior.

Yes. Fresno State has a win over Boise State, but lost the rematch. They have no wins over P5 teams. They lost to frikin UNLV... at home. They're a 9-4 team that got rolled at Washington worse than Alabama beat them. I don't care at all that Alabama beat them. USC's 1 G5 opponent had the talent to almost win a NY6 bowl last season. Ohio State destroyed the UNLV team that Fresno State lost to and also beat an Army team that finished 8-3. Wisconsin beat an FAU team that finished 10-3.

I give zero ****s about any of those wins and I'm treating G5 opponents the same. There's no reason to go down the road of splitting those hairs.
If you want to play that game, Fresno also beat SDSU who beat ASU and Stanford - teams who beat Notre Dame and Washington twice. Fresno was nothing special, but they were just as good a win as beating a 6-6 Texas team at least to me.

I'm just surprised that people can look past Ohio State having 2 really ugly losses. That Iowa loss is worse than any other loss by any of the teams we're talking about. It would be bad enough if it was their only loss but it wasn't. I'd put UCF in ahead of Ohio State.

If you want to play that game, Fresno also beat SDSU who beat ASU and Stanford - teams who beat Notre Dame and Washington twice. Fresno was nothing special, but they were just as good a win as beating a 6-6 Texas team at least to me.

I'm just surprised that people can look past Ohio State having 2 really ugly losses. That Iowa loss is worse than any other loss by any of the teams we're talking about. It would be bad enough if it was their only loss but it wasn't. I'd put UCF in ahead of Ohio State.
If we're going with bad losses and the issue of 2-loss teams as exclusionary, I'm with you. Any other year it would be a killer.

But the solution in that situation is to put Wisconsin in instead of Alabama. 12 wins is better than 11 wins if we're talking about 1-loss teams from a P5 conference that played 3 games below P5 level and didn't beat anyone in the Top 15.

Having to split those kinds of hairs means that the discussion is already over. As Nik said, look at all G5's as the same (within reason) and be done with it.

My question is, if Bama had to play Georgia (or another P5 opponent) in week 11, instead of Mercer, do they still have only 1 loss? The tide were losing steam there at the end. Almost lost to Miss St. had a breather against Mercer, then lost to Auburn who ended up with three losses. Alabama may have started the season as the best team in the country, but the injuries have piled up on the defensive side and they are not as good anymore.

That's not the game I'm playing. I'm saying that a win over a G5 team means nothing to me except under very rare circumstances.

Georgia played Notre Dame and Georgia Tech in the non-conference.

When you play 8 conference games, you need to schedule more than 1 P5 opponent in your non-conference or you end up with the equivalent of CU's schedule. You play a schedule like that you need to go undefeated... which is Wisconsin's situation. Why isn't it Alabama's situation?
Come on, Wisconsin's schedule was so much worse than Alabama's and you know it. They managed to miss Ohio State, Michigan State a and Penn State on their schedule (until the CCG), but even they took care of business against Iowa.

Is it better to bitch about $EC scheduling or just copy it?

Iowa put up 55 on osu.

1. Clemson
4. Bama

2. OU
3. Georgia

Come on, Wisconsin's schedule was so much worse than Alabama's and you know it. They managed to miss Ohio State, Michigan State a and Penn State on their schedule (until the CCG), but even they took care of business against Iowa.
Do you think that beating LSU, Mississippi State and Florida State this season is different than beating Northwestern, Iowa and Michigan?

Is it better to bitch about $EC scheduling or just copy it?

Iowa put up 55 on osu.

1. Clemson
4. Bama

2. OU
3. Georgia
No, the more conference games the better. It’s even worse in the sec since they have an automatic cross divisional rivalry game so 7 of your 8 conference game are locked in every year, it’s almost like they aren’t in the same conference.

Here's what I think is the simplest and best argument against Alabama and it strongly favors Ohio State:

I think Bama will get in. Just expand the playoff format a bit and there wont be as much bitching probably.
7 of the top 8 teams played in essentially play in games last night, not sure I see any validity in expansion at this point.

Do you think that beating LSU, Mississippi State and Florida State this season is different than beating Northwestern, Iowa and Michigan?
Absolutely, are you serious? Don't forget, FSU still had their starting QB in that Alabama game. He went down in the 4th quarter when they were already down 24-7.

No, the more conference games the better. It’s even worse in the sec since they have an automatic cross divisional rivalry game so 7 of your 8 conference game are locked in every year, it’s almost like they aren’t in the same conference.
The NCAA is not going to make them change their scheduling so the PAC 12 (and others) will be handicapped. That late season cupcake is a huge advantage.

Back