What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

#FireROD (UPDATE: #woot!)

This is why RG has been totally 100% negligent in doing his job. He ****ed up HCMM's buyout and we way overpaid for that. He allowed dip**** Jim Leavitt to sit around trying to unseat HCMM in what was a very awkward situation that RG should have figured out much quicker (he eventually did and realized Leavitt was an asshole). He's been somehow manipulated by Coach Chev for 5 years despite little production from the guy outside of being a decent WR coach.And he got played by Mel, then panicked (most importantly). The hiring of KD is not how professional ADs go about hiring a head football coach.

There's a lot of really good coaching options he could have chosen, although most without the flash and shininess of Sark. But finding a solid HC with a verifiable expertise as a current or former coordinator, with a Rolodex of CFB assistants was not too much to ask. There was no "pressing timeframe" to get a guy in house urgently as many on here opined at the time. Recruiting was done and RG could have taken an extra 2 weeks. He clearly panicked and then decided that CU had to pay top dollar because why? Show? WTF Rick, this is real coin, a bit of it that I personally donated (not much from his view, but plenty from where I sit).

I want Rick George to resign.
To add to this, RG paid RodSled $100k more than Demtrice Martin, and $25k more than Danny Langsdorf. Who the hell was RG bidding against?

RG just signed a contract extension. He won’t be fired nor will he resign. In addition, he will almost certainly be here long enough to hire KDs replacement. Let that work it’s way around in your mind for a while. You usually want to get your AD hired before you hire your new head coach. That won’t be the case with CU. We can’t seem to get out of our own way.

Personally, I think RG does want to win. As has been pointed out in several posts, the problem is institutional, not individual as much. Though there is a lot of blame to go around.

There are definitely institutional problems. However not one of those problems influences anything in @buffaholic ’s post.

RG sucks. And if he wasn’t the bag man for Mac the fan base would have turned on him YEARS ago. Sadly, the fact he was Mac’s bag man is still allowing a chunk of the fan base to ignore that fact.

RG just signed a contract extension. He won’t be fired nor will he resign. In addition, he will almost certainly be here long enough to hire KDs replacement. Let that work it’s way around in your mind for a while. You usually want to get your AD hired before you hire your new head coach. That won’t be the case with CU. We can’t seem to get out of our own way.
I really do not want RG, LC or Dr. Phil anywhere near the next HC hire.

Personally, I think RG does want to win. As has been pointed out in several posts, the problem is institutional, not individual as much. Though there is a lot of blame to go around.
I have no doubt that RG is passionate about the Buffs and wants CU to return to prominence as much as anyone. I also believe his strengths lie in donor relations, fundraising, and being a great ambassador of the AD. Unfortunately his weaknesses seems to be formulating contingency plans and contract negotiations.

This is why RG has been totally 100% negligent in doing his job. He ****ed up HCMM's buyout and we way overpaid for that. He allowed dip**** Jim Leavitt to sit around trying to unseat HCMM in what was a very awkward situation that RG should have figured out much quicker (he eventually did and realized Leavitt was an asshole). He's been somehow manipulated by Coach Chev for 5 years despite little production from the guy outside of being a decent WR coach.And he got played by Mel, then panicked (most importantly). The hiring of KD is not how professional ADs go about hiring a head football coach.

There's a lot of really good coaching options he could have chosen, although most without the flash and shininess of Sark. But finding a solid HC with a verifiable expertise as a current or former coordinator, with a Rolodex of CFB assistants was not too much to ask. There was no "pressing timeframe" to get a guy in house urgently as many on here opined at the time. Recruiting was done and RG could have taken an extra 2 weeks. He clearly panicked and then decided that CU had to pay top dollar because why? Show? WTF Rick, this is real coin, a bit of it that I personally donated (not much from his view, but plenty from where I sit).

Honestly, we're not getting KD fired anytime soon.

And idk what RG's buyout is, but that's the one we need to work on asap. We can't let this clown hire or fire another coach. I figure we have the rest of this year plus next at least before we can even think about firing KD due to the absurd contract he was given, but surely we can afford to buyout RG's contract. Surely he signed a terrible deal for himself, no?

I really do not want RG, LC or Dr. Phil anywhere near the next HC hire.
JMHO, but I think it’s an almost certainty that both RG and LC will be involved with the next coaching hire. Dr Phil is of an age where he really should have retired about five years ago, so I’m expecting that to happen here pretty soon, possibly after the new President comes in and sees what an incompetent dip**** he has running the Boulder Campus.

I have no doubt that RG is passionate about the Buffs and wants CU to return to prominence as much as anyone. I also believe his strengths lie in donor relations, fundraising, and being a great ambassador of the AD. Unfortunately his weaknesses seems to be formulating contingency plans and contract negotiations.
I think this is a very accurate description of RGs talents and shortcomings. If I’m trying to raise money, he’s my guy, no questions. If I’m trying to build a football program, I’m not convinced he’s the right man for the job.

Who is responsible for hiring the AD? DiStefano?

I think this is a very accurate description of RGs talents and shortcomings. If I’m trying to raise money, he’s my guy, no questions. If I’m trying to build a football program, I’m not convinced he’s the right man for the job.
The rub is that his ability to raise money is infinitely more difficult when the flagship program is in such terrible shape. Raising money for a Balch renovation or upgraded sound system has to be pretty tough right now.

There are definitely institutional problems. However not one of those problems influences anything in @buffaholic ’s post.

RG sucks. And if he wasn’t the bag man for Mac the fan base would have turned on him YEARS ago. Sadly, the fact he was Mac’s bag man is still allowing a chunk of the fan base to ignore that fact.
RG hired Mel Tucker. By all accounts a five star hire on the face of it. Tucker apparently couldnt get certain recruits admitted and then bolted for MSU for more money. Those are both institutional problems.

I pointed out when Rick George was hired he had had no experience in any of his past positions evaluating, managing, or hiring coaches. The IPF and Champions Center are his crowning achievements. Tucker was a good hire. KD appears to be a flop. I believe he will have undo that mistake. Unless the institution decides otherwise

I'm not as passionately anti RG as many on here (yet).
Pro's - he stepped in immediately, made plans, and did upgrade Folsom Field.
He upgraded the Keg.
He did a first class job of recruiting Midnight Mel
He is a sound fundraiser
He loves CU

Cons - stung by the Tucker exit, he wanted to stabilize the program with a coach who wouldn't bolt. That clouded his sight, not going after a big time hire as he had previously.
Contract negotiations are a problem.

IMO, if he were to cut ties with Dorrell at seasons end and bring in another big hire, he would regain some of the excellence he has shown in several areas. Several folks who are outraged now, were singing a different tune when Dorrell was hired. It was an underwhelming hire, but if you went back to that time, everyone was upset that Midnight Mel bolted and having stability seemed like a good idea at the time. I measure RG more, by what he does next. Does he sit on Dorrell and allow things to get even worse, or does he revert to the RG who was on a mission back in 2019 to bring in the home run coach (which he did). Let's hope if that does occur, there is oversight on the contracts - he needs to realize that is a pain point and he may need support/direction to avoid 3 bad HC contracts in a row (which is his worst failure, IMO).

I'm not as passionately anti RG as many on here (yet).
Pro's - he stepped in immediately, made plans, and did upgrade Folsom Field.
He upgraded the Keg.
He did a first class job of recruiting Midnight Mel
He is a sound fundraiser
He loves CU

Cons - stung by the Tucker exit, he wanted to stabilize the program with a coach who wouldn't bolt. That clouded his sight, not going after a big time hire as he had previously.
Contract negotiations are a problem.

IMO, if he were to cut ties with Dorrell at seasons end and bring in another big hire, he would regain some of the excellence he has shown in several areas. Several folks who are outraged now, were singing a different tune when Dorrell was hired. It was an underwhelming hire, but if you went back to that time, everyone was upset that Midnight Mel bolted and having stability seemed like a good idea at the time. I measure RG more, by what he does next. Does he sit on Dorrell and allow things to get even worse, or does he revert to the RG who was on a mission back in 2019 to bring in the home run coach (which he did). Let's hope if that does occur, there is oversight on the contracts - he needs to realize that is a pain point and he may need support/direction to avoid 3 bad HC contracts in a row (which is his worst failure, IMO).
The problem is RG can’t cut ties with Dorrell and bring in someone new because he made KD the highest paid coach in CU history and then fully guaranteed the contract. RG painted himself into a corner and there’s really no way out but to ride the storm.

Weren’t many in here panicking that he would leave to take the P12 commissioner job? I may be misremembering.

Can we keep him as the president so we don’t have to fire him and buy out his contract. And he’ll still fundraisers?

The problem is RG can’t cut ties with Dorrell and bring in someone new because he made KD the highest paid coach in CU history and then fully guaranteed the contract. RG painted himself into a corner and there’s really no way out but to ride the storm.
The Perfect Storm AD. Maybe we could get George Clooney, he could act like an AD.

Not sure if you need a sub or not, but I like Vlachos. Came to Boulder with Tucker and Kap. Seems like a very self aware guy who has BTDT at the highest level and knows what he’s talking about.

I don’t know if this program can afford to take a chance by hiring him as full time OL coach, but he definitely feels like a guy who will get there soon.

Not sure if you need a sub or not, but I like Vlachos. Came to Boulder with Tucker and Kap. Seems like a very self aware guy who has BTDT at the highest level and knows what he’s talking about.

I don’t know if this program can afford to take a chance by hiring him as full time OL coach, but he definitely feels like a guy who will get there soon.

Beat The Dog Teets?

No sub needed.
I really like how he focused on "you have to believe you can block the guy in front of you".
Also - great point on how the position is tough, not a lot of fun, unless you are winning (winning games, or even battles).

And he also did confirm that he'd worked with the offense (and defense) this season as I'd previously thought I'd heard somewhere. I now recall hearing it at a recent gathering from an ex OL.

And if the OL plays better each week, I have no problem with this guy getting the full time gig. It's not like KD is going to have a lot to offer to tier-1 OL coaches out there. If the kids respond to him, that's a big plus.

Back