What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

#Fire Coach Dorrell

0.00 dollars of your tax money goes to CU athletics. If you are lobbing criticism from your taxpayer tower, Iā€™d expect you to know a basic truth that is littered across this entire forum.
All true, but every job I've ever had if I don't get the job done I know I am going to get canned. I guess that coaches are so valuable that they get the money regardless of performance, but it is still absurd.

Are you willing to admit when you're dead wrong?

ā˜ļøā˜ļøā˜ļø

U Mad Reaction GIF by Bobby Shmurda

Ok, if they supposedly have that much $. What the hell are they doing sitting on it. not talking about athletics. How about new buildings, south campus, grants, student aid, etc.. this whole university is a **** show.

Are you willing to admit when you're dead wrong?
What in his posting history makes you think he would be?

Ok, if they supposedly have that much $. What the hell are they doing sitting on it. not talking about athletics. How about new buildings, south campus, grants, student aid, etc.. this whole university is a **** show.

They have poured at least a billion dollars into CU Anschutz and UCCS in the last 15 years. Thatā€™s a conservative guess. But I agree. Itā€™s time to focus on CU-Boulder again.

Also, can you get Fred 1 back?

Last edited:
DiStefano doesnā€™t care about the football program. It is the direct opposite of micromanagement.
Your concept is that the AD is separate so it shouldnā€™t rely on broader university funds. OK, then the AD should be able to get any athlete it wants to transfer, not have to get every contract approved by Regents, and not allow the Chancellor to dictate anything, right?

Your concept is that the AD is separate so it shouldnā€™t rely on broader university funds. OK, then the AD should be able to get any athlete it wants to transfer, not have to get every contract approved by Regents, and not allow the Chancellor to dictate anything, right?
The Athletic Department needs to be independent in order to flourish, including not asking to borrow money from the school.

The Regents (not DiStefano so irrelevant to the matter) are a rubber stamp. The Athletic Department is in debt due to mismanagment (hence my bad credit comment earlier ITT). If the Athletic Department were revenue positive for the University instead of being its broke child begging for money, they would be able to call the shots regarding player admissions. Instead, when they have to beg the school for money for every five years, the academic part of the school starts to wonder about the ROI (as they should).

IF the AD wishes to be independent begging the school for money ainā€™t it.

The Athletic Department needs to be independent in order to flourish, including not asking to borrow money from the schoom.

The Regents (not DiStefano so irrelevant to the matter) are a rubber stamp. The Athletic Department is in debt due to mismanagment (hence my bad credit comment earlier ITT). If the Athletic Department were revenue positive for the University instead of being its broke child begging for money, they would be able to call the shots regarding player admissions. Instead, when they have to beg the school for money for every five years, the academic part of the school starts to wonder about the ROI (as they should).

IF the AD wishes to be independent begging the school for money ainā€™t it.
The AD is revenue positive most years (at least they were in 2019 iirc). Covid changed that, but even the ****ty football program makes money. They need to be pouring more resources into it in order for it to have a larger ROI. Itā€™s not hard

The AD is revenue positive most years (at least they were in 2019 iirc). Covid changed that, but even the ****ty football program makes money. They need to be pouring more resources into it in order for it to have a larger ROI. Itā€™s not hard
The AD was barely positive in 2019 after recovering from the macintyre contract debacle. The revenue positivity needs to put money in the mouths of the school to shut them up. The school feeding the AD invites more scrutiny than it needs.

The AD doesnā€™t take a loan from its athletic conference if the School is financially supportive. Pretty sure this is all a PD issue. If Sailman is ok with the AD borrowing money from the School (and PD has no pull anymore) then itā€™ll happen and they can do a lot of things to turn this around.

The AD was barely positive in 2019 after recovering from the macintyre contract debacle. The revenue positivity needs to put money in the mouths of the school to shut them up. The school feeding the AD invites more scrutiny than it needs.
Again, a mentality that got CU as an institution where it is today. An AD viewed as a burden instead of an asset. ****ty academics and ****ty athletics.

Again, a mentality that got CU as an institution where it is today. An AD viewed as a burden instead of an asset. ****ty academics and ****ty athletics.
The most successful programs in the country operate exactly as Iā€™ve described. The AD is separate and gets to do what they want because they make big money. They donā€™t have to beg, borrow, and plead for the school to financially support sports.

Thatā€™s a totally different investment: physical facilities that help to enhance the aesthetic image of the campus vs. buying out salaries and paying off the creditors for a department thatā€™s supposed to be self-sufficient. The money exists. It just doesnā€™t exist for the feckless Athletic Directorā€™s foul-ups.

The CU AD has borrowed money before to buyout a failed head coach. They will do it again, depending on how bad it gets. Everyone is underestimating the degree to which RG has been sucking-up to Regents, DiStefano and the new President to look good and save his own job. Those numerous meetings with the Regents on the status of the PAC Conference realignment were an obvious attempt by RG to further ingratiate himself to the leadership of CU. His only real concern is to get himself paid and to stay employed, which he successfuly navigated about a year ago to the tune of $1 mm per year ($250,000 raise) for five years, while managing a failed football program and a group of unhappy employees in the AD.

I do agree the AD is horribly mismanaged, which is why I would prefer to get rid of deadweight RG and hire a new AD before firing KD. I am worried that, paradoxically, if this team goes 1-11 or 0-12, RG be able to save his job by throwing KD under-the-bus and being allowed to hire another football coach.

The CU AD has borrowed money before to buyout a failed head coach. They will do it again, depending on how bad it gets. Everyone is underestimating the degree to which RG has been sucking-up to Regents, DiStefano and the new President to look good and save his own job. Those numerous meetings with the Regents on the status of the PAC Conference realignment were an obvious attempt by RG to further ingratiate himself to the leadership of CU. His only real concern is to get himself paid and to stay employed, which he successfuly navigated about a year ago to the tune of $1 mm per year ($250,000 raise) for five years, while managing a failed football program and a group of unhappy employees in the AD.

I do agree the AD is horribly mismanaged, which is why I would prefer to get rid of deadweight RG and hire a new AD before firing KD. I am worried that, paradoxically, if this team goes 1-11 or 0-12, RG be able to save his job by throwing KD under-the-bus and being allowed to hire another football coach.
It pains me to agree with you!

The most successful programs in the country operate exactly as Iā€™ve described. The AD is separate and gets to do what they want because they make big money. They donā€™t have to beg, borrow, and plead for the school to financially support sports.
Youā€™re absolutely right, but itā€™s chicken and egg for CU. Every single University overseeing every successful program would step in if needed to provide support for the AD. Every single successful program has a broader University that has knocked down all the admission and transfer hurdles, created general studies-type degree programs, Instituted pro-athletic administrations, etc. The most successful programs have the entire Institutional backing.

A lot of banter of finances here. Bottomline, if donors bail, crowds and the money they bring in are dismal, the AD will be forced to cut some sports or get relief from the University, with a plan to turn it around. To me, the question is, can RG develop a business plan that instills confidence in the board to loan the AD funds, given the unwavering support RG gives to Dorrell who is clearly in WAY over his head. I am not sure RG has the vision at this point that warrants trust and confidence from the University.
However, if the University does nothing, CU athletics will be so inefficient, with no TV revenue or gate money, they will become even more financially dependent on the University.
Bail the AD out now or have them become a liability long term...

Youā€™re absolutely right, but itā€™s chicken and egg for CU. Every single University overseeing every successful program would step in if needed to provide support for the AD. Every single successful program has a broader University that has knocked down all the admission and transfer hurdles, created general studies-type degree programs, Instituted pro-athletic administrations, etc. The most successful programs have the entire Institutional backing.
It is not chicken-egg. The most successful programs have buy-in from their schools because the Athletic Department makes so much money that they get to call the shots. In the schools where the Athletic Departmentā€™s revenues are insufficient to tell academics to STFU, the level of support wanes dramatically.

Successful programs all have received support from their schools at times. Just because they donā€™t get it now doesnā€™t mean they havenā€™t, or wouldnā€™t if the need arose. Thatā€™s why theyā€™re successful. Itā€™s true that Phil doesnā€™t care about the athletic department. Thatā€™s the problem. Heā€™s like an absentee father who doesnā€™t pay child support and tells his ex to suck it up.

It is not chicken-egg. The most successful programs have buy-in from their schools because the Athletic Department makes so much money that they get to call the shots. In the schools where the Athletic Departmentā€™s revenues are insufficient to tell academics to STFU, the level of support wanes dramatically.
I understand there are aspects where the CUAD alone has fallen well short that have hindered the football program, but CUAD and CU Football specifically have shown year after year they are net positive or net neutral at worst from a revenue standpoint, and that's when they have been really ****ty on the field. It's not a hard concept to grasp that the "parent company" investing resources into one of their most visible subsidiaries is the right move in order to see long term growth of said subsidiary.

So how do you get buy-in from the school? Become a better athletic department by making more money. How do you become a better athletic department and make more money? In part, by getting the school to increase their support by removing barriers to entry for top athletes, agreeing to a robust recruiting department, approving competitive contracts for top coaches, ensuring the program doesn't have to go an extra year with an awful staff losing even more money, etc. Once CUAD isn't trying to operate with both hands tied behind their back, relative to their peer institutions, the conversation can be had about who is leading the AD and why the football program isn't bringing in enough money to tell the school to STFU.

TL/DR... Until the school decides it wants the football program to be successful, it doesn't matter who is running the AD. It goes hand in hand.

RGā€™s initial hire appeared strong, only to carpet bag onto Mich. State. He then was forced into an off cycle, desperation that was doomed from the start. At the time I naively thought this is a bandaid they will replace quickly. Instead theyā€™ve doubled down. Last week on my evening drive the local play by play guys said ā€œCU needs to stop talking about if they land in the big 12 or big 10 and just join the mtn west.ā€ When BYU and Utah guys have written you off, your transition to the PAC was/is historically bad.

I understand there are aspects where the CUAD alone has fallen well short that have hindered the football program, but CUAD and CU Football specifically have shown year after year they are net positive or net neutral at worst from a revenue standpoint, and that's when they have been really ****ty on the field. It's not a hard concept to grasp that the "parent company" investing resources into one of their most visible subsidiaries is the right move in order to see long term growth of said subsidiary.

So how do you get buy-in from the school? Become a better athletic department by making more money. How do you become a better athletic department and make more money? In part, by getting the school to increase their support by removing barriers to entry for top athletes, agreeing to a robust recruiting department, approving competitive contracts for top coaches, ensuring the program doesn't have to go an extra year with an awful staff losing even more money, etc. Once CUAD isn't trying to operate with both hands tied behind their back, relative to their peer institutions, the conversation can be had about who is leading the AD and why the football program isn't bringing in enough money to tell the school to STFU.

TL/DR... Until the school decides it wants the football program to be successful, it doesn't matter who is running the AD. It goes hand in hand.
I feel like you keep ignoring a few issues:

1) the Athletic Department has not been significantly net positive for many years due to mismanagement. The academic part of the institution has supported the Athletic Department in the past on several occasions by helping them pay buyouts of other failed coaches and to build facilities. The continued mismanagement by the Athletic Directors has not earned the Athletic Department any good will.

2) What has also eroded the good will of the school is that the Athletic Department has not proven to be a net positive investment for the school in two decades. The Athletic Department has been a player in major conference sports for nearly four decades. Yet, due to mismanagement, the Athletic Department needs bailouts from the school when the funds flow should be exactly the opposite. This is especially troublesome now that major college sports are making more money now than they ever have before.

3) You cannot have it both ways with admissions. If the school needs to bail out the Athletic Department, that gives the academic side the authority to decide whatever the hell they want WRT admissions, transfer rules, etc. IF the Athletic Department wants its independence, they will need to get their own money and stop asking the academics for their routine semi-decade bailout. IF the Athletic Department wants to get help with admissions, they need to be resourceful AND figure a way to make enough money to via fundraising that they produce a competitive product while also paying the school enough money to STFU and leave Athletics alone.

TLDR: it is absurd to demand independence from daddy when youā€™re too broke to pay your own bills.

Back