What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

#FireROD (UPDATE: #woot!)

No sub needed.
I really like how he focused on "you have to believe you can block the guy in front of you".
Also - great point on how the position is tough, not a lot of fun, unless you are winning (winning games, or even battles).

And he also did confirm that he'd worked with the offense (and defense) this season as I'd previously thought I'd heard somewhere. I now recall hearing it at a recent gathering from an ex OL.

And if the OL plays better each week, I have no problem with this guy getting the full time gig. It's not like KD is going to have a lot to offer to tier-1 OL coaches out there. If the kids respond to him, that's a big plus.
He seems to be liked by the players

If he performs and shows he can recruit, I'm ok with economizing here and using the money to upgrade on an OC/QB and bringing in a new WR Coach who would need to be the primary recruiter for the offense other than QBs.

One guy I'd take a hard look at for WR is former KU HC David Beaty.

KU tried to play a game of saying they'd fired him with cause (done by the AD who had to be run out over the Miles situation). He fought it. He won. Just cleared a couple weeks ago from any wrongdoing by the NCAA.

He's a Texas guy (former HS Coach) who has been a top recruiter at Rice, Kansas and Texas A&M. UT even hired him as a consultant in 2019 because of his TX recruiting connections.

So...

If we could end up with something like Wells or Spavital as OC/QB with Beaty as WR by keeping/promoting Vlachos, I'd be a happy panda. I think the budget numbers would work for that, too.

If he performs and shows he can recruit, I'm ok with economizing here and using the money to upgrade on an OC/QB and bringing in a new WR Coach who would need to be the primary recruiter for the offense other than QBs.

KU tried to play a game of saying they'd fired him with cause (done by the AD who had to be run out over the Miles situation). He fought it. He won. Just cleared a couple weeks ago from any wrongdoing by the NCAA.

He's a Texas guy (former HS Coach) who has been a top recruiter at Rice, Kansas and Texas A&M. UT even hired him as a consultant in 2019 because of his TX recruiting connections.

So...

If we could end up with something like Wells or Spavital as OC/QB with Beaty as WR by keeping/promoting Vlachos, I'd be a happy panda. I think the budget numbers would work for that, too.
Makes perfect sense. Which is why it won’t happen.

So...

Help me with Wells, why do we think he’d be a good OC? I think he’s only spent 1 year as an OC in his career back in 2012 when Utah State was still in the WAC. As a HC his offenses seem to be just ok. What am I missing with him?

Help me with Wells, why do we think he’d be a good OC? I think he’s only spent 1 year as an OC in his career back in 2012 when Utah State was still in the WAC. As a HC his offenses seem to be just ok. What am I missing with him?
Yep. Mostly a QB Coach with pass game and/or recruiting coordination the rest of his non-HC career. But that 1 year he was full OC resulted in the best season Utah State has ever had and its HC getting the Wisconsin job.

Yep. Mostly a QB Coach with pass game and/or recruiting coordination the rest of his non-HC career. But that 1 year he was full OC resulted in the best season Utah State has ever had and its HC getting the Wisconsin job.
Not to diminish him, but 1 good year 9 years ago in the WAC? Has he turned out any really good QBs?

I don’t know if this program can afford to take a chance by hiring him as full time OL coach, but he definitely feels like a guy who will get there soon.
I mean; it looks like we're stuck with KD. Could it possibly be any worse than the OL coaching this year?

I mean; it looks like we're stuck with KD. Could it possibly be any worse than the OL coaching this year?
Of course not, but I assume we all *hope* KD is looking to bring in a veteran OL coach who maybe also has a recruiting history. As nik said, if Vlachos gets this OL playing better the rest of the season, and they save money there in order to bring in a legit OC/QB and WR coach, I'm all for it. I'm not holding my breath on all that happening, though.

Langsdorf to OC/QB
Vlachos to OL
Some NFL type to WR

That's kind of what I expect.

Of course not, but I assume we all *hope* KD is looking to bring in a veteran OL coach who maybe also has a recruiting history. As nik said, if Vlachos gets this OL playing better the rest of the season, and they save money there in order to bring in a legit OC/QB and WR coach, I'm all for it. I'm not holding my breath on all that happening, though.

Langsdorf to OC/QB
Vlachos to OL
Some NFL type to WR

That's definitely what's happening IMO.

He seems to be liked by the players

Players always love the GAs. Lots in common and a daily connection because they're the front line at practice. My son's favorite GA rolls into EVERY film session, stands in front, grabs his junk and yells, "WHAT'S UP MOTHERFVCKERS!" at the top of his voice. The team loves it. Bonus - he's wicked smart when it comes to the sport.

Langsdorf to OC/QB
Vlachos to OL
Some NFL type to WR

KD seems to have a preference for hiring guys who are "experienced" which is a nice way of saying on the downside and coasting.

I'd much rather go with a guy like Vlachos who is young and upcoming and feels like he has a need to prove something both coaching and recruiting than some older guy who did it in the past and now figures he is past proving things on his way to retirement.

Players always love the GAs. Lots in common and a daily connection because they're the front line at practice. My son's favorite GA rolls into EVERY film session, stands in front, grabs his junk and yells, "WHAT'S UP MOTHERFVCKERS!" at the top of his voice. The team loves it. Bonus - he's wicked smaht when it comes to the sport.
Fify for Bahston

Players always love the GAs. Lots in common and a daily connection because they're the front line at practice. My son's favorite GA rolls into EVERY film session, stands in front, grabs his junk and yells, "WHAT'S UP MOTHERFVCKERS!" at the top of his voice. The team loves it. Bonus - he's wicked smart when it comes to the sport.
I should try that at my next board meeting.

Langsdorf to OC/QB
Vlachos to OL
Some NFL type to WR

I understand why the narrative that Langsdorf is a shoe in to slot into the OC gig exists, but I think it might be more realistic if it seemed like B Lewis had made significant strides this season. Not so sure how pleased KD and RG are with the development in the QB room.

I understand why the narrative that Langsdorf is a shoe in to slot into the OC gig exists, but I think it might be more realistic if it seemed like B Lewis had made significant strides this season. Not so sure how pleased KD and RG are with the development in the QB room.
It’s cute that you’re under the impression that KD and RG GAF about the development of the QB room.

I'm not as passionately anti RG as many on here (yet).
Pro's - he stepped in immediately, made plans, and did upgrade Folsom Field.
He upgraded the Keg.
He did a first class job of recruiting Midnight Mel
He is a sound fundraiser
He loves CU

Cons - stung by the Tucker exit, he wanted to stabilize the program with a coach who wouldn't bolt. That clouded his sight, not going after a big time hire as he had previously.
Contract negotiations are a problem.

IMO, if he were to cut ties with Dorrell at seasons end and bring in another big hire, he would regain some of the excellence he has shown in several areas. Several folks who are outraged now, were singing a different tune when Dorrell was hired. It was an underwhelming hire, but if you went back to that time, everyone was upset that Midnight Mel bolted and having stability seemed like a good idea at the time. I measure RG more, by what he does next. Does he sit on Dorrell and allow things to get even worse, or does he revert to the RG who was on a mission back in 2019 to bring in the home run coach (which he did). Let's hope if that does occur, there is oversight on the contracts - he needs to realize that is a pain point and he may need support/direction to avoid 3 bad HC contracts in a row (which is his worst failure, IMO).
Let's see how the next few games go. If CU goes at least 2-2, I'm fine with Dorrell staying provided the offensive staff is entirely new. If CU puts up 4 more clunkers like the Cal game, he needs to go.

Let's see how the next few games go. If CU goes at least 2-2, I'm fine with Dorrell staying provided the offensive staff is entirely new. If CU puts up 4 more clunkers like the Cal game, he needs to go.
He’s not going to go even with four clunkers but I agree there are some less intimidating games on the schedule. So we’ll find out if the effort on offense against Oregon had more to do with them coasting after getting a big lead or real progress. The offense is going to have to step up because the D is downright scary right now.

I should try that at my next board meeting.
I still do that. But when does it become inappropriate? Asking for a friend.

If Jambalaya Rod takes a HS football job, it would be entertaining to see him pull into the faculty lot in his tricked out Sprinter.

So...

Beaty would be an awesome hire. He may be looking at OC somewhere tho and I wouldn't be against him filling that pos at CU, as long as he recruits.

It’s cute that you’re under the impression that KD and RG GAF about the development of the QB room.
Even if they did, what they'll say is, "Well- we had unidentified problems with the OL. ANY QB would have struggled under those conditions. Langsdorf did the best he could in those circumstances. Let's see what he can do when we turn him loose!"

He’s not going to go even with four clunkers but I agree there are some less intimidating games on the schedule. So we’ll find out if the effort on offense against Oregon had more to do with them coasting after getting a big lead or real progress. The offense is going to have to step up because the D is downright scary right now.
NARRATOR (Morgan Freeman voice): "Turns out, it had had everything to do with them coasting."

Back