What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

#Fire Coach Dorrell

How much worse does the O need to get before we officially owe Chiaverini an apology?
His offense was awful, no apology will ever be necessary. I am surprised that his offense wasn't rock bottom, but Sanford has regressed offense and QB play at every stop so apparently we're not at rock bottom yet.Really it's impressive if you think about it... Sanford had to think "This is the one... I can finally improve an offense..." and he still failed.

Is there any likelihood that we fire Dorrell this season? Does RG do it or is that too big of an indictment of himself as AD? Who higher up in the chain of command would make this happen? I can't imagine DiStefano firing RG or KD and I can't imagine RG firing KD without DiStefano's support. Nebraska ponying up $7.5 million to fire a guy three weeks early is almost too much to bear.

Is there any likelihood that we fire Dorrell this season? Does RG do it or is that too big of an indictment of himself as AD? Who higher up in the chain of command would make this happen? I can't imagine DiStefano firing RG or KD and I can't imagine RG firing KD without DiStefano's support. Nebraska ponying up $7.5 million to fire a guy three weeks early is almost too much to bear.
Any self respecting program would fire him immediately after the Minnesota blowout this weekend and definitely no longer than the bye week. I think 0-12 or 1-11 does get him fired, but our ****ed up admin will wait until Jan 1 and put themselves behind the 8 ball in hiring anyone.

Karl’s press conference today included “youth” in almost every sentence that fell out of his mouth
In today's college football where 1) Every kid is artificially "younger" because of COVID and 2) the transfer portal, having a young, inexperienced team is not an excuse. It is a failure to manage the roster. There was no reason for us to sign 25 HS kids this past year. That age of CFB is over.

The university has a $1+ billion Endowment and $2 billion annual budget. The AD can easily borrow the $ from the school itself - that's the only viable option.

However, if it were my decision, I would not lend a nickel to the the AD until RG was fired. He needs to be terminated ASAP.
The University of Colorado’s endowment isn’t going to loan the AD money. Bad credit.

And, yes, obviously, RG needs to be gone.

I believe the payment for the loan is actually from the conference withholding a certain % of the total distributions to CU and not CU actually writing a check. So, yeah, I actually do feel like if the conference dissolves, CU would be off the hook, or they just wouldn't receive a full share of assets that are divided among the members if/when it does dissolve.
I’m sure this is a major reason why Colorado didn’t defect to the Big 12…

We need Rip and a train station
One Direction Train GIF by Yellowstone

Dumb question time (and I assume the worst because RG did the contract) - if we fire him I know his salary is guaranteed so we have to pay every bloody cent, but do we have to do it all up front when he's fired or is it payable over the length of the contract? And if it's up front if he's fired, what if we give him a cushy no-show job and "re-assign" him, can we then pay it over the length of the contract?

Yeah, I'm grasping at straws here, but it's all we have at this point.
I’m assuming they’ll attempt to negotiate a buyout to reduce the amount AND pay via lay-away. If the reduction doesn’t work, they’ll pay via lay-away.

The University of Colorado’s endowment isn’t going to loan the AD money. Bad credit.

And, yes, obviously, RG needs to be gone.

the CU Foundation contributed $10 mm to facilities upgrade. Either way, the university can easily find $10 mm in a $2 billion budget, assuming anyone in the admin cares. I would first spend $4 mm, with the hope of negotiating a lower $, to buyout RG, who has become stale, lazy and disturbingly self-interested. I think he’s a bigger problem than KD.

His offense was awful, no apology will ever be necessary. I am surprised that his offense wasn't rock bottom, but Sanford has regressed offense and QB play at every stop so apparently we're not at rock bottom yet.Really it's impressive if you think about it... Sanford had to think "This is the one... I can finally improve an offense..." and he still failed.

The offense last year and this year is Dorrell's. He just re-arranged the deck chairs
I was assured there was absolutely no way the offense could get any worse. Unpossible. Can’t happen.

the CU Foundation contributed $10 mm to facilities upgrade. Either way, the university can easily find $10 mm in a $2 billion budget, assuming anyone in the admin cares. I would first spend $4 mm, with the hope of negotiating a lower $, to buyout RG, who has become stale, lazy and disturbingly self-interested. I think he’s a bigger problem than KD.
That’s a totally different investment: physical facilities that help to enhance the aesthetic image of the campus vs. buying out salaries and paying off the creditors for a department that’s supposed to be self-sufficient. The money exists. It just doesn’t exist for the feckless Athletic Director’s foul-ups.

That’s a totally different investment: physical facilities that help to enhance the aesthetic image of the campus vs. buying out salaries and paying off the creditors for a department that’s supposed to be self-sufficient. The money exists. It just doesn’t exist for the feckless Athletic Director’s foul-ups.
Eh, the mission of the academic institution and athletic success are tied together in 2022. We know this. The “front porch”, the true marketing arm of the University is the football program. It would be wise for the University to treat its marketing department well.

Eh, the mission of the academic institution and athletic success are tied together in 2022. We know this. The “front porch”, the true marketing arm of the University is the football program. It would be wise for the University to treat its marketing department well.
I don’t think DiStephano or the regents are wise to this, but they should be. Colorado is more reliant on out of state applications than possibly any other major university in the country. Not being on TV, and getting your brains beaten in amidst a completely empty stadium whenever you are, is a horrible lure for getting a bunch of rich California kids to spend their parents money on a middle of the road school halfway across the country.

Sure, but that’s not the view of the CU Foundation.

It’s such bull**** that a public employee can have a guaranteed contract worth tens of millions of dollars with no strings attached regardless of performance AND have that position be one for the entertainment arm of the university. I understand the importance of college football financially to colleges and understand the need to be competitive with hiring, but having the highest paid public employee in the state be one that isn’t even still working because they failed at their job shouldn’t be legal in the first place. I say this as a taxpayer, CU alum, and huge college football fan. This is why college athletics is really losing its appeal and why I don’t donate a dime to universities anymore. There is just too much absolute scam nonsense going around. The KD situation just magnified everything wrong with the state of the sport

It’s such bull**** that a public employee can have a guaranteed contract worth tens of millions of dollars with no strings attached regardless of performance AND have that position be one for the entertainment arm of the university. I understand the importance of college football financially to colleges and understand the need to be competitive with hiring, but having the highest paid public employee in the state be one that isn’t even still working because they failed at their job shouldn’t be legal in the first place. I say this as a taxpayer, CU alum, and huge college football fan. This is why college athletics is really losing its appeal and why I don’t donate a dime to universities anymore. There is just too much absolute scam nonsense going around. The KD situation just magnified everything wrong with the state of the sport
Salary isn't paid by the state, so the salaries don't bother me. The AD pretty much pays for itself other & pays the university for the tuition value of all scholarships.

That's no excuse for mismanagement and bad contracts. But, honestly, the university should be willing to underwrite serious deficits in order to turn this around. In the scope of the overall CU-B budget and what football means for marketing, fundraising, applications, diversity and community engagement, running an annual deficit of $20M per year should be an easy decision if that's what it took.

0.00 dollars of your tax money goes to CU athletics. If you are lobbing criticism from your taxpayer tower, I’d expect you to know a basic truth that is littered across this entire forum.

Exactly. Imagine being an organization that size and allowing your main PR & marketing arm to significantly decrease the public's perception because you wanted to save $10 million.
People can yammer on all they want about how it’s not the University mission to fund bad athletic department decisions, but to the contrary, it actually is the University’s job to ensure all aspects of the institution are succeeding. Honestly, it’s this “AD is separate and self sufficient” mindset that has gotten CU football where it is

A multi billion $? I say bull****! Colorado doesn’t have billions.
Are you willing to admit when you're dead wrong?

Back